I think I finally have mastered it!

MrsM

Im so happy to report that I think I finally have my winning reciepe.

Its been burning for 6hrs now and has a tiny melt pool and ht is awesum...so now its onto making christmas candles as gifts now I know I have a candle that works properly.

Thanks to everyone for their words of advice and encouragment x

post-11966-0-34277100-1411463658_thumb.j

• Like 3

Congratulations! It's so rewarding when it finally works isn't it.....I am sure you already know this but each fragrance should be tested before you sell if you haven't already because each FO doesn't behave the same and it's always a good idea to power burn each one as well as the normal hour per inch diameter to make sure they stay cool enough for those people that light candles and walk away for days

Have fun with it and yaaaay!

• Like 1

Hi Moonshine...thank you and no Im not selling my candles, just making them for family. Ive been at it for nearly 12months now and they keep asking me when are they getting their candles, but now I can say for xmas lol

I burnt this candle for 8hrs and it was perfect, not hot and the flame was steady and small, so Im very confident to unleash them on my loved ones.

Thank u x

Have you burned it all the way to the bottom yet? With my testing, when they hit the 1/2 way mark things usually change.

I hope you have & know your candle inside & out. I'm not trying to be arrogant or rude,(here comes the but!) but unless you're tested that candle for 1 hour for each inch width per burn & all the way to the bottom & than make a separate candle to powerburn, I don't feel it's safe to give, even as gifts. Good luck & if you've already done all of that stuff, awesome news!

Edited by ChandlerWicks
  • Like 4

Thanks ChandlerWicks....that candle in the pic has burned twice at 8hrs each burn and it gave the tinnest mp so Im pretty confident that half way down n further it will be even more perfect. My daughters are power burners, there have been several times I go into their rooms to blow out a candle as they "forget" its burning lol (not my candles store bought candles) and they are young adults not kids.

Like I said Ive been at this for nearly 1yr now, 1yr in nov, I have never ever gotten a mp on any of my test burns, well not a decent 1 anyways....It was just so exciting to see a decent mp finally after sooooooo many attemps. Im all for safety and thats why I have never given any candles to anyone and testing will always be happening with me as Im a perfectionist ;)

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Congratulations MrsM! You are really making progress and it is encouraging to have a few successes along the way. Wicking can be such a PITA, can't it? I also suggest being sure to get a few complete, top to bottom burns under your belt to make sure they perform as expected. There is NO substitute for being SURE! Keep up the good work :2cents:

I have to agree with what others have said. If you haven't test burned the entire candle from top to bottom it isn't ready to give away. Candles don't burn the same at the bottom as they do in the top half. The only way to test it for safety is to test burn the entire candle so you will know how it performs in the bottom half of the burn. I have seen jars crack, shatter, be too hot to touch, and that is just a few examples of what can happen.

• Like 4

Ditto- and I know you feel your loved ones are safe to give to but if your candle burns their house down or scorches their expensive antique table or etc....chances are they won't be so loved anymore- safety is always priority when it comes to candles- you have time before Christmas to test and retest and power burn all the scents you plan to give away

• Like 2

MrsM I just reread through this thread and hope that our answers didn't discourage you. They were meant to help and advise you.

I know how frustrating it is to work so hard to get that one candle just right. You are so close. At this point I think you probably do have it right. You just need to be sure and test burn the whole candle all the way down to the point it burns out on its own. I bet your wick will be just fine you just never know until you do. The warnings about what can happen are all true because its happened to me. I always test burn all the way down so I know how each portion of the candle burns. Good luck!

• Like 3

You all are so right. I have been testing candles since 2012 and sometimes feel like I still don't have my candle the way I really want it. During test burns, I notice my candle wicks burns really nice and rather steady, Until, it gets down inside of the jar. It flickers like you wouldn't believe. This just goes to show how candles burn differently from the top to the bottom.

Unfortunately, this is the only way to know how it will burn with your customers/family/friends. What you see is what they will see and get when they have your candle.

• Like 1

Im so happy to report that I think I finally have my winning reciepe.

Its been burning for 6hrs now and has a tiny melt pool and ht is awesum...so now its onto making christmas candles as gifts now I know I have a candle that works properly.

Thanks to everyone for their words of advice and encouragment x

MrsM! Look at how beautifully that candle is burning! :)  It is always so wonderful when you have finally gotten it all figured out!  Congrats on the hard work finally paying off!  You are on your way to becoming the Chandler Extraordinaire my dear!

Edited by puma52

• 2 weeks later...

Some of us wick for power burners and other don't. There are so many people that burn a candle for a matter of mins to an hr and they blow it out. In that case the candle will tunnel and usually die out. No one can make a perfect candle as no one burns them the same :)