packaging and sizes for soap samples

soap_nut

We are going to have an open house to see what kind of feedback and interest we can get on our candles and soap before we start doing shows, etc.  I would like to give out some soap samples but don't want to give away whole bars.  Questions:

1.  What size is a good sample size for soap?

2.  What do you package the samples in?  I'm using kraft boxes for full sized bars but I'd prefer not to waste those on samples.  I thought about ziplock baggies or wrapping them in wax paper but maybe that's tacky? 

Thanks for any input!

Most of the sample that people give me are the width of the bar and about a 1/4 inch or so thick. that is enough to wash your hands a few times.

Why not just take one bar and divide it in to a bunch of sample one bar you could get 6 to 8 samples then get some thick paper print all your info on what ever would fit around the sample and tie it with a cute small ribbon. That would protect your samples, give your info and look cute at the same time.

If you are really energetic you could make cute little envelopes to slide the samples in. You then could staple that to a business card. 

• Like 1

Most of the sample that people give me are the width of the bar and about a 1/4 inch or so thick. that is enough to wash your hands a few times.

Why not just take one bar and divide it in to a bunch of sample one bar you could get 6 to 8 samples then get some thick paper print all your info on what ever would fit around the sample and tie it with a cute small ribbon. That would protect your samples, give your info and look cute at the same time.

If you are really energetic you could make cute little envelopes to slide the samples in. You then could staple that to a business card. 

Great ideas!  The paper would work and sounds pretty easy.  I don't have time for the envelope idea but I will definitely think about trying that one in the future.  I don't think I've seen that before so it's a unique touch.  Thanks!

Guest OldGlory

I used to buy soap samples of new or unusual fragrances from the people I bought huge bars from. The huge bars were 6 oz. and I would cut them in 2 at home. The samples, although I don't know the weight, were a little less wide than a business card, about that tall - so 2.5 wide x 2 tall-ish. They packaged them in 4 x 6 clear plastic treat bags (polypropylene). You don't want to use sandwich baggies for scented products - it will leech the fragrance out of the product.

A company that I used to order lye soap from (Mosoap) would include samples that were as thin as the packaged american cheese slices and about 3 x 2-ish. They didn't package them.

There is a single silverware drawer divider that you could line and pour sample soaps in. I think how thick you slice them could be determined by how many times you want the user to be able to wash their hands with the soap.

Good luck with your open house! I think it's a great idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. It went well so we are going to do a local craft show next month!  Excited and nervous thinking  about people we don't know buying our product :)  Hopefully they love it too.  I ended up going with a craft paper band this time but I also like the idea of the treat bags.  Would be less work ;) 

Thanks. It went well so we are going to do a local craft show next month!  Excited and nervous thinking  about people we don't know buying our product :)  Hopefully they love it too.  I ended up going with a craft paper band this time but I also like the idea of the treat bags.  Would be less work ;)

Glad it worked out for you, good luck with the craft show

I bought soap from someone and the soap sample was a small square of soap that was not wrapped in anything. It was placed in the bag beside a pamphlet advertising their products. Thought it was nice that way.