Help needed making tart melts

LadyBookLover

I have just started making candles this year and was very frustrated so I put that aside to make tarts, thinking they would be easier. However, I am not getting a good scent throw. I use Ecosoya PB Pillar Soy Wax. I used .25 oz scent to 4 oz wax. I added the dye and scent at about 180-185 degrees. Can anyone give me any suggestions on making these scents stronger? I've been using Nature's Garden scents such as "Twilight in the Woods," "Bedtime Bath," "Rosemary Mint." and "Spring Rain."

I have just started making candles this year and was very frustrated so I put that aside to make tarts, thinking they would be easier. However, I am not getting a good scent throw. I use Ecosoya PB Pillar Soy Wax. I used .25 oz scent to 4 oz wax. I added the dye and scent at about 180-185 degrees. Can anyone give me any suggestions on making these scents stronger? I've been using Nature's Garden scents such as "Twilight in the Woods," "Bedtime Bath," "Rosemary Mint." and "Spring Rain."

Try bumping it up to 9-10% instead of the 6% you're using.    

Edited by marcuset
  • Like 1

What is the melt point of your pillar wax? The wax may be too hard may I suggest adding about 30-40 of some kind of container wax to lower the melt point the amount of fragrance you are adding is fine.

Melt point is 128 degrees and it says that the max fragrance load is 6% or 1 oz/lb. I was thinking about using some container wax. I have GB 464 (max fragrance load is 12% or 2 oz/lb with melt point 115-119) and Ecosoya CB Advance (max fragrance load is 9% or 1.5 oz/lb. with melt point 111.). 

So if I mix one of those container waxes with the pillar wax, how do I figure the fragrance load? Thank you for responding. 

This is just my opinion but for starters I would add 40% Ecosoya CB advanced to your pillar wax and just up the FO to 7% or 7.5% which is 1.2 ounce per lb of oils and test again.

Fragrance oils are expensive makes no sense to keep adding more fragrance if you have a good quality fragrance costs too much.

Edited by Barbara AL

Many soy container waxes work with PB

Try ratios of 50/50, 60/40 and 70/30 with PB being the lesser one

I always use 10% FO for melts- I find less for me is not where I want my melts to be strength wise, more expensive yes but worth it to me - but everyone's nose is different - 6% in soy is not enough IMO and I personally never had seepage issues using more fragrance

Just play with ratios using the waxes you have and different percentages until you find what you like

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

Many soy container waxes work with PB

Try ratios of 50/50, 60/40 and 70/30 with PB being the lesser one

I always use 10% FO for melts- I find less for me is not where I want my melts to be strength wise, more expensive yes but worth it to me - but everyone's nose is different - 6% in soy is not enough IMO and I personally never had seepage issues using more fragrance

Just play with ratios using the waxes you have and different percentages until you find what you like

thank you so much. I am going to try this tonight.  I'll start with 50/50. 

thank you. I was thinking I was going to have to find this. You've saved me a lot of frustration. :)

the scent load is a lot higher than what was on candlescience.com site. wow! So I got some testing to do. First, I'll try to increase the scent at a lower temperature. 

Edited by LadyBookLover
  • Like 1

This is just my opinion but for starters I would add 40% Ecosoya CB advanced to your pillar wax and just up the FO to 7% or 7.5% which is 1.2 ounce per lb of oils and test again.

Fragrance oils are expensive makes no sense to keep adding more fragrance if you have a good quality fragrance costs too much.

I will try this also. thanks for telling me how many ounces to use. 

I use ecoysoya PB mixed with ecosoya xcel and have wonderful results. I hadn't heard many good things about their CBdd I tried many different ratios to come up with one that worked for me.  I use more PB than Xcel in my mix.

I use about 1.2 oz per pound for fragrance oil.

Edited by SuzyK

I would try lots of different ratios.  The reason I use what I use is just a frosting issue and has nothing to do with my scent throw.   What worked for me was 25/75 50/50 and 60/40.  The 60/40 is the one I stuck with because it takes longer to start frosting.  I use a higher percentage of the PB than the xcel.   My customers love them :)

• 3 years later...
I made some wax tarts with soy wax and felt the fragrance was too mild... Then I read up that the throw is not so good with soy wax and I made some with paraffin wax ,used some vybar to get a good throw ..... I used 30 mls of orange essential oil in about half kg of wax. It still does not have a good throw....please help! What am I doing wrong?