Wooden wicks

I bought some a few months ago, but was scared to put them in wax because I wasn't sure which to use. Well yesterday my hubby bought me 4 of the Woodwicks candles for mothers day! I was surprised at the wax, I expected soy, but apparently it is something like 4627. It doesn't say on the label if it is a parasoy, so I'm guessing it's straight paraffin. Great scent throw though. I'm going to go ahead and pour a couple using the 4633 that I have while I wait for payday to get some new wax. Anything I should look out for using these wicks?

Guest OldGlory

Yes!!

1. You'll want to keep your wick(s) within about 1/8" from the wax surface. Too much wick creates too much flame. And they are hard to trim once in the jar. So plan ahead for how full you'll fill your containers and cut your wick 1/8" past that.

2. Because they are wide, your melt pool will be oval, and the wide part gets hot. Your testers will have a little extra hang up on the flat side (not wide side) of the wick, but it will catch up.

3. Sometimes the wick won't stand up just perfectly. Have something like a wooden skewer on hand that you can cut up and prop/push it against the wick from the side of the jar to keep the wick in place.

4. I would definitely consider using 2 wicks together in an X shape. This will give a more even burn. If you try it, remember that the piece that goes into the wickholder will have to be 1/4" longer.

5. Keep your FO load around 6% - it helps the 'crackle' sound.

Have fun :)

Thank you OG! I will be testing these candles myself. I was wondering about how to use 2 wicks. Do you split one and put the other in between the 2 pieces? Can you secure it with some sort of glue, or just stick it together with wax? I poured a couple in 4633, but I can't wait to get some 4627 and try it. I hope they throw as well as the brand candles do!

Faithfulscenter - I know nothing about wooden wicks, but I wanted to say hi. So good to hear from you. I know your life has gotten crazy busy, but I love when you drop in. Good luck on your wooden wick venture!!! Keep us posted - in all your free time. (Hee-hee)

Guest OldGlory

I haven't tried the X wicks yet, but I have analyzed it to death. It's my next project. I anticipate having to cut out a very slim groove on each wick (where they will fit together). The groove should be the same width of the wick, to allow them to fit together without creating pressure. Once you pour wax into the container it should be fine.

I think if you do just one cut in each, it will torque the wood. Don't know for sure.

I have used 2 wicks back to back for extra power in a wide container.

Guest OldGlory

Here's a simple drawing for instruction and a photo of 2 wood wicks in an X formation. I finally figured it out.post-9734-0-93914700-1399767188_thumb.jp

Guest OldGlory

I did have to cut out the skinniest sliver of wood where the cut is to allow for the width of each piece. I used an exacto knife and a cutting board - was pretty easy. I am going to pour one today so I can test it this week.

Do you know which company uses wicks in this formation? Can't remember where I saw it.

• 4 weeks later...

They are as safe as a standard wick....as long as they are sized correctly. The company I work for sells them and we sell a good amount of them (the wicks, not the finished candles) but we did extensive testing before deciding which ones to carry and finally carrying them. The ones we sell which look like the ones Old Glory is using are perfectly safed as long as the candle is made AND burned properly. Let's face it, all candles are fire and well fire is..... :)

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

The wick and wick holder I used in the photo are from Bittercreek. I haven't had the first hint of a problem burning them but they did warp a little. That could be my fault because I didn't lay them out flat and keep something heavy on top of them. Wood can warp. That is why I needed to use a small prop to keep them perfectly vertical while the wax firmed up.

Well then since you are getting them from my employer, I KNOW how safe they are. ;) What wick size and what jar diameter and wax are you testing? I'm interested in testing this out for myself! :) You can PM or or email me at techsupport@candlesupply.com! Thanks! LOVE the way they look done that way!

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I am using 2 #4's in a 3.25" diameter jar with a 50/50 blend of soy and paraffin. Thought I would answer you here because someone else might want an idea of where to start. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I put a med size wick in a pint jar, not sure exact diameter, and used a 60/40 paraffin/soy blend, and also tried it straight paraffin. I definitely like the blend better. I hope I get some time to pour again soon. I really work too much at my other job. I will say I think I will be playing with these wicks for a while. And my husband loves them, he comes in every evening and lights a candle :)

And I am going to have to place an order with Bittercreek soon. They are a supplier I have not tried yet, but have heard some wonderful things ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was just about to order from BC and read the wood wicks there are not treated. From what I have read if they are not treated it causes them not to lite easily and that they will keep going out... Has anyone experienced any problems with them lighting or continuing to burn(going out)??

I've been using wicks from woodcandlewick and have had good luck with them so far! They also seem to have to largest number of sizes available, which is nice but of course, takes more work in testing!  So far wooden wick have done better for me than CDs as far as throw is concerned.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest OldGlory

I wanted to revisit this thread with updated information.

For those wanting to use a wood wick in a fairly tall container (let's say over 4" tall), and you are looking for a way to wick for the top but also wick for the bottom...

Let me tell you what a pain in the patootie it has been to properly wick a 6" tall glass container!!

Start trimming the wick in a graduated manner on the sides to the bottom. You don't have to take off much to reduce the heat of the wick as it nears the bottom of the jar. And you don't have to take it off both sides.