Preparing for my First Show..A few questions.

Xizelle

Hello everyone!

After months and months of testing I am set to open up shop in September and got wrangled into doing a craft show at a friends church.  I already have 2 6 Foot Tables 1 4 Foot Table and a list of what else I need for my display (Tent, glass jars, scoops, etc.)  Can you think of anything else that you find crucial to your craft show display for functionality?  

Also,  a question about accepting Credit Cards.  What medium do you use?  Square?  Something else?   

And...How much cash for change to you find is crucial to have on hand?  I don't want to run out and not be prepared. 

Thank you in advance!  I am so nervous and I'm a total "planner" so I need to be as prepared as I can be.

Can you think of anything else that you find crucial to your craft show display for functionality?  Nice table clothe and some kind of risers you want things at different levels

Also,  a question about accepting Credit Cards.  What medium do you use?  Square?  Something else?   Square is good and pretty cheap for the small crafter

And...How much cash for change to you find is crucial to have on hand?  I don't want to run out and not be prepared. 

Here is my change drawer

2 rolls of quarters

1 roll dimes

2 rolls nickels

3 to 4 rolls of pennies

30 one dollar bills $30

8 five dollar bills $40

3 ten dollar bills $30

that will give you change for just about everything but some one handing you a $100 bill

If I am doing a large show I double that. I do not think that is what you are facing

Before I started using Square I lost some business due to not accepting CC's. Since I've started using it, I would say probably 75% (at least) of my business is CC based. People love that I'm able to accept CC's, and I've only had a few people question it's security - to which I answer as honestly as I can. It's as secure as the business Square is. After I swipe or punch in the card, I have NO ACCESS to the CC #'s at all (that I'm aware of) which is what I tell them. They seem satisfied with that answer.  

Thank you all so much for your answers.  I have signed up for Square and should be getting my swiper thingy in the mail any day.  I am going to buy another one to have as a backup too (just in case).   

Do any of you have a place online that you to use to order your Table Clothes for the displays? 

Is Vista Prints good for Business Cards or somewhere else you would recommend?  

Vista print does the job. It's user friendly and cheap. That's what my husband and I use.

I got my table cloths from amazon. I have floor length black ones for indoor/fancier shows and a set of tan colored flannel-backed vinyl table covers for my farmers' market and out door shows. Both sets were under $20.

Guest OldGlory

Did anyone mention bags yet? You'll need a bag to put customer's purchases in.

I always had a pad of paper and pens to make notes. Maybe an address book or the like to keep peoples names and email address.

Signs - good signs will answer a lot of questions and people will pause long enough to read them if they are visually interesting. Once they stop you can figure out what sign they are reading and engage them in conversation on that subject.

Good luck!

Yes! Bags. And tissue paper. I get paper lunch sacks from the grocery store and I bought a stamp of my logo from vista print and I stamp my logo on to all of the bags. It's a really easy way to add a nice touch to something as simple as a paper lunch bag.

I also second a note pad. I wrote down all kinds of stuff. Obviously what I sold, but also customer suggestions. For example, I saw that I kept getting requests for sandalwood. So I ordered some sandalwood and now it's one of my best sellers.

Yes Bags!!! I am so glad I asked this question.  Going to look into that stamp too, what a great idea :)

I have signs made just need to get them laminated. 

My next question being:

How many different scents do you find is a good base line for your shows?  I don't want to not have "enough" to appeal to everyone.  Right now I have a sort of "candy buffet" type thing but with smaller tarts and bakery bags, 12 different scents for that.  And then clamshells, 10 different scent blends for those.  Also doing premade up bakery bags with blends (these are just leftovers to fill up the table).  Will most likely have about 20-30 of those pre-made bags.   Do you think between 20-25 different scent/blend choices is good or should I add more? 

You all are amazing! Some of these things I would have never even thought of. 

That is a good selection for your first show doing, too many makes it hard for customer decide. No matter how many scents you carry it will not be the one that that one customer wants. Do not worry about that. Don't run home and try to find or make it. We all make that mistake. That customer will come back and not buy it. That really is code for they want to sniff but they don't want to buy but feel a little guilty about not buying.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I think we all get burned by the customer that convinces us to buy them a special fragrance, make one small candle, and then you never see them again. What a colossal waste of time and materials. When someone asks me to do that now I tell them that unless they are willing to pay for it up front, I don't do special orders.

Thanks so much for the feedback :)  The majority of my sales will for sure be online but I am very much looking forward to at least doing a few craft shows a month.  

Do you find there are certain scents your customers ask for the most at Craft Fairs?  I've noticed that online (through the communities on FB) certain scents seem to be very popular that I'm not sure would sell as well at Craft Shows..I am thinking craft shows would need to be more basic scents to appeal,  do you feel that's a fair assumption? 

Guest OldGlory

Hopefully some others will jump in here.

I think what sells at craft fairs will vary regionally. Do you have any demographics about the people attending?

I live in the rural south, actually the midatlantic region, but to most visitors it's THE SOUTH! When I visit a shop with candles I often ask what their best seller is. One clear answer is a balsam/pine tree scent. I know it is the bestseller at one company with multiple stores for whom I wholesale candles. It sells double what any other single fragrance sells. I also sell a spiced apple scent very well. This one appeals to my age/gender demographic - women over 50. Other spiced fruity scents do well at craft shows, along with bakery scents.

I would suggest going into some local shops and acting like you are there to buy candles - ask all sorts of questions. You will get a concensus.

Great idea!  I also live in the South but a more Urban area.  I have been to most of the shows I hope to set up at multiple times and it's a pretty good mixture of mostly women, I want to say late 20's-40's and younger men (20's-30's).  Very eclectic folks as well (at least at a few of the shows).  I know  I'm going to want to do a few of the "Hippie Scents" as I've noticed a lot of those at the various booths I've frequented.  I like blending my own scents so I will try to offer at least a few custom blends of earthy scents.   

How does Lavender sell?  I would think very well but I don't often hear people talking about it. 

I live in an urban area and my farmers markets and craft shows have a pretty mixed clientele of anywhere from college hipsters to stay at home moms to little old ladies. And lavender has been my best seller across the board.

Grapefruit has been huge this past summer (I use grapefruit mangosteen by CS but called it Pink Grapefruit)

I brought out my fall scents three weeks ago and, so far, blueberry cobbler has been selling like crazy.

That's my experience. HTH! :)

Well its September now and this is the time of year I switch out my scents and bring my fall and holiday scents to sell. So if you have some ready I would include those.

There are a lot of good suggestions here already. For me upgrading my display materials helped me a lot. If your table and layout looks nice and professional that will help you sell more. Also, be aware of your branding. Make sure your signs, business cards, labels, brochures, etc. all have your logo and colors. Same with your decor. If your logo is brown and green for example, use brown and green matching colors for your tablecloth and displays. If a customer walks up and sees coordinated branding they will be more inclined to stay and look and buy. Ever go to a table with an uncoordinated display? Makes you want to pass it by.

Very important, at the show, greet each customer and smile. Be approachable and look interested in them. Answers questions and even tell them about what they are looking at. This will teach you to be a super sales person and generate sales. Ever go to a booth and the vendor is looking down, doesn't acknowledge you, and doesn't say anything. Real friendly, huh?!! So look alive and smile.

Something valuable not to be overlooked or underevaluated. Bring a good lunch! Also, plenty of water and drinks. Bringing more than you think you need is better than guessing too little. Ask me how I know. You don't realise how much fluids you need during the day being exposed to the elements, weather, heat, sun, cold, wind, dryness, humidity, etc. It sucks the body fluids out of you.

Well lots of luck and let us know how it goes.

One thing not addressed is how you dress also. Personally I think dressing up just a bit works wonders, Not business formal or anything, but something nicer than faded blue jeans and a t-shirt. (Unless your t-shirt has your logo, then I think it's okay) but I always seem to do better if I'm wearing darker jeans or slacks and a nice blouse. 

And as many have mentioned. Be approachable, welcoming, greet your customers, smile and engage in conversation. Don't be pushy, but do be available. That is probably the best advice I can give... 

• Like 2

Speaking of watching what you wear. I am going to get some T-shirts made with my logo on them. Maybe even an apron. I have seen more vendors at my farmer's market doing that this year. It looks really nice and professional and also coordinates your look right in with your business.

• Like 1

A decent camera, in my opinion, is a "should have", too. Not only can you capture images of your own set-up for your personal and business usage, a camera would be useful for getting some good ideas of what others are doing. Make sure you notice which venders seem to be the most sucessful and try to determine why. Be careful, though, not to offend or give any impression that you are trying to move-in on their businesses.Crafters can be quite competative at times. We all have our own stories.

Good luck!

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles & Soaps

• Like 2

A decent camera, in my opinion, is a "should have", too. Not only can you capture images of your own set-up for your personal and business usage, a camera would be useful for getting some good ideas of what others are doing. Make sure you notice which venders seem to be the most sucessful and try to determine why. Be careful, though, not to offend or give any impression that you are trying to move-in on their businesses.Crafters can be quite competative at times. We all have our own stories.

Good luck!

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles & Soaps

YAY!!!  You're alive, Dave!

Sorry, just couldn't help myself :P

• Like 1

Great tips!! I have considered having a custom pocketed Apron made with my business name/logo.  I will for sure wear something nice though :)  

The camera, I would never have thought of that! 

Question:  What do you all use for bags that you give the customer their purchase in?  I am checking into Kraft Type bags and also Plastic Bags.  Wondering if customers/you seem to prefer one or the other.  I wanted to make sure to have something with a handle so they can carry it easy.  

All the little details lol