Panic clamshells

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

I have read back thru the postings in Wickless to see if I could find any specific commentary about the quality of the Panic clamshells. I may have a client for melts (finally, omg these people in TN are slow to jump on board) and I want to be ready to order. Has anyone tried the Panic clamshells for melts? TIA!

Guest OldGlory

Hey Chandler, sorry but I couldn't get the website to open on my laptop. I am having laptop issues, for sure. The Panic clamshells, typical size are $122.50 for 875 pieces. Way less than I can get them for locally even when you add in $42 in shipping! If my client picks them up (should know within a week) I can use the whole case but you are welcome to buy some from me. Whatever you need my friend!

Guest OldGlory

Having all sorts of computer issues today - sorry about that.

Tracey, the price for 375 clamshells is $78-82, depending on the type of plastic used at the place you gave me, and that's 20.8 cents a piece. That is without shipping.

Aztec sells them for 25 cents a piece no shipping (largest quantity).

Panic is 7.14 cents a piece without shipping. Huge difference. I was hoping to get some feedback on them, but it looks like nobody has tried them yet. When I checked shipping, it was $42. That makes them $18.8 cents a piece, saving me 6.2 cents a piece. But if they aren't good quality it saves me nothing in the long run.

I'll just buy from Aztec for now.

Guest OldGlory

I finally called Panic (since they would not respond to my email) and the 1524 is PVC. That's the smaller 2.5-3 oz size that is common. I asked about the rest of them and she said she thinks they are all PVC. That is the same material as Aztec buys and I've bought a few dozen here and there. I did not notice a smell coming from the plastic.

• 3 weeks later...

Run away from them!  I bought them because they were the least expensive option per clam, but they are not worth the product loss.  They smell just fine out of the box and for a little while.  Certain FO types will affect the plastic and turn them mushy over time.  Plus the wax will leech the plastic scent.  You won't notice it at first, but I did notice over time so I switched suppliers and better to pay more for less trouble.  I didn't notice till certain customers brought it to my attention.  It is a guessing game since some scents smell just fine and don't get the plastic all soft, but a lot of scents still get the plastic soft/ mushy and that gross plastic scent.  Not worth the guessing and hassle for saving a few pennies.  You will notice in about a month that smell and softness with certain scents.  Like birthday cakes, vanillas, and some of the fruit scents.  I have a lot of panic clamshells left since I stopped using them.

Edited by paintednightsky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did want to mention I think the issue is with the type of PVC used.  It is thicker and sturdier at first, but for PVC I've experimented with, I've had the best luck with the thinner, crisper feeling ones.  They might be a pain to take apart compared to panic PVC, but at least they last the test of time and don't get mushy and make the wax smell bad and waste product.  Best option is #5 plastic though.

• Thanks 1

I did want to mention I think the issue is with the type of PVC used.  It is thicker and sturdier at first, but for PVC I've experimented with, I've had the best luck with the thinner, crisper feeling ones.  They might be a pain to take apart compared to panic PVC, but at least they last the test of time and don't get mushy and make the wax smell bad and waste product.  Best option is #5 plastic though.

Where do you get yours now then since your trouble with panic?

We have used Panic Plastics and found them to be worth the money. A few issues with clams stuck together and leakage, but overall their clams are OK. We have since switched to Maryland Thermoform. They are a manufacturer with great products and prices and a great assortment of clams. We use them almost exclusively.

Guest OldGlory

Thanks for the feedback. How much FO per lb of wax do you use in your clamshell melts?

Sorry, kind of a late response since I haven't been on but I use 1.5 oz per lb typically depending on the scent, sometimes less and my wax is also a harder type, not mushy to start with so my FO isn't leaking at all out of the wax.  I've been using alternating clams but cs are good and the right type of plastic.  I also do pour at a lower temp to rule out user error.  I have spoken with others who have had the same issue as me too.  You may not notice till months after depending on the scent.  I also emailed the company and they admitted to their clams being affected by certain scents and that is just not ok by me to play a guessing game since if a customer has a scent sitting around, I don't want them to get the wrong idea once they eventually go to melt it.  Not worth any initial money saved.

Edited by paintednightsky

Guest OldGlory

I spoke with a sales rep at a company that manufactures clamshells, and asked if one type of plastic was better than the other. Here's what she said:

"PET is good for lower pouring temperatures. If you are pouring above 145, PVC is the better option. Cinnamon and some other scents are not good in PVC." I think she means spicy FOs, like spicy Pumpkins, Cloves, etc.

I found this information helpful. I am going to test both.

I've almost always used Impact's clamshells and they are great.  Problem is buying 2 cases at once, however they will ship to 2 sep locations.  I bought another mfg and don't remember who but the

clamshells were very hard to take apart and that drove me nuts.  I'd love to find someone who has Impact's quality with a 1 case option.