Vanilla Stabilizer and Bubble Bars / Bath Salts

Michdj

Been doing much research on making sure my bubble bars and bath salts don't turn that lovely shade of brown, as many of my favorite scents are vanillin-heavy. Most posts on the board have a lot of questions but not a lot of answers. Has anyone successfully used a vanilla stabilizer for bubble bars? Bath salts? If so, can you recommend what works for you? I've read the descriptions of WSP, NG, BB etc and they all state they are for soaps or hydrous products. Obviously the bubble bars and salts are anhydrous. Thanks so much!

I'm sitting here kneading my first batch of Silky Suds with Peak's Paris Twilight into a beautiful pink color... all the while knowing my batch will brown tomorrow because no one will help! :( Anybody out there use a vanilla stabilizer in their bath/body? I was looking at the one at WSP for lotion. NG's failed my citric acid/baking soda test tonight... instant bubbles. Unless it doesn't start the reaction if you don't use too much...? Anyone?

• 5 months later...

Ok if people use it in washes and lotions, why couldn't you try a little in bath bombs and see if it works? I haven't tried it. Instead I just try to go away from the fragrances that go brown. Like I wish I would do pink sugar in a bomb, but having a brown bomb and pink in the name doesn't work. I can't very well call it sweet s***

• Like 1

Yeah I know how it goes. The first year we were doing them I was gung ho and tried out a bunch of fragrances and I think dang near everything turned into that sweet s*** look. 

You could probably try some TD, but honestly you might have to watch the percentages on this one and it might take a bunch to get rid of some of the darkies. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had my bath bombs turn brown.  My bath salts haven't turned brown either but I'm not sure I've tested one with a scent with vanilla in it.

My first batch of bubble bars turned brown.  I threw them away thinking it was mold.  Then I realized what a waste it was and it had just turned brown because of vanilla.    I recently made a 2nd batch and used vanilla stabilizer.  I used one the other day and it had a little brown on it but definitely not as much as my first batch.  I'm still perfecting my recipe as they take forever to dry out with the one I'm using.

• 4 weeks later...

I have used vanilla fragrances in bubble bars and yes they go a very ugly shade of brown.  I actually had a customer say that the bubble bars remind her of road apples!!  I love my vanilla fragrances but I just dont use them anymore for bubblebars because while i dont mind the stabalizer in soap...I dont want to be soaking in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was searching the net for the same answer and I found this lady http://www.shoprachelrene.com/discontinued-sale-bourbon-vanilla-bubble-bars-vegan/

She sells hers (well it looks like she is discontinuing ALL of her bubble bars not just this one), anyhow, she sells her with photos showing that her vanilla scents turn brown.  As a customer, if I saw that and liked the scent and new AHEAD of time, I don't think it would bother me.  Thoughts?  I have a delicious scent in all my other products that turns my bars brown but it's always requested.  The few people I have sold it to don't mind, and I had put a sticker on the back of the packaging that said "Why is my Bubble Bar Brown?" with an explanation about vanillin.

Not sure what ya'll think about that but I'd LOVE a stabilizer that works in the bars too!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...