Market for melt and pour

kforbs126

I actually have two rice cookers. One with an alluminum insert and the other with the teflon coating. Both are great for M&P but the alluminum one is better.

The teflon can and does flake off if you end up scratching it or scraping it so you want to be careful using it. Don't overheat your base and be extra careful mixing to you don't scrap the bottom.

After a while my teflon coated rice cooker just got too flaky for making M&P. But they are cheap enough to replace and work great until they do flake.

Like Talltayl I wish there was just some way to sandblast the coating off and be done with it!

• 1 month later...

Do CP and HP soapers still look down their noses are those of us who do MP?  I know that has been my experience in the past and wondered if it is still happening.

I've actually had them tell my customers at craft shows - Her soap is Melt and Pour it's not handmade, mine is CP or MP which is all handmade.  I've never hidden the fact that mine is MP on the other hand I do consider it handmade.  I am the one melting it, adding oils, scents and herbs.

I am afraid of Lye and that's the main reason I don't do either CP or MP.

This Hot Process soap maker would NEVER look down my nose at anyone that makes M&P soaps...never...never...never! :)   I also love making Melt and Pour soaps! They are a quick fix for me :) and I use them in the shower as much as my Hot Process soaps.  :) 

There are things that I can do with M&P that I cannot do with Hot Process. I absolutely love making both! :)

• Like 1

I'm with you Puma... I do know some CP and HP "snobs" that think and vocalize loudly how M&P isn't "real" soap... 

I really really beg to differ!! It IS real soap!! It started out just like CP & HP, in a pot with someone (or a manufacture - who cares) adding all the ingredients - including NaOH, and producing a reusable meltable substance called M&P. 

And what some of the people who work with M&P can do???? Pure amazing talent!!! 

I can literally melt it and pour it (color & scent also) and that's about it... Which is why I only use it for embeds. 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

There are snobs and bullies in every corner of the crafting world... Sad, insecure people who have to put someone or something down to feel better about themselves. You can respond with something like "My customers come back time and time again because they love my (whatever you make)." Smile broadly, then just turn your back and ignore him/her. If she is misinforming your customers, ask her to leave your booth. If she was so busy selling her own product, why is she in your booth?

Don't internalize what people say about you. It's just their opinion.

Edited by OldGlory

• 3 years later...
On 9/25/2013 at 7:49 AM, Candybee said:

Thanks guys! I started that recipe thread because I remember when I first started using M&P and had no idea where to begin. I learned so much here I wanted to pay it forward in a way that would help out those new to M&P.

If you really get into M&P and start selling a lot invest in a good rice cooker. I got an 8lb cooker to melt my bases in. I would put all my additives into the pot and heat them all up together. Then all I had to do was pour the soap into molds. You can make a ton of soap in a day that way by refilling it.

Good luck!

That is so sweet for you to pay it forward! I have been doing candles but And made a few soaps recently but want to really get creative I know there is a market and I love candles and soap and making them is so soothing I am off to look at your recipes I too have questioned wether cp soap or mp is where I will end up or both thanks again!

On 1/31/2015 at 9:10 PM, puma52 said:

This Hot Process soap maker would NEVER look down my nose at anyone that makes M&P soaps...never...never...never! :)   I also love making Melt and Pour soaps! They are a quick fix for me :) and I use them in the shower as much as my Hot Process soaps.  :) 

There are things that I can do with M&P that I cannot do with Hot Process. I absolutely love making both! :)

I have books on cp and I have tried and love me. It I know nothing about hp and what the difference is I need to look that up!