desk top publishing software

Ida

hi everyone! 

I make soy candles in 8oz and 16oz mason jars.  instead of making hang tags I recently purchased 2 1/2 inch diameter brown kraft labels and they fit perfectly on the lid!  I am having a hard time finding a program that is compatible with avery 22808 labels.  would love to hear what programs you all have chosen to design your labels and business cards.  the more user friendly the better!

thanks!

ida

Ida, I use the Avery software itself.  The one I have is called Designpro.  You can download software right form the Avery website.  

Go to Avery.com

Hover over Help

Choose Avery Software Help

Choose Design and Print

Download the PC or MAC version

You do have to fill out a form, but I believe that is the same software I have.

Here is the tricky part.  For some reason, Avery doesn't list all their various Items in the software.  What you can do though is find another Avery product with the same dimensions.  In your case, the Avery 5294 is a 2 1/2" diameter label.  It just happens to be white.

Hope the helps. 

I am an oddball, using mostly (really old versions) of Microsoft products for desktop publishing.

Some artwork is created or manipulated in PowerPoint, photos in Picasa. GIMP if i need to create the transparent background.

labels are constructed in either Access (for stock items) or Word for one-off.

If you understand the pieces, you can make simple or very complex layered work easily and (mostly) free.

javaeboy...thank you!  I've been to the avery site and I couldn't find the blank templates but I will do what you said and let you know if I have any more questions...thank you again

talltayi.....thank you also...I don't understand all the pieces!  but I appreciate your input!

The DesignPro that javaboy was talking about is a program. It has the label templates in the program. You download the program and use the software to create labels from pre-designed templates or blank templates. You can add pictures, edit them, redesign them, etc. It even has its own graphics with a huge selection so you have lots to choose from. It also comes with lots and lots of cool fonts. Its a wonderful, easy to learn program. I've been using it for years and my customers always tell me what beautiful labels I have and are always surprized that I did them myself instead of using a professional designer.

Why download a template when you can have a free labelmaking program with hundreds of templates  to choose from that you can bring up or even make a custom template of your own?

• Like 1

Why download a template when you can have a free labelmaking program with hundreds of templates to choose from that you can bring up or even make a custom template of your own?

Because those simple programs have some very real limitations. I like rich, unique, complex designs that free software simply cannot create. I like to tie in the labels with my production software so any changes (batch numbers and ingredients, for instance) are instantaneous and do not require a whole label redesign to accomplish.

To each their own. It all depends on how much time and effort the person at the keyboard wishes to invest creating their branding.

Ida, 

Avery also offers templates that can be downloaded into Word for those exact labels.  If you dig deep enough into DesignPro, it does give you the ability to create "custom" templates.  In this case, if you already have the 22808 labels at your disposal, you can "create" a new template that mimics the layout of those labels.  Given about 30 minutes or so, I am sure I could create one.  The only problem is that there would be no way to get it to you.  If I get the chance I'll try to find time in the next few days to provide you with a step by step guide to creating a "custom" template in DesignPro for those labels.

TallTayl,

Being an IT professional for over 30 years, I can tell you that even with DesignPro, I still have the ability to use other programs in conjunction with it.  I guess it all depends on what you have at your disposal and how much work you want to do.  I am able to use Photoshop, CorelDraw, MS Access and many others to enhance the more basic tools available in DesignPro.  I think for most people, DesignPro, gives them the tools they need.   

• Like 2

Ida,

If you check your messages, you will see I gave you step by step instructions (Not in Word) to create that custom template in DesignPro.  I would need your email to send you Word 2010 directions.  I don't think you will need them though.  I put my email address in the private message to you if you want to respond to it.  

• Like 1