What to do with old lye?

I tried doing a search but for some reason it kept telling me "old lye" & "lye" were not allowed, Anyways, I remember everyone saying to use it as a drain cleaner/ unclogger but is it safe for pvc pipes? I know you can use PVC as a mold, but didnt know if a lye solution would be safe?

Its been in a dark cool closet. As to free flowing, do you mean not a chunk of lye lol? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question, never had lye this long before. If your referring to chunk free it sorta is, there is a few chunks but small but it was like that when I bought it. The lye was purchased at AAA chemicals. Would save me the hassle of having to buy more since I'm trying to get back into soap making.

I agree. It should still be good to use for soaping. As long as its been kept in a moisture proof container it can keep for years.

Re PVC pipes. I have PVC plumbing. I wondered about that myself but have used my lye a couple times in my sink and tub with no problems so far. I use 1 tbs to 1 oz of lye crystals. Just pour them down your drain where the clog is. Let it sit for 5 minutes or 1/2 hour for stubborn clog. Run hot water for a few minutes afterward to flush out the drain and the pipes.