Wicking the large 20 oz tureen jar.

I was wondering if anyone has ever wicked the large 20oz tureen jar successfully?  It's such a beautiful jar and I'd really like to be able to get this wicking done.

I use 464

what I tried unsuccessfully:   3 htp 93            too deep a melt pool

3 cd6                 can't remember, it must not have worked

3 cd8                 way way too hot the jar was

2 cd8's               too much wax hang up on sides and couldn't get a melt pool across            

I'm going to try 2 cd10's.  It's probably going to be too deep a melt pool.  Gesh, wonder why they don't make a cd9.....

I ordered 2 weeks ago samples of the premier that Old Glory said she loved from Wickit.  They don't respond to my emails and I gave them the credit card which I see has not been charged.  I sure would love to get those awesome sample bags that I hear they send out and you pay just for shipping.

I SURE would appreciate any sugggestions for this jar.

Trappeur

Guest OldGlory

Trappeur, let me send you some Premiers. I have LOTS and I have access to many more every time I go to Aztec in Knoxville. Someone gave a lot of these to me, so let me send them to you.

I can't help you with this jar, I'm sorry. The widest jar I have tried to wick is about 3.5" in diameter, but I use 6006 in it.

Thankyou Tracey :) 

Trappeur

Welcome! CC doesn't  have them anymore. I'm going to hit Big Lots & the Dollar Stores to see if they have one filled with wax. I got the 8oz one like that.

Love the jars at CC with the words written on them. I wonder if I could airbrush words on jars? But the paint is waterbased, hmmmmm. Research!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ChandlerWicks

Thanks Ravens! I did find it there, but paying $18 for shipping for one jar, nope I'm gonna be smart for once. I can either order a case or one jar & the shipping is the same.

I believe I have one or two around here.  I can send you one.  Ok with you?  If interested, send me a PM with your addy, please.  It'll be a LOT cheaper than $18 shipping, guaranteed, lol

• Like 1

Isn't that a beautiful jar Tracy?  I'm going to be watching this post for sure.....I use 464 too.   Old Glory sent me a beautiful assortment of premiers to test.  I'm determined to wick this jar and yesterday I put in 2 premier 745 wicks.  I burned for 4 hours yesterday and it burned beautiful and had a slight hang (1/4") up on 2 sides but very slight.  The melt pool was maybe about 1/8 to 1/4" which was good.  The flames are very steady but I think they could have been a little more stronger.  I'm doing the 2'nd  test right now but I think this 2'nd test is going to be a struggle...we shall see. If these 2 don't work I'll try 2 #750 wicks.

So far what I have tested is:

3 htp 104:  Way too big the wicks and very deep melt pool

3 htp 83:    Wicks too big but a very strong throw

3 cd 8's:     Beautiful awesome throw but melt pool was too deep for me

oh, the joys of wicking....

Trappeur

It burned very well, these pics are after the 1st 5 hour burn, I was making soap samples & forgot it. Since it still needs to harden & cure, the 2 Eco 6s may be too big, but for now excellent. Jar did not get hot around the lip.

I need to angle one wick in the opposite direction. The sides look about perfect, if it continues to burn this way(of course it probably won't, but....) I believe the thickness of the jar will bring down the sides.

post-9009-0-89019500-1410111370_thumb.jp

post-9009-0-29891600-1410111380_thumb.jp

Edited by ChandlerWicks
  • Like 1

Isn't that a beautiful jar Tracy?  I'm going to be watching this post for sure.....I use 464 too.   Old Glory sent me a beautiful assortment of premiers to test.  I'm determined to wick this jar and yesterday I put in 2 premier 745 wicks.  I burned for 4 hours yesterday and it burned beautiful and had a slight hang (1/4") up on 2 sides but very slight.  The melt pool was maybe about 1/8 to 1/4" which was good.  The flames are very steady but I think they could have been a little more stronger.  I'm doing the 2'nd  test right now but I think this 2'nd test is going to be a struggle...we shall see. If these 2 don't work I'll try 2 #750 wicks.

So far what I have tested is:

3 htp 104:  Way too big the wicks and very deep melt pool

3 htp 83:    Wicks too big but a very strong throw

3 cd 8's:     Beautiful awesome throw but melt pool was too deep for me

oh, the joys of wicking....

Trappeur

Yep, that's the jar I've been looking for!!!!!!  Bee-U-Tee-Ful!

Here are pictures I took of the 20oz tureen.

It is on the 2'nd burn.  The 2 premier 745 I initially started with, well the 2'nd test burn it just couldn't make it in starting the burn....way too much hang up on the sides and the wicks struggled.  It just was't going anywhere yesterday.

I pulled the Premier #745 and put in 2 #750 and I think this one is going to do the job.  These pictures are on the 2'nd burn and it's 3 hours into the burn.  The scent is Caramel Latte from Indiana Candle.  The flames are a nice perfect height, not moving around but very steady.  I'm just hoping these wicks turn burn out.  I've never used the Premier b/4 but so far very very nice.  As far as throw goes, well, I only poured 3 days ago and I know it needs to cure, but I wanted to test the wicks for performance.  As far as scent goes, not much throw but I will see as i let the candle cure.  This jar the opening is 3 1/2 at the opening and the widest part is 5".

CIMG0837.jpg

CIMG0828-2.jpg

Trappeur

Well, the testing for 2 premier 750 wicks is done ......lol.  Both wicks extinquished themselves at the 4 hour mark test.   One wick put itself out and then 15 minutes later, the other one went out.  And this was my first try with the 750 after the 2 #745 didn't work.  See pictures below.  And I thought I had a winner here....So now going to try 2 premier 755 and see how they work.  But looking at my candle that sure was going to be a heck of a melt pool!  Wonder what the 750 will do.

In the pictures below, the wicks are still going even though it is hard to see.  The last picture that is a little blurry, you can see only 1 wick left burning b/4 it put itself out a few minutes later.

I'm almost tempted to try 3 wicks if I don't succeed with 2 but don't have any idea where to even start.

Trappeur

CIMG0841.jpg[/url

CIMG0839.jpg

CIMG0838.jpg

CIMG0840.jpg

CIMG0847.jpg

Hello Tracey,

No I havent.....I just replaced the 750 wicks to 2 #765 wicks.  I just wished I had more than 1 jar to test a couple at the same time.  This is taking forever! lol  Working with 1 jar.

How is your tureen coming along?  Are the 2 eco 6's doing good?

Trappeur