Score! My new toy. Now, how will I figure out how to work it?

Well, I have been trying to decide between another Presto or something larger.

Researched and asked here and the "old" Masterbuilt turkey fryers (the new ones look like bread machines) kept coming up. I searched on ebay and they were expensive and shipping was high. On a whim, I checked my local craigslist and I found a new, "old" Masterbuilt Turk and Surf Premium! Stainless inside and out like my Presto. Never used but stored in a barn where the box and top of the fryer got very dusty. I could not believe it.

Picked it up today. Cleaned up the dust and decided to photograph it next to my Presto pot. The regular Presto holds 8 pounds of wax. I am not completely sure how many pounds the new one will hold. I have read between 35 and 45 pounds so I will see! It is massive, to me. May have to alter my thermometer set up.

It came with everything, has never been used at all but I am missing the owner's manual. I will search for one of those or a digital version so that I have any idea what I am doing with it.

The best part? It was just $25!

I had to take this pic and post because people not into wax just would not understand. Thanks for letting me share!

post-14519-139458518739_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I just keep saying "Do not forget to start with the coils covered with melted wax as Patty said!". haha! I will melt some in my Presto and pour it in before starting it up.

I am so Type A/OCD that I clean my Presto inside and out after every use (I do not pour wax full time, obviously) so getting used to shutting this off and having wax still in it will be weird.

May have to have my husband make me some kind of hook or something for my thermometer. I use the probe kind on the "tether" so I told him today to be thinking of something. He is super clever, makes or welds up a bundle of things for me and has tons of stainless and aluminum pieces from his race car building stuff. What do you do for thermometer?

Well, I have been trying to decide between another Presto or something larger.

Researched and asked here and the "old" Masterbuilt turkey fryers (the new ones look like bread machines) kept coming up. I searched on ebay and they were expensive and shipping was high. On a whim, I checked my local craigslist and I found a new, "old" Masterbuilt Turk and Surf Premium! Stainless inside and out like my Presto. Never used but stored in a barn where the box and top of the fryer got very dusty. I could not believe it.

Picked it up today. Cleaned up the dust and decided to photograph it next to my Presto pot. The regular Presto holds 8 pounds of wax. I am not completely sure how many pounds the new one will hold. I have read between 35 and 45 pounds so I will see! It is massive, to me. May have to alter my thermometer set up.

It came with everything, has never been used at all but I am missing the owner's manual. I will search for one of those or a digital version so that I have any idea what I am doing with it.

The best part? It was just $25!

I had to take this pic and post because people not into wax just would not understand. Thanks for letting me share!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27084[/ATTACH]

lots of time..you can google that model for owners manual..and find it..

we have did that before when we need to.

Great find..congratulations...

• 1 month later...

You certainly can use the spigot. I am so used to my ladle method that I have not yet. I have used this over and over since getting it. I have had it packed full several times already! I LOVE it. The only drawback for me is that it has to be carried into the kitchen as I do not do this full time so have no shop. I have not used my Presto since getting this.

I have been searching for a second one as a backup.

The Masterbuilt heats the wax to 200 degrees and pretty darn fast. The spout is perfect for me and the only problem mine has is with trash that gets in the wax. I placed a fine wire mesh screen on the inside over the spout and it does a good job of keeing trash out. You can pour quickly with the right set up,  I have a two eye electric warmer (eyes are covered) and keep my pour pot and thermometer on standby while getting the fo ready and jars ready. Very dependable, I've had mine for about 4 years and it works like a charm (have a back up just in case). Cleaning is a real breeze, let your wax get low and pour out into your pour pot and lift out the aluminum liner and wipe out with a paper towel. Just remember to line up the heating coils just right or you won't make a full contact and you will freak out that the thing is broken. HTH

Steve