Phthalate Free - How Important Is It

dibays

I have been trying to test only phthalate free Fo's but how important is that as a seller?  There are so many FO's I am avoiding because of not being phthalate free, I am rethinking that decision. 

• 1 month later...

You have to decide if it is important to yourself. For me it is. Fragrance oils are chemicals anyway but at least I want to make sure that they are as safe as possible (if that can be the case at all). There is clear evidence that those phtalates and nitro-musks are harming not only us but wildlife as well (like those fishes who cannot reproduce anymore due to all the nice things we flush down the drain with our excretions. It is like with everything else: do I care if I add to the problem or don't I care because everybody else is doing it and because I cannot change it anyway or because my little bit won't hurt.....

I think the chemicals we are using are bad enough. I'm struggling myself with it all and still don't know if I should quit or not but until I have made a decision I want to make the least damage.

• Like 1

I had originally marketed my line as dye and phthalate-free until I learned that Candlewic's oils were not phthalate-free. Since I use just one oil from them, I had to change my etsy shop and Facebook group and page. I will buy no other oils from them. If I could replace the one I do use I would.

Guest OldGlory

For what it's worth...

In the last 13 years, I have had one customer who wanted fragrance free, and maybe 2 who asked about phthalates. WAY less than 1 %. I have never been asked about them when selling Thymes candles. I have never been asked about them when selling Yankee candles.

For what it's worth...

In the last 13 years, I have had one customer who wanted fragrance free, and maybe 2 who asked about phthalates. WAY less than 1 %. I have never been asked about them when selling Thymes candles. I have never been asked about them when selling Yankee candles.          

I have had numerous people ask about phthalates in soap and body products.

OldGlory, don't want to critizise in any way (I appreciate you a lot!), but just because nobody is asking doesn't make the problem disappear. For example, I know a lot of people who have young children or babies and who just don't care about all the pesticides and herbicides they are using generously in their gardens (not only this: tons of harsh household cleaners, disinfectants, mainly processed and convenient food etc. etc. etc.). Many of those children have allergies and other health issues. The parents don't even consider this toxic stuff could be bad for their kids or even be the cause of their kids' health problems (not that it is their fault alone, we are exposed to so many toxines every day it is no wonder so many of us are ill. It all adds up, literally). As long as there are no weeds in their gardens and as they don't have to think too much or even question anything their world is perfect. What I want to say: the majority just doesn't care.

I have decided I don't want that stuff, why take a risk ? I guess there are still enough other components in our fos that they will find out to be harmful so if I can do something in order to reduce the risk I will at least buy the least harmful oils. And try living a life with my family that is as responsible, healthy, sustainable and happy as possible (which is difficult enough, right ;) ).

Edited by ubure

I personally don't worry about them- I list on my website if it's phthalate free for those that do worry

Everyday there is something new out there that is claimed to be cancer causing - everyday people that live as natural and organic and chemical free as possible die of horrible cancers regardless

I am not criticizing by any means those who chose to not use them, it's a personal choice and that's why I list the fragrances I have that are free of phthalates

FDA.gov has interesting reads on studies that do not link them as being a hazard in cosmetics or fragrances but that doesn't mean they are not...like I said tomorrow we may hear that pet dander causes a certain cancer....I completely agree that using chemicals labeled as hazardous to a minimum is always a good idea but it's not a guarantee

I do try and stay away from FO with them myself now going forward but I have many that do contain them from starting out years ago and I continue to make them but let my customers know they are there so they can decide

Guest OldGlory

Ubure, the question was "how important is it as a seller to use fragrances which are phthalate free". I simply responded as a seller based on my experience selling fragranced candles. Right, wrong, whatever, my customers don't care. I chose not to argue the ethics of the product, but rather the results.

Ubure, the question was "how important is it as a seller to use fragrances which are phthalate free".

You are right.

I chose not to argue the ethics of the product, but rather the results.

For me both is important.

In my opinion, phthalates will be an issue in future years. We saw it happen with lots of things in this industry.  I recently converted all of my new oil purchases over to phthalate-free. I am not selling anything as phthalate-free yet and do not anticipate doing so for a couple of years.  I have too much of an FO inventory to get through. However, all of my new oils are phthalate-free.

Personal story for me, my child was born with non-descent testicles.  He had to go through surgery a few months after he was born.  My doctor couldn't tell me 100% that phthalate was the reason for this but as I mother I couldn't take the reason...it just happens.  I investigated and I was going to school to become an esthetician while I was pregnant and 90% of cosmetics, masks, creams and cleansers contained phthalate.  I did research and phtalate is known to cause under developed reproductive systems. As a mother who has personally gone through this I will be using phtalate free FO.   

• 1 month later...

Thank you to everyone that took the time to answer my question.  Due to being the caregiver to my mother I haven't been able to be on here for the last couple of months.  I keep going back and forth about this, I know if I were doing bath & body products I would be sure to use phthalate free fragrances.  For now I think I will not advertise as being phthalate free but will try to mainly stick with FO's that are and just state in the listings if they are or not.

• 2 weeks later...