C3

Hi,

Ive just ordered a sample bag of C3. To all of you who use it, can you give your opinions.

Thanks

While you are waiting for responses, check out the search feature over on the top right of the page. There is so much info on C-3, especially from Stella1952 & IMC. Keep trying different combinations of words for the search field, sometimes it's difficult. I don't use C-3, so I can't offer any help. Good Luck! :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Why don't you? You won't regret it. My customers complained at first when I switched from soy to palm. But the sales person in me touted the pros of palm and once my customers started using them they loved them. Also, most candles at craft venues are soy so palm is pretty new to many and that makes them unique.

I tested palm out for a couple years before I switched. I knew my customers would complain at first but by then I knew the wax inside and out so felt comfortable talking about it.

Sorry about the threadjack. My apologies to the OP.

• Like 1

continuing hijack for a bit - sowwy.

Palm burns so different from what people are used to... I personally prefer it. No matter what scent I throw at it Palm wax buns and smells perfect. Made a nice set of wedding candles for a local customer who was thrilled with them. I called them "Frost Candles" :)

Glass is my first hesitation. Heavy to haul around and ship.

anti-Palm freaks is a big other. I use certified  sustainable and organic Palm in my B&B products, but can't easily find that same sustainable cert for wax to allay their fears and pull the plug on their loud, vocal protests.

Obtaining my favorite wicks is the third :( Nobody makes it easy, do they?

• Like 4

I have not had one customer complain or even question my palm wax candles. You can find pros and cons with just about every manufactured wax and oil on the market, eg; palm, soy, olive oil, coconut oil, and paraffin if you look into it. Just depends on which one is the 'hot' topic for that year. There is an enormous amount of marketing hype aimed to undermine sales of competing products by unscrupulous manufacturers.

I love making soap and candles and don't let all the hype stop me from doing what I love. Okay, off my soapbox now.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

I love making palm wax candles. I use the glass glow for my glass candles, and the feather for my pillars. I am thinking of switching my tins from soy to palm, as I really like the smell and burn of the palm wax. The only reason I make soy is because my customers ask for them. They come up to me and are very excited that I carry soy...I try to educated them on the differences of the waxes, but they are all sold by the marketing of soy... oh well, think I will give it a try and see how it goes.

Cindy

It's good to hear you don't get many protests about palm- I have never tried it afraid of the questioning and the fact that some suppliers will not carry it because of that

Facebook has had an awful picture circulating about the "stop using palm" with a bunch of orangutanes or gorillas lying dead all over a rain forest - I didn't read much on it so I do not know the facts and I also know activists blow things way out of proportion and it may not have even been related to palm but I am not educated on any of the palm debate to speak of it

Did they all throw the same? I love the look of the glass glow and I tried someone's palm melts and they were very nice and lasted a long time

What suppliers are carrying it?

Personally I would not put palm in tins. The beauty of palm and its gorgeous crystalline structure is seen in glass containers. Also, the wax glows when burning and you also can't see that in a tin. The glow and crystal structure are two of its top selling points aside from its great throw.

There is new candlemaker at the Farmers Market I go to, and she is selling in jelly jars, her prices beat mine, now I know why my sales have been down in the tins. I will say I sold more of my pretty candles (pillars) and glass glow jars. I am going to order some 8 ounce tins and try them with the plam wax to see how they go. What I usually do is have palm wax candles burning on my tables so people can see how nice it burns and smells.

I fought against selling in jars for many reasons, some of they are too darn heavy and I usually set up by myself, if you are on pavement and you drop one you lose product right away... plus is seems as if everyone is selling in jars especiallly jelly jars.. So I am trying to be different.

Hi MrsM, I'm sorry you had to scrap your palm candles. Did you like using/testing C-3? I started out with C-3 about two years ago and I must admit it's a finicky wax in my experience lol but it has great cold and hot throw. 

• Like 1

continuing hijack for a bit - sowwy.

Palm burns so different from what people are used to... I personally prefer it. No matter what scent I throw at it Palm wax buns and smells perfect. Made a nice set of wedding candles for a local customer who was thrilled with them. I called them "Frost Candles" :)

Glass is my first hesitation. Heavy to haul around and ship.

anti-Palm freaks is a big other. I use certified  sustainable and organic Palm in my B&B products, but can't easily find that same sustainable cert for wax to allay their fears and pull the plug on their loud, vocal protests.

Obtaining my favorite wicks is the third :( Nobody makes it easy, do they?

Ok- not a palm freak but a soap maker who won't use it. I stay away from Palm in all areas including food. Sustainable palm isn't really all that sustainable. It isn't really regulated, so you are probably paying more for palm that really isn't sustainable. Nobody is policing it so they can say what they want. Deforestation is very real concerning Palm though. 

I believe in the work the Round Table is doing, along with the corporations supporting it. Not everything is a conspiracy theory.

Likewise no ingredient is without a cost or risk. We choose what is best for us and respect other people's choices....

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

MrsM...CS carries CSN wicks (not the same as cdn) and those are made especially for palm wax, also RRDs should work well with it too.

I've used C3 for years and it does need to be babied a bit but the ct/ht makes it worthwhile. If you temper the wax, you will have a better looking candle that burns nicely. Curious to hear how your testing is going :)

@vernie1 Ive just starting test burning them and I have to say Im not liking it. There is huge wet spots and the flame is really high, it reminds me of paraffin, the tops are really smooth n glossy, which is really making me think there is paraffin in there? Comparing the 2 soys I much prefer 464

@Imc....thank u, im in australia and most USA companies wong ship here. Sadly the 2 main wicks here are htp n cdn, I did order some ecos from Flaming Candles in USA and I really love how its working in 464....so I think Im sticking to 464 8% fo with eco's

I'm sorry you're not liking C-3. From my knowledge it's a 100% soy wax and doesn't contain paraffin at all. If your flame is too high, it may mean your wick is too big or it's too much fragrance. It's nice to hear you have smooth tops which is a good thing. What size containers are you using and what type of wicks. Htp works well with C-3. With the wet spot, do you warm your containers and at what temp are you pouring your wax. You may try slowing the cooling process of your candles to avoid the wet spots. The room temperature also has a lot to do with how C-3 sets up as well, I told you it's a finicky wax lol.

Like a previous poster said, you can try tempering your C-3 it does make a difference.