Few soap making questions

It's been about 4 years since I've made any soap and am looking to start again. I am trying to come up with a salt bar formulation that would help with my psoraisis.

-If I remember correctly 50% hard oils/50% soft oils? Im searching for my old recipe.

-What % salt?

-can I use GROUND pink himalayan salt? I have 55 lbs of it I use for my psoriasis.

-where is everyone getting their soaping supplies nowadays?

-any recommendations for E.O.'s or oils to help with psoriasis?

-can you add pine tar to salt bars?

Sorry for all the questions, its been so long since Ive made any soap and Im having trouble finding all my info so I'm searching this site like crazy lol  Thanks for any help.

did the salt bars help your psoraisis?

I went back to some of my old soap books..

the last salt bar i make...i used the same amount of salt, as the weight of the oils..HTH..

my recipe was 30oz of oils, i used 30 oz of salt..

​i never make salt bars with pine tar..but i don't know why you couldn't..

it is just getting the pine tar mixed in good, before adding the salt..

i still get supplies from Columbus foods...there prices are still good..

i try to get in on co-ops  when i can..but sometimes that is still not as cheap as buying yourself, by the 

time shipping is added both ways, and co-op fees..

good luck..let us know how they turn out

I think I need to make some..i remember how much i loved them..

Edited by 8-GRAN-ONES

Thank you,  I stopped making soap when I moved into my new house about 4 years ago, and can't find all my notes. I have papers everywhere lol. Yup, the salt bars always did wonders for my psoriasis. Thats been my go to to fight my psoriasis: sea salt and sun or tanning. My drs give my topicals but they're all steroids and I avoid them if possible. Luckily I live in FL and near the beach so that helps as well, but right now its getting pretty bad so I have to step up my game lol.

I make a Saltbar with Dead Sea Mud and Charcoal for psorarisis I add Lavender and Tea Tree oil to it and a little Sea Kelp to it I use 80% sea salt.

Interesting, would you mind sharing your recipe? Also, does Charcoal powder go bad? I think I might still have some lol

The first salt bars I made with 60% CO so I know that will work. But I tend to use 75-80% CO and whatever other oils I like to add. Why don't you use aloe vera juice for your liquid?

You can use Himaylayan pink salt but I would stick with the fine ground salt. Thats the same grind as regular table salt. Medium and large grinds can make your salt bars scratchy.

I use the same amount of salt per oils. 32oz oils = 32oz salt

The first salt bars I made with 60% CO so I know that will work. But I tend to use 75-80% CO and whatever other oils I like to add. Why don't you use aloe vera juice for your liquid?

You can use Himaylayan pink salt but I would stick with the fine ground salt. Thats the same grind as regular table salt. Medium and large grinds can make your salt bars scratchy.

I use the same amount of salt per oils. 32oz oils = 32oz salt

Thank you :)  I'll up the CO, Ive never thought of Aloe Vera juice thats very interesting. Can I use the kind you'd find in the health food store?  Also the Himalayan is fine ground....like powder.

This is what I have http://www.saltworks.us/shop/product.asp?idProduct=1006#.U865C7HzOjI

Would you recommend any special eo's or carrier oils? Im trying to put together a shopping list lol

Yes. I use the same aloe vera juice you find at the store. I get it in the gallon jug cause I soap with it a lot.

I'm not good with what works for psoriasis and from what I understand some with it are more skin sensitive than others with it. I have heard that activated charcoal helps. Not sure about EOs but either the tea tree or pine tar sounds like it may help.

I like the avocado oil in your recipe. I love using it for sensitive skin types. I also like using sweet almond oil but only at 5%. It just feels good on my skin.

Lately I have been loving sunflower oil in my soaps. It has an extra skin softening ingredient. Don't know if it helps psoriasis but I sure love washing with a sunflower oil soap. I love it so much I redeveloped my basic bath bar to include it.

Yes. I use the same aloe vera juice you find at the store. I get it in the gallon jug cause I soap with it a lot.

I'm not good with what works for psoriasis and from what I understand some with it are more skin sensitive than others with it. I have heard that activated charcoal helps. Not sure about EOs but either the tea tree or pine tar sounds like it may help.

I like the avocado oil in your recipe. I love using it for sensitive skin types. I also like using sweet almond oil but only at 5%. It just feels good on my skin.

Lately I have been loving sunflower oil in my soaps. It has an extra skin softening ingredient. Don't know if it helps psoriasis but I sure love washing with a sunflower oil soap. I love it so much I redeveloped my basic bath bar to include it.

Thank you, I really appreciate your feedback. Its so exciting to start looking into all this again. Life just happened and I just haven't had the time. Now I'm determined to start again although it seems the board has slowed down from a few years ago :( I will definitely be adding SAO and Sunflower oil to my shopping list lol any good places to buy supplies in small quantities, not bulk? Is New Directions or camden grey still ok?

I use Columbus Foods/Soapers Choice, Essential Depot, and Soapmakingresource for the bulk of my oils. The first for bulk oils, and the other 2 for bulk and smaller bottles and EOs. I also source my local stores for oils like olive, sunflower, SAO, safflower, grapeseed, lard, etc. Wally's has a great shortening made with soybean oil and tallow and bulk lard and Louann's coconut oil. They also carry the sunflower, grapeseed, canola, and olive oils.

I use ED almost exclusively for my lye. Good prices and love the packaging and fast shipping. Got one of their silicone molds too and liking it very much. Soap pops right out and the mold cleans easy with warm water. If I run out of lye I source it locally from my town's hardware store but ED has the best price for bulk lye.

Sorry don't use Camden Grey or New Directions.

Personally, I like sea salt but what you have on hand (55 lbs ?) is what you need to use up. Remember to add your salt at the right time, so that its suspended in your emulsion and not sinking to the bottom. You can take whatever Babs says to the bank if she says that works. Pine tar is a whole nother ball game and you better be ready to slap that in the mold fast and you need to be sure about using the correct percentages and the best (expensive) pine tar. I wouldn't use it in a salt bar formulation. I use the oil-salt ratio but that's just me. I use a slab with dividers and put it in the oven for a complete gel. HTH

Steve

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies, I bought a few soaping oils and E.O.'s from Soapmakingresource.  So at least thats a start and I can get some basic oils from Walmart. I think I will make a salt bar first and then maybe next batch pine tar.

As to the 55 lbs of Himalayan salt lol, I have really bad psoriasis and I have to soak in it at least 3 times a week in the tub each time using about 2 cups so it adds up pretty fast. Sadly, my psoriasis is a pain and topicals don't really help not to mention I dont care to use all those steroids all the time so luckily natural things like the salt and sun help.