Market for melt and pour

kforbs126

So down the road I plan to try my hand at soap. Figured I'd try M&P first. I'm just curious if m&p soap is marketable compared to CP/HP. I know it's a great place to start but I know zero about soap and I've done some research but I figured I'd ask the experts first.

Its definitely marketable. Sold it for 6 yrs before I switched to CP. I say soap in general is a good seller as long as its made well. M&P is a good place to start. You can learn about the different bases, make your own recipes, try out different additives. Also learn about the properties of different oils and butters and what they add to your soap. These are good things to know when you start learning CP.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I started that recipe thread because I remember when I first started using M&P and had no idea where to begin. I learned so much here I wanted to pay it forward in a way that would help out those new to M&P.

If you really get into M&P and start selling a lot invest in a good rice cooker. I got an 8lb cooker to melt my bases in. I would put all my additives into the pot and heat them all up together. Then all I had to do was pour the soap into molds. You can make a ton of soap in a day that way by refilling it.

Good luck!

Thanks guys! I started that recipe thread because I remember when I first started using M&P and had no idea where to begin. I learned so much here I wanted to pay it forward in a way that would help out those new to M&P.

If you really get into M&P and start selling a lot invest in a good rice cooker. I got an 8lb cooker to melt my bases in. I would put all my additives into the pot and heat them all up together. Then all I had to do was pour the soap into molds. You can make a ton of soap in a day that way by refilling it.

Good luck!

Hey Candy have you tried nature's garden m&p bases? I've read through a lot of your thread for recipes. So amazing :)

I sell the all natural Goat's Milk soap base from Nature's Garden and the feedback I get from customers is that they love it and are buying more of it. I get asked if there is lye in it or if it's made with soy, but I think most customers who buy MP soap, don't care if it's MP base as long as it doesn't irritate their skin. I think there are many out there who don't know the difference and don't think there is CP and MP soap. The all natural Goat's Milk soap has been selling very well for me.

Yup... definitely a market. I only pour M&P and it's a great seller for me. Not looking to get into the CP/HP. I've learned to swirl layer, suspend ground up oatmeal and coffee grounds in it. I don't think I've ever had someone ask if it's MP, HP or CP.... I use SFIC bases.. Have many customers with eczema type symptoms that love my soaps as they aren't irritating to the skin.

Yup... definitely a market. I only pour M&P and it's a great seller for me. Not looking to get into the CP/HP. I've learned to swirl layer, suspend ground up oatmeal and coffee grounds in it. I don't think I've ever had someone ask if it's MP, HP or CP.... I use SFIC bases.. Have many customers with eczema type symptoms that love my soaps as they aren't irritating to the skin.

yep, it takes a while to get the swing of things like suspending and swirling (I'm still trying on swirling) but I've never had anyone ask either. I too use SFIC bases.

• 2 months later...

It's so funny I started with CP and ended up doing HP and MP which I like better personally than CP. There is a market for both as long as your putting out a good product with great customer service. Most people will go to the store and buy whatever "soap" because it's cheap so you really have to convince most that your 6 dollar plus shipping soap is worth it, this is where the put out good soap comes in whether it's CP/HP or MP. Make your soap special. It takes a good long while to build a customer base especially online so be prepared to spend a lot of money to get started at first and you reap the rewards later. Soap is definitely not a get rich quick or even make money really quick sort of business.

Good luck and have fun!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I recently tried the Nature's Garden Shea Butter base and didn't like it at all. It took forever to melt then set up too quickly. By the time I was pouring my third soap it was clumping in the measuring cup and made the finished soap lumpy and unappealing. I have used SFIC brand for 10 years but was placing an FO order with Nature's Garden, so I thought I'd try their base. I'm glad I only bought one 2lb slab to play around with. The base was cheap and the finished bars were nice and solid, but that's about the only positive things, imo.

• 4 months later...

Do CP and HP soapers still look down their noses are those of us who do MP?  I know that has been my experience in the past and wondered if it is still happening.

I've actually had them tell my customers at craft shows - Her soap is Melt and Pour it's not handmade, mine is CP or MP which is all handmade.  I've never hidden the fact that mine is MP on the other hand I do consider it handmade.  I am the one melting it, adding oils, scents and herbs.

I am afraid of Lye and that's the main reason I don't do either CP or MP.

I do HP, CP and M&P. I know soap makers who are snobs and consider M&P below them, but I love soap in all it's incarnations. I will say that when I see a very basic M&P being touted as handmade it sort of "grinds my gears". I prefer the term "handcrafted", but that's just me.

M&P vs CP is one of those arguments that I'm afraid will never go away as long as both are around.

I think the best advice I can give since I have done both for many years is to say be honest about your soapmaking and make the best soap that you can. Then you can be proud of your soap and it will show. Remember that you chose M&P for a reason and that reason is valid to you. If you have a well made product you should be proud and not worry about the other soaper.

The soaper that bragged about her CP soap is one thing but to dis another soaper because hers is made from M&P base is just bad business, unprofessional, and just plain tacky. It makes her look bad and a bit creepy to badmouth another soaper. Customers are smart enough to pick up on that. I don't do it and don't think much of soapers or other crafters that do. On the other hand, if you know for a fact that another crafter or soaper at a craft show or market is badmouthing your products you should tell the show organizer about it. Most won't tolerate that crap and the badmouther could be ejected from the show or not invited back.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

It's so funny I started with CP and ended up doing HP and MP which I like better personally than CP.

I could not agree more. I still do CP and find that all soaps sell if the customer likes it.

On another note, there is an abundance of CP snobs- at markets, in online shops, and on message boards. I think there are more CP snobs  than HP soapers, both both snobs exist. Just blow off what they say. I have found that people who look down on others generally have their own insecurity issues. Most of these people just look like pompous a$ses and are best ignored. I think that great soap is great soap no matter what kind it is. It is how the soap is made and marketed that matters in my opinion and this is what determines its quality. I enjoy making all kinds of soaps and think that every soap has its place in this world.

Edited by Noodle
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

"If you really get into M&P and start selling a lot invest in a good rice cooker. I got an 8lb cooker to melt my bases in. I would put all my additives into the pot and heat them all up together. Then all I had to do was pour the soap into molds. You can make a ton of soap in a day that way by refilling it"

Candybee, would a Presto pot work as well as a rice cooker? If not, what is the difference? Do you use the rice cooker with the lid on?

Edited by HorsescentS

Never used a presto pot so I can't make any comparisons.

Yes I used the lid on the rice cooker. Mine had several settings. I would first use the rice cooking setting, watch it carefully until my base melted, then switch it over to the warm setting to keep it warmed while I worked with it.  My last rice cooker was an Aroma brand rice cooker that could hold 8 cups. Got it at Walmart.

I do M&P and primarily melt in a microwave, but I have a couple Presto's that I "dedicated" to soap when making large batches. 

I keep the setting low so the base just melts and achieves a maximum temperature of less than 140F. I use the lid to keep the moisture (water) level balanced, but stir regularly. I use a nylon spoon. A heat resistant silicone  spatula would also work.

I have about a dozen Presto's, but never any issues with their Teflon coatings as I read others on the board have. (JMO/HTH)

Dave

I had trouble with my first teflon presto after making soapy things and syndets. Teflon is weakened by sodium (soap is sodium salt as are all the surfactants i was melting in mine). I really want to blast that coating on out of the pot. Whatta pain. If only they would bring back a stainless version in a good size.