Tarts not lasting long

Atticmonkey

Hi everyone,

I've been reading old posts trying to solve my issue but haven't had any luck finding the magic fix. My issue is my tarts smell great but only last a couple hours at most. I've been using mostly ng scents but have also tried bcn and Aztec. I've tried several different waxes and blends. Some of which have included 464, 416, eco pillar blend, and eco advanced. I'm using 1oz of fo per pound of wax. Heating wax to 185, adding oil at 180, and pouring at 140. I am heating wax in a pouring pot on a hot plate. Are there any things that are absolute red flags that could be causing the short scent throw? Thanks for any help, I sure need it.

Jason

I've been trying to wait a week before really judging them. Sometimes I will melt one within a couple days but I won't really worry about a true test until a week or more. I've been using clamshells as my containers so I assume they are sealed fairly well.

What scents are you using?  I find some floral scents are very light so I use 1.5 oz per lb.  I live in AZ and have the air on most of the time and still get really great scents from my warms both large and small.

Edited by karinz40

Most of the fragrance oils have been from nature's garden including monkey farts, lilac, sweet orange/chili pepper, hyacinth. Bcn I've just done cucumber/melon. And from Aztec I tried their monkey farts. Will increasing the fo to 1.5oz pp increase the scent life or will it just make the scent throw stronger for the same amount of time?

It should do both.  I made tarts using Peak Black Canyon which is pretty strong anyway using 1 oz Pp and the tarts lasted 6 days.  REALLLY!!!!!  I burned it 8 hours per day just to see and thats how ling it lasted.  The last day was getting a little weaker. I rteally depends on the scent. 

Has anybody ever used any of the scents I listed with success in tarts? I really like ng scents and the price seems fair but I guess if they aren't going to last then maybe they are not such a good deal afterall.

It is this one I bought from Amazon. It says it's a tart and candle warmer which I worried was burning off scent too quickly but it only uses 20 Watts like most warmers I've seen.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002T6X2HG?cache=a47a64cbdf298bf05a405cd1874ec9b2π=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1401482566&sr=8-4#ref=mp_s_a_1_4

Lately I've been using a blend of 70% 464 and 30% eco pillar blend. I like the look of the wax and the hardness but I can't say it's done much for the longevity. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could make a better blend?

Well...to be honest I haven't calibrated my thermometer to boiling water or anything. So I suppose it could be off. I'm using a digital candy thermometer so that should be easy enough to check.

What about the way I heat my wax, is direct heat from a hotplate ok?

I made my melts initially in a double boiler but I have no experience with a hot plate. Sounds to me as if you have all of the elements covered. You may need to play with percentages of your waxes or different combnations until you get better longevity.

I have success with most of the scents I use from NG. I use all the ones you mention except the hyacinth.   I test them to last at least 14 hours.  I use different waxes though.    Definitely play with the percentages.

Thanks everyone for the help, I'm going to go back to trying different wax blends. This time going with pillar as my higher percentage. I will give you all an update on my results. With luck I can get this figured out and stop making my famous two hour tarts!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In my experience 464 blended with PB did make a great melt..... I use more container than PB and also use 10% FO- with soy I find you have to to get a strong scent and I like strong, everyone's sniffer is different though and 10% can be too much for some people

As far as your temps they sound good so maybe try blended different waxes- I use 415 and PB and I also liked 135 with PB and excel with PB

Instead of mixing them why not try the same scent in both waxes and see which one produces the better scent and just stick with one wax. I'm sure you will get better results with a pb you shouldn't have to wait a week to test them, unlike you might have to with the regular candle wax.

Edited by mindy5140