Wicking 12 oz Status Jar using 6006 Help Needed Please!

I have been trying for months to wick the 12 oz Status Jars from Peak. My wax is the 6006. I use 1 oz pp of FO I heat my wax in my presto pot to about 200. Add my dye and then add my fo when it cools down to 185. I mix my fo in for at least a minute then pour into heated jars. But the problem I am having is wicking. I have talked to Peak's customer service several times as well as a few other companies and everyone has told me a different wick.

So far I have tried the CD wicks all the way up to a CD 20, then Peak recommended their cotton core wicks. Bought a sampler of those; they didn't work. I have tried LX22 & 24, ECO 8 & 10 and Candle Science's recomended CSN-14 and the last ones were the HTP 93, 104, 105 and even the 126. These candles were poured over two weeks ago so I know they have had plenty of cure time. As far as scent throw the best I got was with the Eco wicks but the dancing a smoking flame was horrible.

I talked to Aztec and they recommended two more different wicks, they recommended either their paper wicks or their premier wicks. The only problem with them are they can't fit their sampler pack into the small USPS box because some of the wicks are 8" long so they would have to send them in a bigger box and shipping alone on the two packs was as much as the wicks themselves. I just placed a received a huge order from them that was delivered on Friday so I don't need anything else.

So before I sit on the floor and start bawling like my 2 year old grand daughter, does anyone please have some suggestions for me.

I have been trying for months to wick the 12 oz Status Jars from Peak. My wax is the 6006.

Eco 8-10 should be in the ballpark. Is that the jar from Peak called Prestige that looks just like a Status?

If so, I stopped using mine because they got too hot and created all kinds of wicking issues for me.

I have been trying for months to wick the 12 oz Status Jars from Peak. My wax is the 6006. I use 1 oz pp of FO I heat my wax in my presto pot to about 200. Add my dye and then add my fo when it cools down to 185. I mix my fo in for at least a minute then pour into heated jars. But the problem I am having is wicking. I have talked to Peak's customer service several times as well as a few other companies and everyone has told me a different wick.

So far I have tried the CD wicks all the way up to a CD 20, then Peak recommended their cotton core wicks. Bought a sampler of those; they didn't work. I have tried LX22 & 24, ECO 8 & 10 and Candle Science's recomended CSN-14 and the last ones were the HTP 93, 104, 105 and even the 126. These candles were poured over two weeks ago so I know they have had plenty of cure time. As far as scent throw the best I got was with the Eco wicks but the dancing a smoking flame was horrible.

I talked to Aztec and they recommended two more different wicks, they recommended either their paper wicks or their premier wicks. The only problem with them are they can't fit their sampler pack into the small USPS box because some of the wicks are 8" long so they would have to send them in a bigger box and shipping alone on the two packs was as much as the wicks themselves. I just placed a received a huge order from them that was delivered on Friday so I don't need anything else.

So before I sit on the floor and start bawling like my 2 year old grand daughter, does anyone please have some suggestions for me.

A chandler who had her own candle shop, and worked exclusively with 6006, usually wicked the Dollar Tree 12 oz status jar with a 60 zinc, or sometimes a 62 zinc. Her candles were very strong, but she used 2 oz of FO p.p. which is 12%, and there was a little bit of oil seepage on the top of a few of her candles, I'd say one out of 20. Oil seepage is not safe because it could overheat and cause a dangerous flare up. I had to use at least 9% FO load in my 6006 candles to get a good HT, and I couldn't smell anything at all with just 1 oz p.p. 6% FO load. Be sure and use FO's that are known to throw well in soy, because 6006 is aprox 30% soy. I use 4627 now and it throws the best for me with only 6% FO load, so every wax is different in terms of which FO load works the best. It's important to get a timer or a clock with a sweep second hand so you can stir very thoroughly for 2 full minutes. Let cure for a week before testing.

Edited by HorsescentS

Guest OldGlory

I buy almost all of my supplies from Aztec. I've been using 6006 for about 4 years. I use a zinc wick. What is the diameter of your jar?

I have found that I have to think like I will overwick my 6006 slightly, since zinc is typically best in paraffin and 6006 has about 30% soy. Aztec suggested other wicks to me also, but their zincs work best for me. AND - why can't they just curve those wicks a bit to fit in the smaller box???? Probably someone complained about it and now they are hesitant to make anyone else mad. But you could ask them to do it anyway.

I exclusively use 6006 for my scented containers. My main containers are jelly tars and tumblers with a 2 1/2 diameter and I'm now working on a 3 1/2 diameter tumbler. That said, the only wicking issues I have are finding the right size. I found success with LX Eco HTP and CD with 6006. I change them up depending on the fragrance/color combo.

First, I don't believe you should need to double wick a 3-inch diameter jar. Especially a deep one where it will get hot as it burns down. Second, how long are you burning these wicks (they all sound very large to me for that size jar) before you deem them "not working". Many times a wick looks like it will work in the beginning, and then as it burns down it ends up drowning, or the other way around.

In your post you listed so many different LARGE wicks, but exactly what was wrong with them? Mushrooms, drowning, too large a flame, soot, hang up etc.

For jelly jars I use the LX in the range of LX-10 to LX-18. I have not needed anything larger in the 100 fragrances I have trialed in the past 2-3 years. I have used HTP-62 to HTP-93 ECO 2 to 6 and CD 7 to 12. The overall finished product with the color/fragrance is what dictates the wick I finalize each scent with.

For the most part my system is simple. Heat to 190, add fragrance at 185, stir and cool to 160-165 and pour in room temp jars, set the wick and cool. Color is added in the pot before the liquid wax from another pot and then heated to the 190. My fragrance % ranges from 3%, with most being in the 6% range and some going up to the 10%.

I always cure a week, and I do have more successes than failures with scent throw. I have to weed through the ones that I like vs the ones that I don't like, or smell weird or cheap to me. I have found some scents do better with a longer cure, but as always those are the little things that come through the never ending madness of testing.

Sorry it took me a few days to get the pictures taken for you. I had to go to town and buy a new charger for my camera because mine suddenly dissappeared. The problem I am having is I am not getting a full melt pool. This is the Prestige Jar from Peaks. The jars diameter is 3", I used 1 oz pp of fo. The fragrance oil used was Peach Belini from Aztec, which in my tarts smells amazing. I was test burning them again last night in my kitchen while working and every once is a while I caught of wiff of it, but granted, my nose is like the worst one because of my allergies. I am test burning 1 hour per inch of candle jar size plus I know last night it went longer because I got busy and forgot to blow it out.

The jar on the left has an HTP 126 in it and the jar on the Right has a CD 20. Reading through other posts, it was recommended to add about 15% Ezsoy to make them burn better. Should I do that or just break down and order some Zinc wicks. I have never used zinc wicks before but I would like to at least get some of these to burn right. I will not put a product out to my customers that I don't feel is the best it can be and the shop that requested this jar has been begging me to get this figured out. Any and all help is great appreciated.

<a  href=testburn1001.jpg' alt='testburn1001.jpg]'> Uploaded with ImageShack.us

testburn1001.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by countrygal3115
Picture didn't show up.

This is possibly a dumb question, but how short do you clip your wicks before lighting? Maybe it's just the pic, but they look very short. A huge wick can be made to work, if it's trimmed too short. If I trim to 1/4" as suggested it becomes a huge, flaming monster. HTP26 & CD20 are very large wicks for that jar.

From the pic it looks like you are in the bottom 1/2 of jar? Excluding the wax left on the sides.

Of course I haven't been able to wick that jar yet, so my thinking could be incorrect!:confused:

I think you are running into a conundrum with wick consumption. Your wicks seem to be consuming more wax faster than they can melt the whole diameter. When you see hang up like this, the first thing you think of is "Wow, I need a bigger wick to melt to the edge!" However, the bigger you wick, the faster it eats up the melt pool and it never quite gets to the edge because it has eaten the center and even though it is a big wick, it tunnels like a too small wick.

It's a great lesson on the melting point of waxes, and 6006 has a higher melting point than other container wax blends at 133*. You probably need to back down on your wicks.

Long ago, I made up 12-16 jars of plain wax, no color, no fragrance and put in various sizes of wicks and then put them all on my dining room table (labeled of course) and lit them up all at the same time. Every hour I would go back and see what was going on and make notes. After this mega-test I knew the starting point of HTP LX CD ECO wicks. Once you add color and fragrance things change, but I knew what size wick was my base wick based on the test. Each jar was burned for the exact same time for each burn and the same number of times. It was a major test, but it helped me get a working knowledge of how each type of wick works and what they look like when they are burning well, or not.

Personally I would melt those candles down and redo them with a LX 20 and a CD 12. Then retest, but be sure that you are burning a full 3-4 hour test. Your scent throw may be slightly diminished by melting them down, but you could see how the wicks do. My biggest fear with such a large wick, like a HTP 126 or a CD-20 is when it burns down into that tall jar it is going to really heat up.

I can't comment on any zinc wicks, I have never used them, but you could also use the advice above and try to double wick with 2 LX-10s. I am double wicking a straight sided jar that is just a little over 3 1/2-inches in diameter with great success.

Wick testing is a great lesson in patience. Good Luck. :highfive: