Help with Glitter again!

doglvr

So I've got my glitter all lined up in neat little salt shakers all ready to use. It works great on cups and clams, but I'm trying to figure out how to do molded shapes. When you pour wax into the mold, it's the bottom side that is used when you pop it out. If you put glitter in the mold first, it just mixes in with the wax and doesn't stay there so the effect of it is lost.

If you put it on after it's popped out, it doesn't stick and is just a waste. So........... what's the answer here? How do people do this? Line them all up on the counter and hit it with a heat gun until melted a little so it will stick? Then the wax melts and runs down the sides.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help!

I didn't know anything about using glue. What kind of glue? You mean put it on the top of the molded tarts after they come out of the mold and then sprinkle the glitter? Does the glue show? See, I told you I can't figure this one out!! LOL

You don't want to use glue on your wax melts. Do you want it just on top or do you want it throughout the melt. I don't put glitter or anything on mine. Maybe wait to put on when it's almost set up. I'm sure someone has better advice. lol

Just for tarts. When you use a mold, like the fluted, the pretty side of the tart is on the bottom of the mold, so there is no way to put glitter on that before pouring or wait for it to set up, because the "molded" part is on the bottom and unreachable. I just can't figure out how to get glitter to stay on it once it's popped out of the mold and already hardened. Any ideas? I've seen them, so I know it's possible. I just can't figure it out :(

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever find an answer to this? I use glitter all the time on my molded tarts. I put a good coating of glitter in the mold then I use disposable plastic pipettes and slowly pipe a layer of wax in the bottom of the mold so it does not move the glitter into the wax then I slowly pour the rest of the wax. you either need to move fast to do this or risk the unpoured wax cooling to fast. I normally mix a small batch of wax with a proportionate amount of FO then pipe it. then I mix the rest of the wax and FO and pour. That gives me more time to make sure things look good and still not have to lose scent in rewarming. It takes a bit more work and time but it is worth it to have a beautiful tart. Also I mix in color as well lol

hmmmm.....well I use 4794 votive wax and if you are talking about the embed molds....brownies, bread, snowballs, pies, gingerbread men, marshmallows, ice cream scoops, etc.... I just sprinkle the glitter into the mold and then pour my wax...I don't pour my wax real warm.....I pour cooler @ about 160-165..... the wax melts look so purty and glittery when they come out! As a matter of fact...I am making some of them today for an order! Everyone loves the melts in different shapes...they are just adorable! :)

Edited by puma52

I will try that today if I find the patience. It's nice to just pour hot wax into the molds and be done. Waiting for it to cool means a harder time cleaning up the pot. Argh.. it's never easy, is it? Thanks for letting me know!

Jackie

I will take some pics and hopefully I can angle the camera and use lights to where you will be able to see the glitter really well. Also made white and red floating candles w/glitter.....beautimus!!! :) I will try really hard to get a couple of pics up in the next couple of days. :)

Edited by puma52

Hmmm..first time posting pics here...we'll see how this goes...tarts both w/wo glitter and large and small floating candles w/1 and 3 wicks all w/glitter .... fun, fun, fun! :) I just love playing w/glitter, but it is and does get EVERYWHERE!! Hee, hee....love it!! :)

post-12341-139458516392_thumb.jpg

post-12341-139458516417_thumb.jpg

post-12341-139458516436_thumb.jpg

post-12341-139458516457_thumb.jpg

post-12341-139458516491_thumb.jpg

post-12341-139458516516_thumb.jpg

post-12341-139458516522_thumb.jpg

post-12341-139458516523_thumb.jpg

post-12341-139458516523_thumb.jpg

Edited by puma52

post-33049-139458516542_thumb.jpgthe green bottle was done the way I do mine and then added to the rest of the melt. but seeing how nice pumas are I may just try that and see if I can get the same shine with a lot less hassle thanks for the advice hun. It is so nice that everyone here is so kind and willing to share. I have been at other places where the people were cut throat and vindictive. and will to stab you in the back. you are such great people.

Thanks so much for the pictures and yes, just beautiful. I love glitter too, but I'm finding out it sure isn't cheap!! I will give what you said a try.

Jackie

Hey Jackie,

My smaller floating candles are the exact same tart mold you probably use for your tart making. What I do is pour the wax in the metal tart mold and when the top has JUST gotten a film all across the top on it (can see absolutely no melted wax liquid at all) , that's when I sprinkle my glitter across the top. When I make my tarts in the rubber molds, I just sprinkle the glitter into the mold and pour wax at cooler temp. (keep in mind that the rubber mold is cool anyhow, so your wax will solidify pretty quickly). :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26916[/ATTACH]the green bottle was done the way I do mine and then added to the rest of the melt. but seeing how nice pumas are I may just try that and see if I can get the same shine with a lot less hassle thanks for the advice hun. It is so nice that everyone here is so kind and willing to share. I have been at other places where the people were cut throat and vindictive. and will to stab you in the back. you are such great people.

Bumblebeebabe,

I think your melt looks GREAT! :) If I was doing a 4 color pour for a melt like you did (by the way...AWESOME job!) and wanted glitter on it , I would have done EXACTLY what you did. Love how yours turned out! :)

Edited by puma52

Thanks puma. :) I love trying new things. I really like yours. I think they turned out great. I over complicate things sometimes Lol. I will be trying a lower temp poured opposed to using the pipette and see how that works.

You truly have got it down pat Bumblebeebabe. Do you have any of the rubber molds like the brownie bites, snowballs, gingerbread men etc?

Thanks so much for the pictures and yes, just beautiful. I love glitter too, but I'm finding out it sure isn't cheap!! I will give what you said a try.

Jackie

Yes, Jackie...you've got that right ...it feels like we are buying gold when we buy glitter . I get mine from RE. Love the stuff! Makes our product just shine! :)

yes puma I do. I prefer silicone molds. I even made my own silicone mold scalloped tart. I just bought a metal one and made a tart then after it was nice and set i took it out and waited another day and then took silicone and the wax tart I made and then put the tart in the silicone and made several of them like this. I just hate metal or plastic molds I get horrible release.

• 2 years later...

Are there any glitters that should not be used in melts? I am going to try Rustic Escentuals shimmer dust glitter, maybe, since the site specifically says it can be used for wax and soy. Other vendors have cosmetic grade glitter but don't mention wax. I've emailed a few to ask but often don't get a reply or a definitive reply since soap is their main area of expertise. Can I assume that "cosmetic grade glitter" is also fine for wax? Thanks for any help!