Milky Way molds for CP?

Candybee

Does anyone use the Milky Way molds for their CP? I have a bunch from my M&P days just sitting around collecting dust. I did try once and the soap stuck in the design details on the mold. If you do use them what kind of recipes work best for demolding?

Also, I have some of the heavy duty plastic molds like the cherry blossom and dragonfly molds I would love to use for my CP. Does anyone use these type of molds?

I don't use them because they are so hard to get a gel in them. Which makes the soap softer and harder to un-mold.

I would use a recipe that is high is stearic and then add some SL up to 3% to help with un-molding. Also, use a tiny bit of mineral oil on the mold to also help with un-molding but not too much or it will create pits in the design on the soap. 

HTH

• Like 1

I use the Cherry Blossom mold & love it! Very thin trace picks up the mold detail & days & days of hardening in the mold. If I had the money to buy 50 molds, I would do all of my CP in those!

I have a couple of those and a couple of the dragonfly. They are my favorite molds! Have you used the dragonfly mold? It makes the prettiest soaps.

• Like 1

I don't use them because they are so hard to get a gel in them. Which makes the soap softer and harder to un-mold.

I would use a recipe that is high is stearic and then add some SL up to 3% to help with un-molding. Also, use a tiny bit of mineral oil on the mold to also help with un-molding but not too much or it will create pits in the design on the soap. 

HTH

I make all milk soaps and never bother to force gel. If it gels or doesn't gel I just let it do its thing. The recipes I am thinking of are harder soaps using coconut milk so I don't want them to gel anyway. I like the idea of using a bit of mineral oil in the mold. Maybe I could put some on a cloth or paper towel and gently rub it on the inside of the mold and see if that works.

The tip about the stearic gives me an idea. I think I may try making my shaving soaps using my little round molds. Maybe the honeybee molds I have. Those would look so awesome! They have a lot of stearic in the recipe. Will have to try it out and see if it works. Hmmm.... I generally use a little KOH mixed in with the NaOH so the soap may not work in the molds cause its really soft for many days.