Bay Rum

ksranch

I want to try Bay Rum and from research here on the board it seems SGS & MW are most recommended. However, SGS doesn't seem to have it, and MW is $30 a pound - kinda steep especially since I don't get anything else from them to ship along with it. Anyone use a good Bay Rum from another supplier you can recommend? TIA

I gotta tell you that MW's is worth every penny. Its called Dark Knight.

I have noticed that everytime I get on SGS they are always out of one FO or another that is a top seller for me. Lately I have been trying replacements. Bay Rum and OMH always seem to be OOS.

I tried MW Dark Knight and hated it. It smells like eugenol to me and reminds me of toothache medicine. My favorite is WSP but they are way too expensive and the one from NG smells nothing like Bay Rum to me, pretty weak.

I've got about 4oz of Dark Knight and 12 bars of soap made with it that I'll give to someone if they will pay shipping. I just need it out of my way.

I have noticed that everytime I get on SGS they are always out of one FO or another that is a top seller for me. Lately I have been trying replacements. Bay Rum and OMH always seem to be OOS.

You have to use Pure Fragrance Oil http://purefragranceoils.com/ SGS split, I think, last year and caters more to bulk ordering now. The ones listed out of stock on SGS are available at Pure.

Thanks Chris. I didn't want to use them because they are their West Coast retailer. They did have Sassy Scents for a while but when that closed I went back to SGS.

Anyway, I just ordered some Bay Rum EO from soapmakingresource.com. I use it for CP soap so I just may start using the EO if I like it instead.

I also just ordered Soapalooza's OMH to try (and a few other oils of course!) to try. They are for CP soap so not sure if anyone wants a soap review on these but will be glad to do so if requested.

Bay Rum is supposed to appeal to guys. I just noticed that I'm a guy. :yes:

When I sampled what BCN called Bay Rum I was very unimpressed (FWIW). I remember Bay Rum from my childhood and even though that was over a half-century ago BC's had little in common with it.

JMO/HTH

Dave

Edited by emilyspoppy
Spell-Check is more stupid than me!

I just got my EO order in. The Bay oil (bay rum) EO I just ordered reminds me of MW's Dark Knight so I know it has real bay rum oil in it. MW Dark Knoght soaps beautifully for me and the scent comes out really nice and STICKS!! that's why I love it. I blend it with SGS Burberry so its extra spicy.

Bay Rum is supposed to appeal to guys. I just noticed that I'm a guy. :yes:

When I sampled what BCN called Bay Rum I was very unimpressed (FWIW). I remember Bay Rum from my childhood and even though that was over a half-century ago BC's had little in common with it.

JMO/HTH

Dave

I wonder if the bay rum you remember from your childhood wasn't a blend? The traditional shave and a haircut bay rum aftershave is a blend of bay rum with some amber and musk in there somewhere.

Could be, Candy, could be!

I recall the barber, "Joe", used a "booster seat". I also remember he gave me a lollipop at the end of the "ordeal". It was my favorite flavor, orange!

My brother recently sent me a newspaper clipping from the "News Journal" of Wilmington, Delaware, which featured "Joe's Barbershop" of Fairfax, Delaware.

At 85 years of age, Joe was retiring. His "baby" brother, George, was going to carry-on the business. George is a young eighty year old. He's still cutting my "baby" brother's and son's hair.

Joe gave me my very first professional haircut. I recall the experience like it was just last week. I also remember when "Kid George" began his career. I have fond memories of the brothers chatting like magpies as hair fell to the floor.

The essence of Lilac Talcum from a white tin shaker can intermingled with the fragrances of "Hop-a-long Cassidy Hair Tonic" from a tall-necked glass bottle and, what time revealed, was "Bay Rum" aftershave still lingers like a friendly, but haunting ghost in the scent receptors of my aging brain.

I began a search for that aroma when I began my venture into the world of B&B products. I sampled AH/RE's "1920's Barbershop", but settled on NG's "Bay Rum".

BTW;

My dad was quite disappointed when Joe's dad, also a barber, retired.

Joe, Sr. gave my father his first barbershop haircut. Except during his six year's of military duty during WWII, he never went anywhere else until he was forced by circumstances to go to his son's shop.

Joe, Jr. gave my father his last haircut since his dad took a "premature" retirement about the age of 90! It would be a dozen years or so later before "Senior" finally "closed shop" and took his eternal rest.

Sorry for the hi-jack. I waited until the thread appeared to have "retired", too.

Dave

ETA: http://www.superpages.com/bp/Wilmington-DE/Joes-Barber-Shop-L0093453615.htm

Edited by emilyspoppy
Added link for anyone who might be interested.

You just mentioned the FO I want to try soaping-- AH/RE's Barbershop 1920's.

The only experience I had in a barbershop was when my mom took me in to have the bubblegum my brother put in my hair cut out. LOL It was an interesting experience-- plus I was the only girl in there.

You just mentioned the FO I want to try soaping-- AH/RE's Barbershop 1920's.

The only experience I had in a barbershop was when my mom took me in to have the bubblegum my brother put in my hair cut out. LOL It was an interesting experience-- plus I was the only girl in there.

My guess is that anyone in that shop who is still alive remembers you're adventure to this very day!

I may just go ahead and put the sampler of "BS 20's" in some GM M&P and see what happens. Who knows . . . I may just have a "transcentdental" moment. It would make my day!

Dave

I have an entire 8oz bottle of NG Bay Rum that I have never used if anyone is interested. It just did not live up to WSP's for me so I never used it. I'm hoping to put up some FO's this weekend for .50 per oz on the classifieds that I don't use. It's time to thin the supply.

Candybee, I absolutely love BS 1920's from AH/RE. I make soap, shaving soap, body butter and shea body cream from it. No problems soaping with my recipe and it turns tan for me....see photo. It is my husbands favorite and a good seller for me. I also just made some cream soap, that has been rotting for over 2 months and it turned out great!!!

post-14020-139458512011_thumb.jpg

post-14020-139458512017_thumb.jpg

Oh thank you thank you!! I had asked in the CP section if anyone has soaped the Barbershop 1920's. Its good to know it works in CP. I have been working on perfecting my shaving soap recipes and trying out new FOs. When I saw the barbershop one I wanted to try it out.

BTW-- love the creamy foamy shaving lather you got!! And the soap looks pretty nice too!!

Kelly; I've never used any WSP FO's. I can only compare BR between NG & BCN. I too, appreciate the post. I may have to go shopping again. I only want the best fragrances available for my M&P soap and lotion line.

Candy; Can you make any recommendations for a good M&P shaving soap?

Dave

Dave

There is such a thing as a shaving soap M&P base. It used to be a staple base anywhere you saw M&P bases sold. Now you have to search for a supplier that still carries it. Sad because it had tons of lather and many M&P soapers bought the shaving base to add lather to their regular bases. I will look around and let you know if I find it.

Okay found a few places that still sell M&P shaving base:

Peaks

Brambleberry

The Chemistry Store

Bulk Apothecary

SFIC Corp (for purchasing in bulk quantities)

Edited by Candybee

Dave

There is such a thing as a shaving soap M&P base. It used to be a staple base anywhere you saw M&P bases sold. Now you have to search for a supplier that still carries it. Sad because it had tons of lather and many M&P soapers bought the shaving base to add lather to their regular bases. I will look around and let you know if I find it.

I know where to get it. I'm already working with and testing a bunch of bases, around ten. I'm getting very impressive lather from most of them. I've noticed that the shaving base is quite a bit more expensive than the bases I already have. I was wondering if there really was a significant difference. I've been personally shaving with my test soaps and am quite pleased. I'm getting very rich, firm and creamy lather. The more I "work" it the more it increases in volume and firmness. Very little water is required and it rinses off easily with no greasy or sticky after feel.

If you feel that another base that is more than twice the price of the ones I'm using will make a noticeably better soap, I'll add it to my ever-growing shopping list.

Thanks!

Dave

Edited by emilyspoppy
Spell-Check makes more mistakes than me.

Update on shaving soap;

It appears that I was wrong again.

The shaving melt and pour ranges from one and a half to about twice the price of the soap bases I have chosen to use. Some of the sources it can be found at;

http://www.brambleberry.com/Shaving-Melt-And-Pour-Base-P4384.aspx

http://www.bulkapothecary.com/soap-making/melt-and-pour-soap-bases/shaving-sfic-all-natural-glycerin-melt-and-pour-soap-base/

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/StoreCategory.aspx?CatalogID=1&GroupID=1&CategoryID=2380&CategoryName=Shave+Soap+Base

Dave

ETA; I just read the addition to Candy's post. I'm a firm believer of the three strikes and you're out ruling so I'm shutting down and heading back to bed! Geez! How did I forget to post a link to the Peak site? Sorry, Alan!

Edited by emilyspoppy
Delay in reading Candy's edit of her earlier post.

WSP is so expensive I regret I ever bought it!!! But it was my favorite!!! LOL I'm trying to justify buying it again but I haven't talked myself into it yet. :)

Thanks Candybee for the compliments on my soap. I normally just leave the BS 1920's uncolored, but wanted to try something different. It didn't turn out quite like I had planned but it's ok. I'll probably just go back to uncolored on the next batch. :)

Kelly

Kelly; I've never used any WSP FO's. I can only compare BR between NG & BCN. I too, appreciate the post. I may have to go shopping again. I only want the best fragrances available for my M&P soap and lotion line.

Candy; Can you make any recommendations for a good M&P shaving soap?

Dave

Anyone who is interested Soapalooza is having a prebuy on Gentleman's Bay Rum. If its half as good as her other FO's it's a gotta be very good! I've got a few of her oils and none have disappointed me. This one sounds divine:

Description:

Gentleman's Bay Rum is a bold and refreshing rendition of the popular vintage aftershave of our grandfather's era. Bay rum was originally first made in the West Indies, where it was prepared by boiling the leaves of the West Indian Bay (Pimenta racemosa) in white rum. Our Gentleman's Bay Rum is a true replication of Bay Rum essential oil, also known as Pimenta racemosa, while being rounded out with subtle notes of allspice berries, bay laurel, fresh eucalyptus, & bayberries.

Edited by Candybee