A Little help getting to know you.

Vicky_CO

These questions were originally posted by laurenscandlebakery in a get to know you thread. So please start your own thread and let us get to know you. Only answer the questions you are comfortable. I personally will never tell you how old I am. :)These are only suggestive questions not required.

What's your name?

How old are you?

Where do you live?

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever?

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?

Are you married? Any kids?

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do?

Anything else we should know?

You do not have to be a new member to introduce yourself.

Edited by Vicky_CO

Guest OldGlory

These questions were originally posted by laurenscandlebakery in a get to know you thread. So please start your own thread and let us get to know you. Only answer the questions you are comfortable. I personally will never tell you how old I am. :) These are only suggestive questions not required.

What's your name? Let's stay with Old Glory.
How old are you? Getting closer to retirement with each passing day :)
Where do you live? Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee
How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? 12 years making candles, and I dabble a bit with lots of other things
How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I wanted to create a line of aromatherapy candles using essential oils in soy wax.
Are you married? Any kids? Divorced, divorced, divorced, only stepkids
If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? Fragrance crafting was my primary job for many years, but I manage a retail clothing store right now.
Anything else we should know? Why - what have you heard? <giggling>
You do not have to be a new member to introduce yourself.

What's your name? Candy B. of course!

How old are you? In my mind I am young, spry, wiry, and coordinated. In reality I am out of my mind.

Where do you live? in the Blue Ridge Mtns in the Shenandoah Valley one mile from Skyline Drive

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? made my first candle at 9 yrs old, started my candle biz in 2006

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? My brother and I started making candles when we were kids for our tree fort. We wanted to have some lighting since there was no electricity in the fort. The hobby grew from there.

Are you married? Any kids? No. Yes. and No. Figure that one out!

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I work part time bookkeeping for a non-profit org that helps seniors stay independent and in their own home. Can you tell I love my work!

Anything else we should know? I make awesome coconut pecan cookies and sugar cookies and every now and then I go through a homemade bread making phase that lasts for about 6 months then I get tired of baking and quit until next time...

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 3

Oh fun! I love these kind of threads!

What's your name? Maya

How old are you? old enough to have fun!

Where do you live? Twin Cities, Minneapolis St. Paul area, Minnesota

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Soap 13 years, I own an apothecary and I am an herbalist and aromatherapist. I've been doing that since god was a baby.

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? Well, my family are herbalist, so I inherited the genetics to do it.

Are you married? Any kids? Nope and yep.

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? Tis, I also see clients as an herbalist and aromatherapist and a pregnancy, labor and post partum doula.

Anything else we should know? Anything you would like to know.

• Like 2

What's your name? Nikki

How old are you? 32

Where do you live? Louisiana

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Incense and m&p soap 3 yrs, melts and candles 1 yr.

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I've always loved scents, so researched and dove in

Are you married? Any kids? Yes and yes, mama to 3 boys

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? Raising my boys

• Like 2

What's your name?
Carrie

How old are you?
A very young 53 yr old!

Where do you live?
Due west of Houston, TX.

Candles since 2001. Sold my biz in 2011, but still pour for me and friends.

My bff and I went to her counsins candle party (she owned her own candle biz). I purchased about 4 candles which totalled $70 and I thought "crap! I can do this!", so I researched and we poured our first candles in my kitchen. They bombed, but drove me even harder to learn more.

Happy to say No. Yes ~ two boys 15 and 29.

Full-time oil & gas accounting for 14 years.

I love yard work even though my body doesn't! LOL I spend alot of time carting my 15 yr old around for his various sporting activities. Now that football season is over, he's into power-lifting, so I fixed awesome big dinners! I love to cook!

• Like 2

What's your name? Suzy

How old are you? 36

Where do you live? Oregon

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Mineral Makeup almost 2 years, Wax Melts 3 years, Lip balm and others almost 1 year, Soap 2 years but just recently started selling. I've owned my own business for 10 years but have switched a few times and now, no more switching! I love what I do.

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I've always been crafty and I just wanted something new to do and began researching making soap and started with the wax melts instead. The mineral makeup was another thing I decided to research and started to do. :)

Are you married? Any kids? Was married, not now. Been dating an awesome guy for a little over 2 years. I have 3 boys from my marriage.

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? This is my work. :) I get to be a work at home mom and I am so grateful for that.

Anything else we should know? I love the Lord and am very active in my church. I am so grateful to be a part of a wonderful church who takes care of each other. I love working from home and I work hard to be able to do so. I also homeschool my kids and it's so much fun ( most of the time). Also, I am hilarious. ;)

Edited by SuzyK
  • Like 4

What's your name? Moonshine / Dawn

How old are you? 42

Where do you live? Michigan

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? 2008 I started making my first wax melts

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? 2008 was a horrible year for our industry, so I thought I would try and make some money on the side by selling melts and candles....6 years later I still have yet to "make" serious money!Lol -but I love making them and continue to do so and have a pretty regular customer following

Are you married? Any kids? yes for 20 years! and I have a daughter 20 and a son almost 18

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? my husband owns a business with several divisions - I manage the office and try to keep all the books straight

Anything else we should know? I never thought myself a real big animal lover but somehow I have 2 horses, 2 dogs and 2 cats... I keep wanting to rescue more horses and if I could I would take every cat in out there that needs a home! I will be the crazy cat lady at 70

I love to read when there is time, I have about 10 t.v. shows that I love and spend every spare minute catching up on, I used to cook all the time but work and everything else in life has put that last on my list of things to do and as much as I love making candles I have found myself in a rut of getting motivated to pour, I made a lot before Christmas and sold out but now I just cant get myself down there to make more- I keep finding other things to do instead...all day I have been telling myself to get down there and here it is 4:00 and I am on here instead....

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 3

How old are you? 45

Where do you live? Western Australia

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Just starting out - November 2013

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? Have loved candles most of my life and recieved some bday money in November, so thought why not buy some candle making supplies and have a go myself.

Are you married? Any kids? Yes 23yrs, g21, g18, and b16

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? Im a bear artist, have a home business making bears for 7yrs now. Going to add some candles to my table at shows I do.

Anything else we should know? Im just a sahm who is battling lupus and various other autoimmune conditions and trying my best to do the things I love so I dont go insane ;)

• Like 2

What's your name? Fran

How old are you? 52

Where do you live? In the redwoods

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? 3 years

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? bought the business from a friend

Are you married? Any kids? yup 28 yrs, yup 2 guys 22 &25

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? part time sec/bkkpr for economic development company, also part time shampoo girl for dog groomer friend

Anything else we should know? I didn't mention my third child...my dog! LOVE MY DOG :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What's your name? Brianna

How old are you? 29

Where do you live? Concord (Charlotte area), North Carolina

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? About 1.5 years

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I'm a licensed esthetician and have been in the skin care/spa industry since 2009. I LOVE crafting and decided to try making some M&P soap. I was hooked and my business was born soon after.

Are you married? Any kids? Married, have an 11 year old daughter

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I'm a Logistics Coordinator for my family's consulting company (my Dad owns it), but I also put full-time hours in to my business

Anything else we should know? I'm a new business owner and I am DETERMINED to make this work. I refuse to give up no matter what!

• Like 1

What's your name? Michelle

How old are you? 42

Where do you live? O'Fallon, MO (suburb of St Louis)

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Candles - 10 years in June. Bath/body/lotion - about 5 months

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I saw a web site with mini-flower-pot candles and thought they would be cute to make for favors for our wedding. And... that was that!

Are you married? Any kids? Married to a wonderful man, and I have three kids: 18yo son (previous marriage), 8yo son, and 7yo daughter (16 months apart!)

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I worked for an investment firm for 12 years before I quit in 2012. Went "full-time" with the candle biz last March! :)

Anything else we should know? I'm a rabid Saints fan (although a StL native), I play World of Warcraft (even though it's a young nerd's game, not an old nerd like me), I'm back at school for my MBA, and my goal in life is to make the world's best bubble bar.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What's your name? Stacey

How old are you? 45 (good god, I just realized I'm middle aged - never thought I'd live that long - LOL) *hiding*

Where do you live? In my beautiful mountains in Ozark County, Missouri :rockon:

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Candles - 25 years :highfive:

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? My niece had a small candle making kit and she wanted my help. Little did we both realize that a monster would soon be born. :party:

Are you married? Any kids? I am engaged to my high school sweetheart. We re-met five years ago in the dog food isle at Dollar General - how's that for incredibly sappy sweet? As for kids - I have four legged ones. An American Staffordshire Terrier named Drake, a nine-month old Boxer/Lab mix named Hercules, a beautiful Snowshoe Siamese named Puddin' who will be seventeen years old this coming Halloween, a cross-eyed pain in the butt half Snowshoe half Himalayan named OJ that is the sweetest thing on four paws and will be thirteen years old in September and a newly acquired orange tabby baby - nine months old named Sunshine who loves giving kitty kisses. :bliss:

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I am a senior cook at Rockbridge Trout Ranch and have been there for five years. *getdown*

Anything else we should know? I can't live without my Pepsi and when I'm making candles the only music I listen to is The Doors. :Werd:

• Haha 1

What's your name? Sue Ellen - yep, that's my actual name, my dad named me, long story behind where the name came from, but it did not come from "Dallas" (the tv show). And no, there was not a Sue Ellen in the Walton's ,(there was a Mary Ellen), you'd be amazed how often I am asked that. There was a Sue Ellen in Gone With The Wind, (it amazes me how so few people remember Scarlett's little sisters).

How old are you? 47

Where do you live? Greenville, South Carolina - I love it here!

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? I've been crafting stuff since I was a kid, mostly sewing, started perfecting the candles to get ready to sell last year.

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I don't remember, just always loved doing all crafty stuff.

Are you married? Any kids? Married 1.5 years ago. He has two grown children and four grandchildren. But most importantly we have 3 dogs; his (Ginger, 10 year old miniature beagle who rules the house), mine (Pepper, 16 year old chow/catahoula mix, she moves a lot slower than she used to, but she is still doing remarkably well for her age); and our newest baby (George, a 1.5 year old boxer, he is a total mess and completely lovable).

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I have been a paralegal for over 15 years for attorneys who do mostly family court stuff. I am good at what I do and it pays the bills, but it is a depressing job, dealing with people while they go through a divorce is no fun at all. The attorneys I work for are getting on in age and have passed retirement ages. I am just waiting for the announcement of when their retirement dates will be, which will also be the date that I become unemployed. Having to start over at a new law firm and having to deal with more people going through divorce is just not what I want to do. So after much discussion with the husband, research, prayers, etc. I decided to do what I love and go in business for myself. So here I go. I'm just starting trying to sell my creations instead of just enjoying them myself and giving them for gifts.

Anything else we should know? I love this forum, you people are very insperational for me, I love reading about your successes, failures, and questions, and I love reading that I'm not the only one who has tons of questions, heck, most any question I think of I can just do a search on here and somebody has already asked it and several somebody elses have already answered it. Thank you all!!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

What's your name? Andrew
How old are you? 44
Where do you live? NJ
How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? 15
How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? Hobby
Are you married? Any kids? Married 2 kids
If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? My real job is, I'm a Senior Estimator in Heavy Construction
Anything else we should know? My wife and I have dabbled in all types of crafts including candle making, which we only do when we need to restock our own candle supply. She paints and we both do chainmaille. We also own several websites. Including Handmade Aritsts and It's Better Handmade. So we are pretty deep in the handmade industry, which we love!

• Like 1

What's your name? Dessa - Not Megan as most would assume based on my user name. My kids are Megan and Garrett. Get it?

How old are you? According to my birth certificate I am in my mid 40's, but as the saying goes, 40 is the new 20 so lets just stick with 20 something.

Where do you live? in Arizona, but I should be living somewhere with lots of tree, barns, farmhouses and old country homes with big front porches. 

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? for about 4 years now. I only make tarts, primarily as a hobby. I sell here and there to friends on a request basis, but nothing more than that. 

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I was trying to replicate the feeling of fall (even though it was over 100 degrees in Arizona) so I was searching for a good pumpkin pie candle and I stumbled on this site. The rest is history.
Are you married? Any kids? Yes & Yes, kids are 13 and 15, and married for almost 19 years
If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I work full time outside of the home for
 a large finance company.

Anything else we should know? I love to decorate and DIY projects for our home. I am currently into the farmhouse/cottage style and am constantly adding little things here and there to make our house a cozy home. Oh yeah, and I love Pinterest!  I have a blog where I post my creations/projects. My blog is not the most exciting (really quite boring) but it is pic heavy for anyone that may like that style.   www.justaddsomejava.blogspot.com   (I also love coffee, hence the blog name, and my family are big fans of Disneyland and Disneyworld!)

Edited by megandgarr
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

I've just now realized that there was an introductory section of the forum. Geesh!

What's your name?
Shoegal :)

How old are you?
30 something or other. Who really keeps track of such things LOL

Where do you live?
I spend my time between Las Vegas, and Los Angeles

I make candles, body butters, body scrubs & lip balms at the moment. I started making candles about 5 years ago. I started working with body butters, scrubs and lip balms about a year and a half ago. I really want to try soaps, but I am a little nervous about it.

I started making candles for my mother. She loves candles I fell into the whole "paraffin will kill you" bs that was going around the internet. I wanted to make her a healthy alternative, so I started making soy candles. I've found that I absolutely loved it. I spent almost two years testing and making candles for her. Then it spread to her friends, my friends...more of our family and now, here we are.

I've been married for 3 years to a man that I dated for 8 years before finally caving and saying "I DO" I'm joking. He's awesome and I adore him. For now anyway. Haha!

This is my job. Other than that, I'm a stay at home wife to my awesome husband and a stay at home aunt to my wonderful niece. Toddlers are a handful when you're trying to run your own home based business, but I love her to pieces.

Hmm, I'm addicted to research, chicken fingers and oreo cookies. I am also obsessed with computers. I have 7 of them and I'll go nuts if I come across another one that I want because I'll just have to have it. No ifs ands or butts about it. Oh, I'm a pretty decent photographer too. That's about all I can think of right now :)

• Like 2

I, too, just realized there was a getting-to-know-you thread, lol.

What's your name?  PhoenixFyre  --- Kim
How old are you?   38
Where do you live?   Arizona, but miss the beautiful weather and trees/greenery of California where I grew up.
How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever?  Haven't started yet, but will be making candles (to start with). ;)
How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?  I've always had a craft bug. I've tried cross-stitching, candlewicking, calligraphy, drawing, and oil painting. I have stuck with cross stitching and calligraphy over the years but was itching to try something new. I have always LOVED candles and constantly have some lit in my house. I even remember making tapers back in the day at Girl Scout camp! I started researching candle making and somehow found this website, and that pushed me over the cliff to get me started.
Are you married? Any kids? Yep. Married 15 years now. Three kids with my husband and two married stepdaughters.
If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? My primary job is serving God. Besides keeping the house (somewhat) clean, I homeschool our kids. I also help my husband with his business. He is an airbrush artist/custom painter, and I do prep work, sanding, etc. for him. I also work from home as a transcriptionist for a market research company.
Mmmm...not much else. I love to read and play an occasional video game with my kids when I have time. I love studying the Bible and enjoy studying and discussing beliefs with people of various churches/denominations/religions. My husband and I are into the show Vikings right now and current books on my Kindle are Jane Eyre,The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones series (come on George R.R. Martin...get the next book written already!). On my TV right now is Netflix,The Story of Ruth. Oh...and we have a bull terrier named Romeo, our faithful watchdog.

• Like 1

I didn't even know this post was here.....cool!

ok, 

What's your name?

My real name is Suzanne.

How old are you?

Well, my birthday was last week and I tried not to remember it.  Just about everyone forgot it too....so that was ok with me. LOL

That doesn't answer this question, does it?  Oh well!

Where do you live?

I live in Cherry Log, Ga in the mountains in a cabin.

How long have you been making candles/soap?

Well, it's about 8 to 10 years.....can't remember...Oh, I make candles and melts...Don't do soaps but just drool over everyones and order them and then they sit out on display for me to admire.

How did you get started making candles/soaps?

I've always been a crafty person and when I had my home furnishings and interior design shop, I would always be ordering McCalls Candles for my store as they were my main big profit thing in my shop and I always wanted to try and design my own so my sister in Maine started making them and she taught me how and from then on I was addicted and soon they were in my store and other stores.

Are  y.ou married/any kids?

My husband just recently died at a horribly young age of 57.  We were married 23 years.  We met in Fla 27 years ago. We never had children.  My animals were my kids....16 cats, (so many rescues), 1 dog, Bonnie and 3 horses (2 which were rescues).   We moved to the mountains here in Ga 25 years ago and together we created a beautiful life and started a wonderful home furnishings business, me the designer, had my own drapery workroom  and he the master artisan of creating one of a kind rustic adirondack furniture and cornice boards. My dad built the shell of the cabin I live in now and my husband, Scott and I finished it to where it is today. Every where I look in my home, I see Scott in every corner of it and look at what he had done....I miss him so......

If candle/soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do?

I work at home creating custom cornice boards for window treatments for clients and have accounts that I sell to making candles and firestarters and a couple days each week I have my own small business of cleaning private cabins here in the mountains (which I HATE) but have to do to make ends meet since I closed my store.  My dream would be to have a cat sanctuary on my little 5 acre piece of property I own where I keep my horses.

Believe in yourself and don't give up on life as down and out as we may get in times of enduring troubles.  I've been there and still am....If it weren't for my 2 beautiful sisters to keep on giving me the inspiration to go on and never give up, but know that God is walking right besides me.  The sun will shine 1 day again for me.  And love one another always.

Trappeur

• Like 11

I might as well jump on this bandwagon. :) 

What's your name? You can just call me J. :) 

How old are you? Old enough to know better! HA

Where do you live? Denver metro area of Colorado - born native. 

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? I've been making candles for going on 17 years now, soaps for about 12 years, and I just started making lotions about 1.5 years ago. I've dabbled in other bath n' body products, but nothing serious, and the afore mentioned are the only things I sell. I've made bath bombs, cupcakes, body sprays, etc., but only for personal use. 

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I was an avid buy of Party Lite candles, and thought (as most people do) "how hard can it be to make my own" LOL Umm, it is way harder than you realize when first starting out. (and way more expensive than I ever imagined) I would not give it up for the world. :) 

Are you married? Any kids? Remarried for 12 years this month (St. Patrick's Day - best holiday of the year) 2 children - girl 23, boy 16, and a granddaughter who is 5 (she is the blessing of my life - born at only 2lbs - love her to pieces) 

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I've been recently laid off from a job I loved and had for 7 years. I was a Land Document Specialist in the Oil and Gas industry and would go back to that position/industry in a heart beat, and when my severance and unemployment run out (or hopefully WAY before that) I will look for jobs primarily in that industry. 

Anything else we should know? I am an avid reader - almost to the point of obsession - however, I am a very slow reader. LOL I have over 3000 ebooks, and at least twice that many physical books, I have 3 bookshelves in my bedroom and at least one in every other room minus bathrooms and kitchen. LOL (However, there are books in those rooms, just not shelves! LOL) At the moment I am reading the 5th book of GoT, and am watching the show to see how closely it correlates (the first season was great and spot on - now, well, the character names are the same... That's about it! LOL) 

I would love to take a photography class to get better at taking product pictures, and there is a place here that offers them. I was all set to sign up for one this summer, until the layoff. Now I will have to play it by ear. 

I'm pretty much an open book and anything you want to know of me, just ask. I might tell you! LOL j/k - unless it really is something very personal (which very few things are with me) then I will answer. 

I'm glad this thread was brought back to life. It's fun to get to know people. :) 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

What's your name? Darlene

How old are you? 55 and still alive!

Where do you live? Louisiana

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? I've been soaping for years and playing with wax for about a year.

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?  I jumped right in years ago with soaping.

Are you married? Any kids? Yes. A grown daughter. And a beautiful granddaughter.

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? Piddling around the house with too many crafts going on at once! Haha. I also have the privilege of keeping my precious grandbaby.

Anything else we should know? Well, I'm glad I found this board. I like meeting fellow crafter's. Everyone is so helpful. I haven't posted much, but I've gotten some great information from the site.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

What's your name? ThisLittleLight :lol:

How old are you? 42

Where do you live? Ohio

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Started in 1998, I think.

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I don't really remember, but I started with cold processed soap making, and moved to candles. Now I've got a work room again, so I'll probably do both eventually, around a full time job ;) .

Are you married? Any kids? Third time's a charm, well blended with 5 kids

Anything else we should know? Like what?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!

My name is Mallory and I'm brand new to the forum.

I'm 28 from Phoenix AZ.

I've JUST started making soy candles a few weeks ago. I purchased all supplies from CS and have made several "trial run" candles and clearly have a lot to learn. I'm making them for a business so I definitely want the results to be more professional.

Getting married at the end of the year, no kids yet.

I also work for my fiancée!

Will be posting on threads soon!

Edited by MissGamble
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1