I need new ideas for room fresheners

pamlaura

For the foyer in my own home & even my office, I scent pine cones & keep them displayed in open pottery or baskets.  I also scent crushed corncobs (super cheap huge bags at Wally World) & fill them in rustic mason jars, decorative burlap, etc. Works very well for me.  

Lets see if I can post this..  Thanks so much for the idea, I think this will look cute in my sons cabins down in Arkansas.  Just ordered smelly jelly lids and will get shorter squatty mason jars and I think this will work.  Thanks again!

post-1605-0-32458100-1395015279_thumb.jp

Edited by pamlaura

Lets see if I can post this..  Thanks so much for the idea, I think this will look cute in my sons cabins down in Arkansas.  Just ordered smelly jelly lids and will get shorter squatty mason jars and I think this will work.  Thanks again!

I love that!  

Marcuset, that sounds just like my style (farmhouse/rustic yet still traditional). I would love to see pictures of your displays if you have any to post, especially the mason jars & burlap goodies. 

I think I may be weird, I'm a mix between rustic & southwest.  If I can get my camera to work, happy to.  Actually, the jars & burlap that  I fill with the crushed cob get tucked away in bigger baskets that sort of hide them, but I still get an excellent scent throw.       

Scented salt.

Does not matter the grain size (table, sea, solar...) can be colored with dyes or micas. And is very eco friendly. And, since salt has such a high flash point, salt can be warmed on wax melters of any type.

• Like 1

Scented salt.

Does not matter the grain size (table, sea, solar...) can be colored with dyes or micas. And is very eco friendly. And, since salt has such a high flash point, salt can be warmed on wax melters of any type.

I never thought of that.  I have to give that one a try myself. Thank you.

Terra Cotta also scents very easily.  You can buy the clay and make hanging designs to scent.  I even broke up some cheap tc pots, scented it then added some sea glass and small rocks to put in a jar.  Living near the beach, people love those.  Thanks for the question, it reminded me that I should make those jars again!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Scented salt.

Just another thank you to Talltayl....since you shared this tip, I think I've been doing it constantly (with simple table salt). Scent throw in the warmer is just a wonderful as wax.  Kinda even liking it better than wax.  That says a lot for me. 

• Like 1

what creative ideas!  Never thought to scent terra cotta- it would be a great way to use broken pots that you would otherwise throw away- I always learn something here- thanks so much!  I've used aroma beads and depending on the scent, they last for a while.  I put them in a small bag and hang in my closet to freshen clothes, and even put under my seat in the car to freshen up the car...  now I have to dig out my old pots!!

Guest OldGlory

The single most successful product I've ever made was crystal potpourri, with really large chunks of salt (average size between a dime and a quarter [with dimension]). The years that I sold it wholesale and took it to shows were my best years financially. People were crazy about it and it really worked. I also sold refresher oils because after about 3 months the scent was gone - evaporated. As long as the crystals didn't get too dusty and/or discolored, they would last forever. I miss those days!

The single most successful product I've ever made was crystal potpourri, with really large chunks of salt (average size between a dime and a quarter [with dimension]). The years that I sold it wholesale and took it to shows were my best years financially. People were crazy about it and it really worked. I also sold refresher oils because after about 3 months the scent was gone - evaporated. As long as the crystals didn't get too dusty and/or discolored, they would last forever. I miss those days!

Wonder if those big crystals of water softener salt would work??  I've used plain ole sea salt before but never tried big chunks...I like the idea a whole lot. 

Big chunks would look good colored as well.

big crystals of water softener salt is what I used!

Same here.

A local crafter uses the pressed salt tabs. The ones that are a few inches long and an inch wide or so. She does really well offering a 3x4 plastic zip bag for $4. People love to mix and match.

• Like 1

Me too! Does it matter if it's red out water softener salt (I have tons of rust)

Straight FO or add DPG?

I have those 16 ounce blue mason jars that I think uncolored softener salt would look awesome in- then I could do the wire tops that you cut to fit under the band so you can shake em up once in awhile- then they could be re-used with the wire tops to put flowers in!

I had no idea you could do this and aside from trying incense I have been trying to figure out ways to use up FO that I will never put in wax and making melts with it just doesn't excite me!

Aroma beads never worked for me- scent just didn't stick

• Like 1

Me too! Does it matter if it's red out water softener salt (I have tons of rust)

I would not use salt with additives. not knowing exactly what the additives are, i am not sure how those variables would cause the scents to react with anything other than the salt, kwim?

I do not use DPG on the salt itself. If i were selling refresher oils, i'd consider using DPG if i thought people were likely to use it directly in a warmer without salt...

Guest OldGlory

Hang on - I am digging around in the murky corners of my brain...

Seems I used 1 oz per 10 lbs of crystals. You can refresh it as it dries out.

It has been about 5 years since I sold any of this, and around here you can't get those crystals any more, but I gave a friend some of the finished product. It had been in a glass jar for 5 years and it was as strong as the day I made it.

I was doing a little searching online about these and seen some recipes that use a little glycerin with the DPG.  I am not a bath and body person so I do not know much about it but is glycerin really needed?