Let's Talk Hemp Oil

Candybee

I wanted to give it a try and see if I like it. I know it has a short shelf life but there are ways to extend that.

Anyway, I was hoping those of you who use hemp oil could enlighten me why you use it and what you like about it? I remember reading somewhere that hemp seed oil absorbs easily into the skin.

I've used hemp M&P base but never the oil. I absolutely fell in love with the M&P base and loved the rich pale olive green color it imparted in the soap. I used to make my olive blossom soaps with hemp M&P bases.

• 2 weeks later...

Still hoping someone who uses hemp will chime in.

I have been searching suppliers that sell it and not finding it at a price or a quantity big enough I am happy with. I will keep checking. I hope I can find it in sizes larger than 1 lb at a reasonable price-- or even 1 lb at a reasonable price. I think any I use in my recipes I would want at 5-10% of my oils.

Candy hemp oil is wonderful, but every time I've ever used it in soap I got DOS. :cry2: Even putting an antioxidant in it beforehand didn't work. It has such a short shelf life and nothing I tried made it last longer than 8 months without getting DOS. I love my hemp milk though!! :cool2:

I think i picked up hemp oil from TSW. Like Chris, the DOS and other rancid stink after a couple of months was just not worth it. Plus, what properties really come through saponificaiton anyway.

I used Hemp in lotion and it got really stinky in a few months. Felt great at first, but not so much a couple months in.

I know it has a short shelf life but I was prompted to find out more about it when I had a discussion from one of my customers. He had just bought some soap that had hemp oil in it. So it got me wondering if there are soapers out there who have learned to use it successfully.

Dr. Bronners soap has hemp oil in it and who knows how long some of those soaps sit on the shelf. I know he uses it in liquid soap. It says so on the label. I've used his 'castile' with hemp oil in it and its very nice and lasted for months.

Candy hemp oil is wonderful, but every time I've ever used it in soap I got DOS. :cry2: Even putting an antioxidant in it beforehand didn't work. It has such a short shelf life and nothing I tried made it last longer than 8 months without getting DOS. I love my hemp milk though!! :cool2:

I use hemp oil in a Beer soap and it is a soap I have never had DOS, other soaps yes. I only make it 5 lbs at a time so it does not sit around to long although I have actually had some last almost a year. I do add in ROE and do a low superfat 3% so maybe that makes the difference. I love hemp in solid lotion but make small batches and yes it can go rancid. I purchase the unrefined hemp oil from Soapers Choice. They do have refined

Edited by cmzaha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Just now reading this cuz I'm new, but can't you put a persertive in the soap so that it will not spoil and get stinky? I know that the manufacturer recumends putting the oil in the freezer to extend the life.

Noodlehead

Thats what the ROE mentioned in the above post is.

You can extend the shelf life of the raw oil a bit by storing it in the freezer. The freezer, though, does not put it into a state of suspended animation, it just slightly delays the inevitable.

Hemp oil is very fragile and once out of that freezer and in a product it oxidizes rapidly. Some people swear by rosemary oleoresin and vitamin E to extend shelf life, though those too only slightly delay oxidation. If too much is used it accelerates oxidation even in the original bottle.

What we don't know about Bronners is how much hemp is in there. Is it a drop for label appeal or a meaningful %?

For soap, keeping the linoleic and linolenic acid % total to less than 15% is a decent guideline for holding DOS at bay for a while.

• Like 1

I just saw a YouTube video with Sarah Milroy - she used hemp oil in a soap in this video. The oil itself was this gorgeous green color. I wonder if it retains any of that color like OO sometimes will? I wouldn't think much if any, but don't know. I couldn't tell in her soap because she used TD for the white portion and green for the swirl portion and it was mainly green. 

Just another thought but maybe when the oil goes through saponification it undergoes some process? That sound dumb or what? Oh well as I said it was, just a thought.

Noodlehead

Yes, it does go through a chemical change during saponification. The hydrogen bonds of the oils are chemically separated by the alkali (lye or potash depending on the kind of soap). You're left with a sodium salt, water and glycols.

Since we all superfat for bath soap, some of that oil is left over intact, though, and will have a distinctive smell as it oxidizes. If you have ever smelled an old bottle of salad oil your nose will never forget.

post-7851-0-04499100-1412342516_thumb.jp