The Candle Source wax update....

LeahRB

I wanted to pass some info along to anyone who maybe has some candle source wax left around and has given up on it. It is working wonderfully for me mixed with ecosoya pb at a 1:1 ratio. I just hated to waste the rest of the wax I had so I started experimenting with it. The throw is really good and lasting and I have tested quite a few scents. It also produced a rocking candle in a mason jar with a zinc wick. I just thought I'd share. I just hate to waste wax.

Nooooooo, don't want to read that! *faint*

TCS wax was my love! Best HT, long lasting tarts. Made some great container candles and smashing tarts with it. And then.... well, you know my sad story (sniff, sniff, sob, sob).

Ok, Leah, against better judgment I must ask, is TCS wax you received in pellets, slab, or granules? It is the one advertised as "Tart blend pellets"?

TIA :smiley2:

Yep, it's the tart blend. It's some of the same batch I purchased a while back. It made ugly, bumpy melts when used as a stand alone. Whenever I mixed it with pb, it made a very smooth and pretty melt.

As for longitivity, it meets my approval so far. I start testing in the early morning and most lasted all day and into the next, with the exception of Fruit Loops. I turn off at night when I go to bed and restart the next day.

I am in no way telling anyone to go and buy this wax, I just wanted to share in case anyone had some of this wax just sitting around wasting. I still have more testing I would like to do.

As for the candle, I only made one but it was a good one. I tested Aztec's Bday cake and it is wonderful. When I poured the candle it really make a sink hole, but I just remelted the top.

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone!

Kind of a newbie here but not to candle making, mostly wickless. I have seen many posts about The Candle Source tart wax and thought I would put in my 2 cents worth since this is the wax I have used for my tarts for almost a year and I love it. I do mix it with a little soy because I like a creamy looking tart. The hot and cold throw is the best I have found and I have tried many different blends. I have added a picture of the last batch of wax I received in Dec, the pellets are all different shapes and sizes. Hopes this helps with the confusion about this wax.

Blessings,post-34428-139458518093_thumb.jpg

Gloria

Edited by Gloria Dawson

Thanks for posting the picture, Gloria. May I ask which TCS wax blend you ordered? Is it the one that reads, "Tart blend to make tarts or scent trays" (below the picture on their website)? Or is it the Votive/Pillar wax (there is no picture of this wax on The Candle Source website).

TIA :-)

I was sent a sample from a sweet lady here. I liked the wax and it performed well for me. What she sent me was flat like the pic you attached yet they were teardrop shaped. They looked like daisy petals.

I think the issue that some here had is that it was a different format seemingly from shipment to shipment. I think most used it in slab form and then it arrived sometimes as petals and sometimes the irregular shapes as you received. Those that had used it for years noticed a marked difference in throw and performance even though the company indicated no change except format.

I might have tried it further but I am committed to not ever using a wax that is proprietary to one supplier. Not only do I truly have no idea of what is in it (additives and such) I would have no back up should they discontinue it or close their business. The little petals sure made things easy. With the waxes I use I bust up slabs and blend that wax with creamy wax that I keep in 5 gallon buckets. Messy and not as simple as scooping and weighing!

Your products are wonderful! Your baked good melts look so real and your soaps are simply stunning! I kept having to look at the lemon bars and cookies. Nicely done!

Gloria, the wax I used and loved, a lot, was in slab form. Then I received it in shredded form, similar to the picture you posted, and it just did not perform like the old one for me (the one in slab). I was very, very upset! Loren assured me it was the same wax, just different format, but basically I didn't buy it.

To be perfectly honest, I am seriously considering buying 10 lbs. of it and start testing again although, as Justajesuschick mentioned, it does make me a bit nervous to stick to a proprietary wax and risk another "formula change", lol. That wax was absolutely GREAT - I miss it :-(

Thanks Karen! I know what you mean about only one supplier having this wax. I do have my trusty backup recipe which is messy too but throws just as well. The reason I switched was I was trying to make my life a little less messy LOL!

I have enjoyed reading alot of your posts......and I love your avatar! From one Jesus chick to another!

Ravens like I was telling JustaJesuschick I have my trusty messy backup recipe which throws just as well. After reading all the posts I worry about what my next shipment will be like. The two waxes I used before TCS are always available from many suppliers even though it is quite messy! Have enjoyed reading all your posts too! You two ladies really know your waxes!

Gloria

You must be referring to the 4627; never had much luck with it and it is too messy for me. Ok, so perhaps it is that I am

the messy one, lol.

Would appreciate reading about your next shipment of TCS wax, if it still works for you, that is. Yep, itching to give it another go. I'm just a sucker for punishment!

Ravens like I was telling JustaJesuschick I have my trusty messy backup recipe which throws just as well. After reading all the posts I worry about what my next shipment will be like. The two waxes I used before TCS are always available from many suppliers even though it is quite messy! Have enjoyed reading all your posts too! You two ladies really know your waxes!

Gloria

I still like it mixed with the pb. I need to find a wax(or waxes) for my melts that I can get from more than just one supplier. I have still been playing with the TCS wax in containers. It throws wonderful and works great in a 8oz mason with htp wicks. It does pull away from the sides a bit, but I expected that. Too bad only one place offers this wax.

That too was my experience with the TCS wax in containers; it sure had great throw - still does, huh?

Hmmm, this may require some "action" on my part, don't you think, lol ?

I still like it mixed with the pb. I need to find a wax(or waxes) for my melts that I can get from more than just one supplier. I have still been playing with the TCS wax in containers. It throws wonderful and works great in a 8oz mason with htp wicks. It does pull away from the sides a bit, but I expected that. Too bad only one place offers this wax.

That too was my experience with the TCS wax in containers; it sure had great throw - still does, huh?

Hmmm, this may require some "action" on my part, don't you think, lol ?

Lol! I don't like being an enabler, but I think it's a requirement for being a member of this forum.

Yep, the wax rocks in a container. In fact, I've tried a lot and I mean a lot of waxes and it rivals the best of them for ht. It is more work, requiring repours and such. Again, just wish it was available at other suppliers, too.

NOOOOOOO!!!! Just when I thought I had finally made a decision on which wax I was going to use! LOL!

Now I'm wanting to try TCS wax again.

LeahRB, which wax do you use for containers? I've only used the tart wax they have in pellet form.

It's the tart wax that I'm using in containers.

It pulls away from the sides a bit and you'll have a major sink hole, but it's nothing a 2nd pour or a whole lot of heat gun won't fix. Lol.

Even as much as I'm enjoying the ht, I doubt I order it again for the above reasons. :-(

You guys are worse than me!! haha!

As much as I'd like wax that is pourable, the 2 waxes I use just keep being chosen by all of my testers so I am sticking with them. Until you chicks tempt me with testing something else! haha!

Gloria-the canoe in my avatar resides in my backyard!

Thanks, se2653. Will you be trying the wax? ;-)

You should all be well compensated with bonuses and lots of benefits, at the rate that I get tempted to try other waxes and fo's!! (love your puppy picture above, always makes me smile!)

I haven't ordered from this supplier yet- so I'm probably due! :) It's on my list- have to spread out my spending, but will likely try it in the next few months! (now, the question will be if I ask what fo's are must haves from them as well, dare I ask that too?)

Yep, that's the wax I used for both tarts and containers, and it sure made some great smelling tarts and candles! I remember ordering their container blend but it was awful.

Belinda, we're only trying to help you, hehehehe!

Thanks for the help Ravens! But I think the kind of help we all need is some kind of support group or counseling LOL! Or at least someone to take over my pay pal account and credit cards!