floating spinning colorful bombs? How do "they" do that? Anyone know?

I love the bombs I make, and so do my customers, but I'd LOVE to crack the code on the Lush one's, just for fun! Mine have a super long imo (over 4 minutes and then some)...and I've noticed that lush's sometimes disappear in under a minute. I'm just so curious!! Anyone? ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi bombdiggybabe,

I too have been trying to get the spinning, floating, colorful bath bomb like L*ush.  I've tried for about a year now with a ton of different recipes and while my bath bombs are good...they just arent as good as lush.  Ive tried upping the citric, but they didnt seem to help.  I can get mine to float and color the water but i cant get them to spin.  Sorry i couldnt be of more help.  If you ever find a solution, I would love to know!

• 2 months later...

I made my first batch last night using a recipe from the Curious Soapmaker "Avobath" Lush on her blog. She has a video that shows it spinning, floating and fizzing. I did not make the round bombs but placed my solution in a 6 cup silicone muffin pan and used a pusher out of an icing gun to pack it down. The bombs look great but they are really sticky. Being my first time, I don't know if its because of the Alabama humidity or what. All I know is that they held together extremely well and hopefully, will do what they are supposed to do. HTH

Steve

Steve you might have used too much liquid. What is the liquid in that recipe? If there's any glycerin, replace it immediately, because it will only attract more moisture. More moisture will lead to a semi-hard crust, but mush inside. Our humidity isn't what Alabama's is, but it's enough to drive a bomber crazy. 

• Like 1

This recipe uses no liquid, only oils. The bombs do spin somewhat and float on top of the water but the effect was somewhat less than I expected. I'm hoping that when the round molds are going to work better and intend to add some extra oils and more color.