Social Media

Vicky_CO

• 3 weeks later...

I was spending some time on facebook, ran contests etc., but not with any success. A few more visitors to my shop but no sales. I even had ads at facebook which generated more traffic on my site but no sales as well. It is probably that I don't invest regular time in it because I'm not a big facebook fan anyway. I abhore spending half of the day in front of the computer selling myself, in a way.

I never got it business. I have friends that have a ton of likes they have huge following I just never got it. I also think I did not spend enough time on it. I also think most of my clientele was not big on the social media. For my blog I get it and it is slow going but increasing every day. I am not selling anything thing there. It is more of show and tell. That seems to interest people.

Yes! I spend a good bit of time on it and it has netted big dividends. I started with participating in benefit auctions within a couple of the groups. I also decided that my product will not be "on sale". I have seen that bind people to only buying when they know that a seller will have a sale. It can become a vicious cycle. I, instead, used money that I would have lost/spent on a sale and spent it offering giveaways that required people coming first to my page and now to my group. Once my product was in the hands of some trusted buyers, word spread. One thing I found helpful was to ask people to post what scent form out scent list they'd be most interested in trying. That drove them to read our scent list, of course.

Hi Karen,

very good for you, congrats! I guess you have to be really interested in such things in order to do them right. I always thought and still think that facebook is crap though of course a lot of money is made with it. It is just not for me, I would have to force myself and that is nothing I want to do anymore.

Keep up the good work and I wish all others that they succeed as well!

• 2 weeks later...

I do have a website.

I do not spend much time on it. 

I sell at our Local Farmers Market during the Spring to the Fall season.

My website really comes in handy for the Out of Area Customers that want to re-order!!!!

I have developed a great customer base for using my website...

I too battle with the whole social media side of things.  I have a FB, Instagram and Pinterest page.  And have just recently opened up an Etsy shop as I have been invited to be part of the first ever monthly Etsy Territorians (NT Australia) pop-up market.  I have only ever sold 1 item via FB and it would be interesting to see, once I build and take professional pics of my products for my Etsy shop how many sales come through that.  My main issue is my location.  I live in remote part of Australia and so why would someone pay extortion amounts for freight in paying for my goods when they have so many other wonderful candle brands to choose from in the bigger cities.  I do the markets every week, sometimes 2-3 markets per weekend.  And I have started  selling in a few shops.  The population in Darwin is however small - 100,000 people.  

It's interesting to see various replies here.  I find it fascinating why it works for some and not for others.  

I have immersed myself of late reading and listening to marketing / online social media blogs and podcasts.   More so out of curiosity for now.   I know deep down I would much rather be spending my valuable time outside of my job creating than doing social media,  I feel that that in this day and age social media/online presence is  necessary, to some extent.  

Edited by EvyStar