Shelley @ DIYestore

laura9259

Where have you been?  Shelly closed everything and left us.  I used Designer 218 to copy my website before it went down. Mandi did a good job for me.  Anne only bought the advt part.  She cannot help us. 

Edited by bugtussle

• 2 weeks later...

Shelly sold DIY at the beginning of July and dumped her Client Assistants the same day with no warning. I worked for her for almost 8 years and that was the thanks I got. (It wasn't sold to Anne though--she only bought Prim Mart.) The sale fell through, however and Shelly decided to effectively close DIY. A short time later the programmer of DIY/Feature Cart emailed me and said he'd disabled the DIY website, which he only does for non-payment. I've had clients emailing me for months asking me what's going on etc. Sadly, I basically have to tell them they are s-c-r-e-w-e-d, and give them this story. Shelly just posted on mydiyestores dot com that she has closed DIY. The message is new, but it's been closed basically since July. And the sad part is that she has posted her email address there (shelly at diyestores dot com) for current clients to email her with support questions; but she can't even access that email account because the DIY domain is still disabled by the programmer. And she knows this, of course, so she posted a non-reachable email address on purpose. I suggest that if you have a website on DIY that you move it ASAP. My recommendation is Little Fish Hosting. It is run by a wonderful lady named Rachel, who used to work for DIY but left several years ago and opened her own hosting company. It is very affordable and she offers three different hosting packages, the highest of which is no more than what you are paying at DIY. Best of luck to anyone at DIY. I'm very sorry you have been treated this way, it is not right. Take care.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the details ArtChick.  This is really awful news but better to know than not.  The DIYestore.com registration expires November 14th.  Our websites are effectively on Shelly's webhosting account, correct?  If this is the case, it's reasonable to assume that on or shortly after November 14th, Shelly's webhosting will also come up for renewal.  If she does not renew, all the DIYestore accounts will go black.....just before Christmas.  

The reason for my inquiry is that I set up a client on DIYestore and would move her to another host but she's not sure she wants to continue the business past the end of the year.  (Fortunately, she doesn't have a bunch of customers depending on her services!)  For now, she just wants to run through Christmas and see how it goes.  The timing for the DIYestore renewals couldn't be worse. 

I think it's really scummy of Shelly not to communicate what's going on with her customers.  And even worse to dump her employees with no notice.  I'm sorry you've been treated so badly. 

The DIY client websites are not tied to Shelly's DIY domain itself. Her domain expires in November, and I'm sure she won't renew it, so the DIYeStores dot com domain will be gone. But that hosted website has been disabled for months by the programmer, and the domain itself only recently began forwarding to Shelly's other DIY website, which is mydiyestores dot com. Client sites for the DIYeStores dot com business  are separate though, which is why they're all still up and running, even though her main DIY site has been disabled since summer.

The programmer of the DIY websites is the person who created the website builder that DIY clients use, and also Feature Cart (the shopping cart). Shelly simply rented the system from him month to month for her business and clients. I don't know all the terms of her agreement with the programmer for all these years though. What I do know though is that just because the DIYeStores domain may well be gone after November 14, that doesn't mean all the client sites will be gone because they're not all linked together. But at some point, if only because Shelly may not be paying for the server space from the programmer for all the client sites, then those sites can be deleted by the programmer. I'm not saying he WILL do that, just that he CAN. I don't really see him doing that without warning to the clients. But since the whole situation is very unpredictable at this point, I'm just urging anyone with a DIY website to get new hosting as soon as possible. They are effectively receiving hosting with absolutely zero support and communication. That's just not a situation I'd want to be in if I had a website there. And the truly sad part is that most DIY clients are completely unaware that this is going on. :(

Thank you so much for the details ArtChick.  This is really awful news but better to know than not.  The DIYestore.com registration expires November 14th.  Our websites are effectively on Shelly's webhosting account, correct?  If this is the case, it's reasonable to assume that on or shortly after November 14th, Shelly's webhosting will also come up for renewal.  If she does not renew, all the DIYestore accounts will go black.....just before Christmas.  

The reason for my inquiry is that I set up a client on DIYestore and would move her to another host but she's not sure she wants to continue the business past the end of the year.  (Fortunately, she doesn't have a bunch of customers depending on her services!)  For now, she just wants to run through Christmas and see how it goes.  The timing for the DIYestore renewals couldn't be worse. 

I think it's really scummy of Shelly not to communicate what's going on with her customers.  And even worse to dump her employees with no notice.  I'm sorry you've been treated so badly. 

• Like 1

I think it was sold to some lady named Anne...sorry thats all i know...Im not really helping *shudder*

Anne purchased Prim Mart, EZ Craft Show, and EZShoppes which were once owned by Shelley. Later on, under ownership of Sheila Thomas, who I assisted in updating and marketing, sold them to Anne.  Only DIYestore is still with Shelley, all the rest is sold off.

The DIY client websites are not tied to Shelly's DIY domain itself. Her domain expires in November, and I'm sure she won't renew it, so the DIYeStores dot com domain will be gone. But that hosted website has been disabled for months by the programmer, and the domain itself only recently began forwarding to Shelly's other DIY website, which is mydiyestores dot com. Client sites for the DIYeStores dot com business  are separate though, which is why they're all still up and running, even though her main DIY site has been disabled since summer.

The programmer of the DIY websites is the person who created the website builder that DIY clients use, and also Feature Cart (the shopping cart). Shelly simply rented the system from him month to month for her business and clients. I don't know all the terms of her agreement with the programmer for all these years though. What I do know though is that just because the DIYeStores domain may well be gone after November 14, that doesn't mean all the client sites will be gone because they're not all linked together. But at some point, if only because Shelly may not be paying for the server space from the programmer for all the client sites, then those sites can be deleted by the programmer. I'm not saying he WILL do that, just that he CAN. I don't really see him doing that without warning to the clients. But since the whole situation is very unpredictable at this point, I'm just urging anyone with a DIY website to get new hosting as soon as possible. They are effectively receiving hosting with absolutely zero support and communication. That's just not a situation I'd want to be in if I had a website there. And the truly sad part is that most DIY clients are completely unaware that this is going on. :(

It's such a shame to see a great company go down hill this way leaving 100's of business owners in the dark about it. It doesn't make sense when she could have closed for new  clients, and just hire assistants to run it. It was making a lot of income. :( Thanks for sharing ArtChick. Now I know what to tell folks who have been asking me, Anne and Sheila about it. Whenever anyone has asked I give them Shelley's fullname and the name of her other business so they can hunt her down on Facebook but I still doubt she's responding to anyone. :(

Edited by creativesorbet