4625 & 4630

kimmeroo

I have just blended these 2 but not quite 50/50..is there any cure time..I know it is paraffin, just curious if the scent throw stay's the same fresh as it does there after?

I used a light scent (at least I think it is light) just to see what to expect. JS Glazed Jelly Donut @ 1.5oz pp, and I made 2.5lbs. no dye.

any suggestion's..tips..these will be melt's. 

TIA! :)  Kim

• 2 months later...

I also just started testing this combo. Do most people stick to the 50/50 4630/4625 or do you find that bumping up the paraffin will give you a better HT?  Also, do you find that 1 oz. FO is enough or do you you more?

Thank you for any suggestions  :)

The 4625 & 4630 are both paraffin. The 4625 is a pillar wax whereas the 4630 is a container wax and therefore much softer. As far as the percentage, that is all personal preference. I have seen anywhere from an 80/20 to a 50/50 split, some prefer more pillar whereas others prefer more container. It all depends on what works best for you. Increasing the percentage of the pillar wax will help the wax to pop out of the mold/clam easier while Increasing the container wax will allow for a higher percentage of FO because the 4630 will hold more before seepage occurs. 

As far as the percentage of FO, in my opinion that depends on preference, how strong you like your tarts and how strong the FO itself is. Some believe that using anymore than 6% is a waste, while others (me included) will use more. I have used anywhere from 6-10% and other than a few FO's, have not had seepage. I like my tarts strong!

• Like 1

My first test results:

50/50

4630/4625

6% Peaks Sweet Pumpkin Spice

5 day cure

CT--not impressed

HT--NOT my favorite pumpkin, by any means, I am smelling too much vanilla for my taste....I would sooner call it Vanilla Pumpkin....BUT--the throw is very good.  I was pleasantly surprised because I usually use more than 6% in tarts & this was a test. I can't speak much for longevity yet. I have had 2 cubes going strong for 3 hours so far....

I have more curing at 8% & will post results.

(Some of my favorites)

Perfect Pumpkin (WSP)

Grandma's Cupboard (AH)

Market Peaches (WSP)

Apples & Acorns (WSP)

CT--Excellent in all of them with 1 day cure

Anyone else care to share your testing results? Should I bump up the 4625? Switch to 70/30 blend, maybe? Has anyone had better luck with this?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK--I need help...I am REALLY frustrated  *shudder*

I THOUGHT I was on Cloud 9 with this blend, but I am not--PLEASE HELP!!

I used 4625/4630 50/50.  No color. I put it in my presto pot & heated to 175-180, added 8% FO, stirred for 2 min. and poured.  Cured for 7-10 days.

CT & HT was the best I have ever smelled--BUT it only lasted 3-4 hours MAX. No fans, no AC.

I am using a Colonial Tin Works melter with a 30 watt bulb, which is what I sell to my customers.

The FO's I tested so far are FO's that I know are strong throwers in other applications:

Peaks Red Clove

AH Gramma's Cupboard

WSP Perfect Pumpkin

Peaks Amish Harvest

Any suggestions....PLEASE???

No helpers....Boo hoo...whine...sniff....LOL

I'm pretty sure several people are satisfied with the 4625/4630 combo, SO after mulling it over some more, I have come up with some things it could be....hoping for input:

1--Is my bulb too hot? 30 watts. Is it just burning the FO fast & furious & that is why I get AWESOME HT for the first 3-4 hours then nothing? If that is the case, I am going to be really bummed! I LOVE the tart warmers they sell at Colonial Tin Works & so do my customers. Does anyone else sell anything similar with that sort of look with a lower wattage bulb? What wattage bulbs does everyone else burn? I didn't realize how clueless I was & must sound right now!!  Oh my goodness....I'm losing it.......LOL

2--4630 has a melt point of 119 degrees and 4625 has a melt point of 142 degrees SO--should I increase the 4625 and make it a 70/30 4625/4630 and try that combo?? Would that help the longevity, possibly? 

Thank you.

Hi Sandy..I haven't been on here since I posted this..anyways..I made a few tester's and found (in my case) that the longevity depended on the fo as well as the warmer..and IMO yes..I think your warmer is too hot. I also have a 30watt which I love and really don't care about longevity..I change out my melter's 2-3 time's a day but I know if we sell, our customer's are looking for longevity and strong throw.

I am still testing this blend.

I use a Glade 20watt for most of the vendor wax..I use 24watt for BHG or Scentsational's wax.

Good luck! 

Thank you, for sharing kimmeroo. Great info.

I have been burning 2 squares of KY Toasted Marshmallow in my warmer for over 11 hours now & they are still going strong. This gives me hope :)  I am with you--I like switching things up throughout the day.  Maybe some Pumpkin in the morning, Fall Festival in the afternoon, & Mulled Cider at night. BUT....yes, some of our customers expect one little cube to burn for days on end....lol...or maybe I THINK they do.....sometimes I think I am my worst critic!

I guess I will continue to test more percentages of these 2 waxes because I do think they are the magic combo for me.

I will also continue to shop for different warmers with lower wattage bulbs.

• Like 1

I love colonial tin works warmers but I always have to replace the bulbs they send with lower wattage bulbs. I go down to a 25 watt. When I use the 30w bulbs, it sometimes gets to hot up against the metal dish and the paint will bubble up. They've even sent 40w bulbs with some of their warmers before.

You might check out candle warmers.com. I like their warmers too and they use the halogen 25w bulbs, plus they have plate warmers.

hth

I love colonial tin works warmers but I always have to replace the bulbs they send with lower wattage bulbs. I go down to a 25 watt. When I use the 30w bulbs, it sometimes gets to hot up against the metal dish and the paint will bubble up. They've even sent 40w bulbs with some of their warmers before.

You might check out candle warmers.com. I like their warmers too and they use the halogen 25w bulbs, plus they have plate warmers.

hth

Thank you Belinda  :)