Photo editing software

Jcandleattic

Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice inexpensive (or even free) photo editing software?

I think that would help me with my pictures and I'd be able to start using my dSLR.

I will have to look - it may come with an editing software, but I don't' think so... I've had the camera for well over a year and haven't even used it. :( (well, I tested it and couldn't take very good pics - they were okay, but I think a good editor might be the key for me) 

I haven't used my camera because I'm pretty intimidated by it. And this is coming from someone who took 4 years of photography, worked for a camera retailer and also a camera repair shop - SMH - I'm too old for all the new technology to really stick in my brain I guess - and it's frustrating!! LOL 

I use either Picasa or GIMP.

picasa is easy to learn, but not as full featured as GIMP. Cropping, white balance, straightening, etc are a snap.

GIMP is a knockoff of photoshop and is feature heavy. Has a steep learning curve to go along with it, but the possibilities (like creating transparent backgrounds to photos and logos and such) are excellent.

And gimp is free? I may have to download it just so I can play around. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, and with a steep learning curve, I may not be able to get it right away (which is why I wanted something inexpensive or free! LOL) but I can play and learn as I go... 

I'll look into Picasa too, because well, you know, it's free too! LOL 

Thank you TallTayl... 

• Like 1

GIMP is free (or last time i installed it).

They have loads of tutorials, and a few videos to teach the common stuff. I picked it up in under an hour, but i use loads of other similar software and knew what i was looking for, just took a bit to figure out their terms for things.

• 2 weeks later...

I use photoshop elements - it's the baby version of Photoshop and for the money it can due pretty much everything the big dog can

Once you learn it the possibilities are endless- I used to do a lot of photography before I started candles and I can't say enough good things about this program other than when you upgrade they move things around and you have to re-figure out where all the effects moved to- you can make panoramic- remove backgrounds- do tons of cool collages- change color tones and totally fix dark photos to nice and bright

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

Print shop, which I have been using for 12 years, wasn't expensive and it is a very comprehensive program. I bought Broderbund's Art Explosion (mostly a graphics program) a few years later and I can import from AE to Printshop.

Love, love, love Photoshop!!! Once you learn , you can do photo editing, digital scrapbooking, labels for products, brochures, etc.... I do all my labeling and marketing material myself - and have gotten pretty darn good at it. (If I do say so myself) It's really worth the time and $ investment.