New (?) wick guide on candlescience

As recently as a week or two ago, I used the interactive wick guide on candlescience with the pull-down windows for wax type and container size that spat out 3 wick suggestions ranging from "best" to "acceptable". Today I noticed that they have a new (?) wick guide in tabular form. I find this a little puzzling because the information is not consistent with the old guide. For example, previously the best wicks given for 4627 was ECO (best), HTP (2nd best) and LX (acceptable). According to this new guide, LX wicks were recommended across the board for all container sizes with 4627. I'm just wondering what prompted this change in recommendation. In fact HTP wicks are not listed for any of the waxes.

I just now tried to get on their site and its only partially running. Looks like they are revamping the entire site. So I will have to wait to try the wick guide later. Right now you can't click on anything and go to any of the pages and only part of the home page is up.

I believe they are in the middle of upgrades to their site and may be experiencing some glitches until it's complete. 

I find their new wick guide a lot more user friendly, however, that being said, I only looked at their last wick guide a couple times when searching CSN's on Candybee's suggestions. 

Went to the site last week and saw it had changed and IMO it was much easier to read and try to figure out what they were trying to tell me. LOL 

If I knew how to upload a PDF file here, I could upload the wick guide I C&P'd from their site (if you can't get to it) It just basic and the actual page goes into more specifics but this guide is a good starting reference point. 

Like anything else you find on a suppliers site, it's a good starting point and will help guide you, but will not replace proper testing - because I find I almost always have to adjust what I end up using against what a supplier suggests. That holds true for almost everything too, from wicks, to scent, to colorant, etc., 

Jcandleattic, I agree with you that most suppliers' suggestions are a good starting point but are rarely spot-on. However, last night I decided to try CandleScience's new recommendation of LX wicks for 4627 and was pleasantly surprised. For more details, see my other post 4627 - Should I wick up or down?

I called CandleScience and left a message. Will repost after I receive a call back.

• Like 1

That's right. They are only suggestions. They have no way of knowing what your candle assembly is so they offer a 'suggested' wick size for the wax and candle diameter. Its always up to you to test. I know, it can be frustrating especially when you are starting out with a new wax you haven't tried. I find it helps to buy several series of wick sampler packs. You usually have some testor wicks left over and these can be used if you change to another wax later on.

You have to keep in mind too that from one supplier to the next they may have completely different waxes and wax blends they offer so their wick suggestions can be very different from one another.

I will never forget how confusing that was when I first started out making candles. I am so glad I found this forum because its helped me to better test and perfect my candles.