Wick Differences

Here's a description of the wicks from Lonestar Candle Supply:

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/candle-making/candle-wicks/

CD Series Wicks

The CD series of wicks is a favorite among many seasoned candlemakers.  These wicks are flat braided with a special paper filament woven around them.  This configuration is engineered to promote maximum and consistent burn while insuring a wick trimming flame posture.  The CD series is used in many applications and is especially compatible with the harder-to-melt viscous waxes of both paraffin and vegetable base. 

ECO Series Wicks

This series is designed specifically for natural waxes.  The ECO series is a flat, coreless cotton wick braided with thin paper filaments interwoven for burn stability.  This braiding technique also greatly improves rigidity compared to standard cotton and paper cored wicks. The specially treated paper threads provide a controlled curling of the wick making the ECO series self-trimming, which results in minimized mushrooming, soot and smoke.  They have been designed to significantly reduce the "afterglow" and smoke often seen in paper cored wicks. 

• Like 1

I've only tried the CD series. I tried them in soy, parasoy, and paraffin. I didn't care for them in soy or paraffin. They were okay in parasoy but I went with another wick, zinc. I just didn't care for the curl when it burned. That was probably because I used a jelly jar and any slightly off wick burn effected the melt pool and the jar heating up. I would suggest a larger jar for a CD. They are nice wicks in that you get great wax consumption and excellent hot throw. In the final analysis, I did not like how hot the jelly jar overheated during the burn and how the flame flickered.