Handling Complaints

kfintoni

I had a question for all of you knowledgeable people. How do you handle your complaints?

Thankfully I have had very few, knocking on wood as I type this, but I received a complaint about a candle today and this is what she sent me "three times for a total of a half an hour and the wick is gone"  This is how she burned the candle. Obviously it was not burned long enough on the initial burn. I asked her to send me a picture of the top of the candle and one of the label. I said it was so I could check the size of the jar and how the wax looked, Was it wrong of me to ask for the pics? I know I could easily just send her another one but she got it as a "gift" from someone so I want to make sure she actually has one of my candles and not trying to get a free one. The scent she mentioned is a fall scent that I have not had for awhile.

How do you all handle complaints like this.

Thanks,

Karen in MA

I have seen  this scam go around a lot over the years.  You did the right thing in asking for proof a candle even exists.  I've asked to have them send me the candle back and I would reimburse shipping, or find out from the person that gave them the gift, exactly where they bought the candle.  If you get an answer like "I threw it away already", "we aren't friends anymore, so I won't ask her/him", "my camera is broke, so I can't take a picture", etc.  you can almost guarantee it's a scam.  Stick to your guns that, no proof, no replacement. 

Besides, she didn't buy it anyway, so she's out no money!!  :)

• Like 2

Thank you for the replies. I like the idea of having her send it back. Today it went from I don't own a camera , so I asked her to text me a picture. Her reply was no camera on her phone. What phone does not have a camera? Then it was I was loosing a soon to be loyal customer over a candle? I will just have to take the hit on it. I thought it was a gift. Then I asked again for what was on the label and where it was purchased and I get a generic 16 Oz reply and somewhere in MA.

Here is her last email to me "Ok so now what are we going to do? I've given you all information you
requested!!!!"

I had been sent a scam email like this before from someone stating they bought my candle in Maine. I don't sell in Maine so I did not even reply. I am going to ask for her to send it back and we will see what happens.

Karen in MA

This sounds suspicious to me too.

I would send her back the message that you will be happy to replace the candle after she sends you the one she is complaining about. Then stick to your guns on this. Its in her ballpark then and you have done the best you can to please her. If she still balks about it and makes excuses she can't send you the candle because blah, blah, blah, ignore her. By then you will know its a scam.

I did send her an email letting her know I would be happy to replace it once we receive it and then we could also refund her the cost of shipping at that time. Her reply was I have lost a loyal customer. Not so loyal if she has not purchased from me.

Karen in MA

Guest OldGlory

I've been in retail for 30+ years and this sounds like BS to me. I mean - where did the wick go? lol  People will say ANYTHING to take advantage of you. Maybe you could add (for effect) something like this: I would be happy to trace the candle back to the purchaser - just give me his/her name and address.. That way I can see what they bought.

Don't back down. Contrary to the old cliche - the customer is NOT always right.

A customer exchanges money for goods or services.

She has exchanged no money...

She has not proven she will ever exchange money for your goods or services.

She is, by all appearances, a scammer.

A wick does not disappear after three half hour burns, sorry.

I did send her an email letting her know I would be happy to replace it once we receive it and then we could also refund her the cost of shipping at that time. Her reply was I have lost a loyal customer. Not so loyal if she has not purchased from me.

Karen in MA

Ha! She really gave herself away sending you that message.

Personally, I would play a little trick on her. Tell her that since she has been a 'loyal customer' to you to give you her name and address and you will look up her past purchases and send her a gift to reflect her loyalty.

• Like 2