Coconut Oil CP Soap

7 Pawz

Against all odds, I decided to try a recipe using 100 % coconut oil with 20% superfat, the only additive was fo.

The lye water was cooled to 100 degrees with the oil melted about 20 seconds in the microwave.

Doing a lot research told me that using all coconut oil was harsh, that it was best used as a cleaner, until I found info on another site ( I always viewed this as a reliable source), that suggested the oil itself wasn't harsh, but extra cleansing, that it may or may strip skin oils, and in their case, using the above recipe, got an hard, yet creamy bar of soap, not a big amount of bubbles, small, creamy lather.

So last night, I unmolded  the soap. Its curing now.  So far, it has cured to a pretty cream color, the soap was unmoled and cut within a 24 hour time period.   So, guess the next thing to do is wait and see, I can always do something else with it if I have to.

Many soapers successfully make coconut oil soap with a high super fat. I tried it once and did not like it for my skin, but I have made it for laundry soap - but used a very low sf. I think one of the exciting things about soaping is the experimenting. I love trying things that are not "suppose" to work or not commonly used... I guess I am a " have to see for myself" type person. I tend to learn the most from that.

Keep us updated. I would love to hear how it turns out and if you like it.

I love my Mariners soap! (100% CO) but, just like a Castile (100% OO) the longer the cure, the better the bar. I won't use mine before they have cured for at least 4 months, most of the time, 6-8. (just like with Castile)

And they will last FOREVER... I make mine in individual molds because to get a clean cut I have to cut while still warm or else they will be too hard to cut.

And harsh really is debatable and subjective. I have incredibly oily skin (always have) so a nice cleansing bar works wonders for my skin.

Also, when cured long enough with a 20% SF - IMO they are just as mild as any 6-8% SF mixed oil soap.  

Good luck and let us know what you think. :) 

Many soapers successfully make coconut oil soap with a high super fat. I tried it once and did not like it for my skin, but I have made it for laundry soap - but used a very low sf. I think one of the exciting things about soaping is the experimenting. I love trying things that are not "suppose" to work or not commonly used... I guess I am a " have to see for myself" type person. I tend to learn the most from that.

Keep us updated. I would love to hear how it turns out and if you like it.

I agree with you, I like to experiment as well, I did try a little sliver after the 24 hour time period, and it felt creamy, but my skin felt a little tight, but maybe after curing 30 days , there maybe a big difference

I love my Mariners soap! (100% CO) but, just like a Castile (100% OO) the longer the cure, the better the bar. I won't use mine before they have cured for at least 4 months, most of the time, 6-8. (just like with Castile)

And they will last FOREVER... I make mine in individual molds because to get a clean cut I have to cut while still warm or else they will be too hard to cut.

And harsh really is debatable and subjective. I have incredibly oily skin (always have) so a nice cleansing bar works wonders for my skin.

Also, when cured long enough with a 20% SF - IMO they are just as mild as any 6-8% SF mixed oil soap.  

Good luck and let us know what you think. :)

Oh great, this is good to know, I added Tree fo by Lebermuth, if this works like I hope it does, I think I've found a keeper:) will keep you all updated

Scented; Jcandleattic:

I read that article also, I am encouraged to think that this will work out.   Do you feel that the recipe would be a good one to try swirling for the first time, I didn't find that I had problems with it tracing, the fo I added didn't affect it other than turn it yellow at first.

I find my all CO recipe traces faster than my regular recipe. A nice slow to trace recipe might be a 100% OO or 100% lard. The two (and only two) times I made 100% lard soap it took FOREVER to trace - so that might be a good one depending on if you have qualms about using lard.

I've made a 75/25 oo/co soap and I had plenty of time to swirl with that recipe also. 

(I've made 100% OO but it's been a very long time since and I don't really remember how it went as far as speed, but I"m sure I had a lot of time to play)

Also this is from my experience soaping at RT. 

I find my all CO recipe traces faster than my regular recipe. A nice slow to trace recipe might be a 100% OO or 100% lard. The two (and only two) times I made 100% lard soap it took FOREVER to trace - so that might be a good one depending on if you have qualms about using lard.

I've made a 75/25 oo/co soap and I had plenty of time to swirl with that recipe also. 

(I've made 100% OO but it's been a very long time since and I don't really remember how it went as far as speed, but I"m sure I had a lot of time to play)

Also this is from my experience soaping at RT. 

I like using lard once in awhile, but have not poured a solid lard soap, that might be next,  I'm having fun just experimenting, since I'm just a hobbyist, I'll have to give some of away, you should see how much soap I have on hand these days :laugh2: I poured a 100% OO some years ago, don't remember the results from using, but the mold time was long, the oil came to the surface, I stirred it back in, it eventually hardened. Then, Ididn't soap at RT, but I sure do now

I like using lard once in awhile, but have not poured a solid lard soap, that might be next,  I'm having fun just experimenting, since I'm just a hobbyist, I'll have to give some of away, you should see how much soap I have on hand these days :laugh2: I poured a 100% OO some years ago, don't remember the results from using, but the mold time was long, the oil came to the surface, I stirred it back in, it eventually hardened. Then, Ididn't soap at RT, but I sure do now

Yeah, 100% OO can literally take months to cure. Most people make their 100% OO holiday soaps in January so they are ready the following December.