A Little help getting to know you.

Vicky_CO

• 1 month later...

What's my name?: Dante' (it was given to me from my father.  Growing up, his childhood friend name was Dante' and he promised to name his first son Dante)

Where am I from?;  Currently I live in Rhode Island (yes it is one of the 50 states, the smallest one)

How old am I?; 44 years old

How did I get started and how long have I been making candles?: I got started by picking up a candle making kit at my local craft store and been hooked ever since. I have been making candles for about 3 months now and it is very much a love/hate/hate relationship. lol, seriously, I love it.

Am I married/kids?  Yes I am married and have been for 18 years.  My wife and I have 5 wonderful children.

Is candlemaking my primary job, if not what is?; I'm a social worker for the State of RI.  I work with children to help them get back home from shelters and group homes.  This is a wonderful hobby for me because my job is very stressful and candle making takes me to a relaxing place (usually), lol.

Anything else you should know?;I played college basketball and standing 6'4 and 230 pounds,  I told my wife that I was going to make candles as a hobby, she looked like seriously???? She came around quickly and is now getting into it also. People do a double take when I tell them I make scented candles as a hobby.  I think because I have big hands that I'd crush the jars, spill the wax or cause an explosion.  lol, stereotypes.  This forum is wonderful and thank you for the knowledge. 

B)

• Like 3

Welcome Dante'! I'm a fairly new member too, and totally missed this thread, so here's mine!

No idea why it won't let me un-bold or de-colour below, but oh well :)

What's your name?  My name is Bruce, though I often use the handle DrLlama on fora. I shamelessly stole the handle from an old friend of mine who created it originally for the Apple Newton Developer Technical Support Group.

How old are you? On the down slope, 51 this year. They say you're only as old as you feel... which means some days I'm in my 70s, others, I'm about 3 and a half :P

Where do you live? My wife and I live in Sunny (and way too dry) California, just outside San Francisco.

How long have you been making candles? Uh, about 5 minutes? Well, no, actually about two weeks at this point. I'm waiting (im)patiently for my first scented candles to be ready to test, this needing to let Soy cure is gonna make me crazy, I swear!

How did you get started making candles? I've thought about it from time to time over many years and finally decided to give it a whirl, and I'm having a ball so far! Except for the waiting (I hate waiting, can you tell?)

Are you married? Any kids? Happily married for 17 years, in fact three days from now is the 18th anniversary of our first date!

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I'm a geek. I work for Cisco doing software development.

Anything else we should know? In a staggering coincidence, I'm the exact same height as Dante! 6'4", but not nearly coordinated enough to play basketball. My other main hobby is Crochet, when I was a kid I played pipe organ and over one summer while my teacher was on vacation I wanted something to keep my fingers in shape, so my mom taught me and we made a blanket for my then baby cousin. Mostly I make afghans, my wife does minis and she keeps wanting me to make a mini afghan, but those super small hooks scare the heck out of me! I'm also my wife's primary caregiver (thank goodness Cisco is supportive about me working from home almost full time). She suffered a major stroke in late 2008 and though she's come a long way in her recovery, she's still quite disabled so taking care of her keeps me busy.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

What's my name? - Melissa

Where am I from? - I live in Southwest Missouri (The Ozarks). Yes, I probably have the accent :)

How old am I? - 46 years old

How did I get started and how long have I been making candles? - I picked up a Yankee Candle one day and said "I'm not buying this when I can make it. How hard can it be?" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! That was about four years ago.

Is candle making my primary job? - No. I am a math teacher by trade :)

Am I married/kids? - Yes for 27 years. I have one daughter (25 yrs) and one son (21 yrs).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

What's your name? Linda
How old are you? Old enough to drink but can't hold my liquor
Where do you live? Detroit
How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? bakery candles since 2007, cb135 soy,palm wax 2 years, melt and pour a few months.
How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? to relieve stress
Are you married? Any kids? no and yes (2 male boxers, father and son, they r my babies)
If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? take care of my elder mother.
Anything else we should know? yes, I love this forum, not really new, but this is the best place to learn, and being in this forum is like having family members, that you love to talk to and spending alot of money, to learn new things, but isn't that what life is all about? family and friends.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

What's your name? Fine
How old are you?  Have been 29 inside for many years
Where do you live? ½ the year in Denmark Bogø, other ½ in Spain Alicante
How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Been soaping since June 2012
How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?  Searched recipe for soap due to allergies, became addicted
Are you married? Any kids? Happily married for 25 years, 1 son
If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? home running, enjoying life
Anything else we should know? Naarh. Just going to lurk for a while *hiding*

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

How old are you? I've gotta color these grays soon!
Where do you live? Florida
How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Hobbyist candlemaker for 25 years, since I was in college.
How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? A friend showed me how. I became obsessed.
Are you married? Any kids? Yes & Yes
If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? professional nerd
Anything else we should know? For a while I taught candlemaking workshops, sold at craft shows and at my studio space, and wrote Candlemaking for Fun & Profit back in 2000. I took a little break to grow my family. Because, you know, hot wax and little kids just don't mix :). In the past couple of years (now that my kids are older) I have restarted making candles on a more regular basis. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

My name is Holli. I am 49yrs young.

I live in Conyers, Ga

I have not made my first candle but have been trying to gather as much education and feedback on the topic. I would like to make beautiful fragrant soy candles, scrubs, lotion and body powders.

I enjoy doing crafty things but never taught about candle making until recently.

I hope to turn this into a business to free me from working for others. Hope to find a nitch.

I joined this website to learn from others and in time help someone else.

• Like 3

I didn't know this thread was here until a little while ago! I love reading about everyone!

What's my name-Belinda

How Old Are you?-59, will be 60 in April (Ouch! That hurts to actually put it in writing LOL!) My mind keeps telling me I'm young but my body disagrees.

Where do you live?- In a small town about 50 miles North Of Houston Texas called Cleveland. We have a house and ten acres on a dirt road in deep East Texas.

How Long Have You Been Making Candles/Soaps?- Started almost 4 years ago, make mostly melts but hope to get into candles a little more soon.

How Did You Get Started?-I wanted to buy some grubby candles and didn't want to pay $7 a piece for them. Found a website that had "recipes" on it, bought several and downloaded them and bought the supplies and then it became an obsession as most of you know! LOL! After that I was hooked and thought this would be a good side business when I retire, which I'm still waiting to do.

Is This My Primary Job?-No. I'm a paraprofessional and have been working with special needs children for 19 years. I also drive a special needs school bus. I was also a burner and crane operator in the 70's for Brown & Root and met my husband there who was also a crane operator!

Are You Married and Do you have any children?- Yes, for 39 years and yes, I have two boys, 32 and 27. One is a preacher and one is a reporter.

Anything else we should know?- I love the Lord and love hearing my son preach and my other one lead prayer. It gives me such a good feeling. I also love to read and craft. I love my job very much and have become a 2nd mom to one downs syndrome girl that comes to stay with us all the time. She's like part of our family.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so glad I found this board...I am excited to learn more and to get to know fellow "chandlers" who are interested in this obsession as well! I live in Miami, married and I have been making candles since last summer. I used to be a tv news investigative reporter and I have won several Emmy awards for work involving hidden cameras and crime.  It was a fantastic job but I've slowed down a bit and I've gone from zero hobbies, to quite a few including tennis, orchids, sewing, dog training, and of course there's the whole candle thing.  I usually get into something...get bored...and fine something new. But this candle thing has stuck and I am having a great time designing cool containers and selling them through word-of-mouth.  I'm not really interested in the whole craft fair angle, but I am happy to give them as gifts and slowly work my way into having them at local stores little by little.  I am busy experimenting with waxes (I've been trying about 10 different waxes but my faves are the 464 GB and an accu-blend I found that apparently just came out).  I just looked at my FO stash and I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that there are about 60 different FO's I have purchased in my quest to find the "best FO supplier".  I think I have found my fave suppliers (after trying about 10-15 diff. FO suppliers) and I've narrowed down the 2-3 best companies I like to purchase from! So that's about it :)  I really respect the knowledge base that is here and look forward to learning and sharing info. as well!

Laurie

You do not have to be a new member to introduce yourself.

• Like 1

On March 11, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Vicky_CO said:

Welcome Laurie I glad you found us.

60 FO is not bad I refuse to say how many is in my stash it is embarrassing how many I have.

Have fun here and we want pictures of your candles :)

Well....since you asked....here are some pictures of some of my little candles! These were done for a hair salon, thus the blow dryer theme.

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

• Like 2

Love love love those candles.  The designs on the glass are so cute.

I had no idea this thread existed but have loved reading about everyone :)

What's your name?  Erica

How old are you? 25

Where do you live? Southern California between LA and Las Vegas, in the middle of the Mojave Desert.

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever?  Been making candles for about 10 months now and not getting tired of it any time soon!

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?  My husband got stationed here with the Army about 2.5 years ago and since we're so far away from civilization, I needed some hobbies.  I started painting reclaimed wood signs and selling them on post, and being crafty I wanted to make more than just wood artwork.  I love having candles in the house and thought I'd try my hand at it one day... and here we are!

Are you married? Any kids?  Married yes, kids no.  

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do?  Before moving to SoCal I worked as a archaeological field technician in North Dakota; I was lucky once I moved here to find a job in the same field, but it's only part-time since I'm so far away from everything.  Kind of an on-call position.  

Anything else we should know?  Hmmm, I have two 80 lb goldendoodles who help me craft all day.  Which by that I mean put their noses in everything and ask to be let in and out of the house all day... needless to say I don't get as much done as I hope to.  When my husband and I aren't working or crafting (he does some woodworking), we take the pups on day hikes and camping trips, and it's really a lot of fun :).  Love to be outdoors.

• Like 3

What's your name?  Debbie

How old are you?  Ugh....47 1/2

Where do you live?  South Jersey....but a Michigan Native...grew up in the "thumb" of Michigan

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever?  Since 2008 I think?  Started with soap....then candles. Dabbled in some lotions, scrubs lipbalms.

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?  Got hurt at work, used to be a mail carrier for 18 years, got stressed out after surgery to my hand....started using essential oils in diffusers to calm down,  wanted to shower with calming oils....thus the soap journey began lol. I still diffuse essential oils to this day...favorite is lavender, peppermint and my thieves oil.

Are you married? Any kids?  Yep...16 years together for nearly 25 though.  No kids....fur dog....Primo. He's my baby boy

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do?  I moved on to real estate 4 years ago.  I can no longer do any heavy lifting or repetitive mail work, so decided to get my real estate license and I kinda like it....but I'm certainly not selling New York or LA ....I wish!    LOL.

Anything else we should know?  I'm married to a cop....so I naturally support those in blue or tan or black or whatever color they wear....and think that it's a bit unfair the way they have been portrayed  in the media the last year or so.  There are bad apples in every facet of society....but for the most part...they leave their families every shift to protect everyone else, with no guarantee they will come home afterwards...and get little thanks for it.  

• Like 7