Fragrance Load for Melts

denetteb

Ok...so I have been reading the incredibly looooooong post on the general candle making board (the one titled "Emma Jar at Wallyworld"), and it has me interested in fragrance load. They are a couple of posts where they are discussing fragrance load and how newbies tend to thing that more FO equals stronger HT, but that that is not always the case, and that sometimes too much FO could inhibit the HT, and that it is best to test smaller amounts first (could yield better HT, and does not waste FO). Any who...I was wondering if this concept is the same for wax melts. I know that wicks play a part in HT, but for melts, do you think that too much FO would inhibit the HT? Or, is more FO better in terms of melts? I would love to hear your thoughts on this?

On a side note...I just LOVE the previously mentioned thread! It is like I am a fly on the while of these two lovely chandlers as they go throughout their testing journey! I am only half way through the entire thread, but I have learned so much already. I have yet to make my first candle, but I already feel more confident and excited to get in there and try!

Wicked candles & melts - 2 different worlds as you've read. Too much fo load in melts will most certainly throw....will make you want to throw up. Distorts the scent. Not to mention throwing your money out the window in waste. Some waxes can hold more of a percentage than others...soy/parasoy can usually hold a much higher percentage than paraffin. Doesn't mean that either is better. There are some other factors involved too. Bottom line, higher % doesn't always equal better smelling/throwing tart. Finding your perfect balance is the fun part.

Lol Wow! I'm so glad you're enjoying our thread, denetteb! We've been tearing our hair out trying to wick that 20 oz Emma jar, so it appears we're both taking a little breaky-poo. :laugh2:

Jackbenimble uses soy. When I was using 6006 parasoy I started at 6% but I had to go up to 9% to 10% FO load to get a good HT and it didn't distort the fragrance, but with 4627 paraffin I have to go with a low FO load or the scent is distorted and it ties up the HT, but I've been using good strong FO's so 6% is working great for me.

However, there are some soy and parasoy chandlers on here who say they get a great HT with only 6% FO load in their waxes. :P It's enough to drive ya nuts.

If you buy FO from Candle Cocoon, her FO's are formulated so that you have to use varying amounts that are less than 6% according to her instructions for each particular FO, so at least that takes the guesswork out of it.

I scoop lumps of my dud 6006 candles into my tart melter and they're really good at the higher FO load, but if I make paraffin melts I might get better HT and fragrance quality with a lower FO load, but since I haven't tried it yet, I'm not sure. Unfortunately, it takes so much experimentation to find what works for you. :cry2::cry2::cry2:

it takes so much experimentation to find what works for you. :cry2::cry2::cry2:

You know it. :-) Not exactly a clear-cut answer to this one. As you said, "It's enough to drive ya nuts." BTW, by distorting proportion, I was referring to going beyond the recommended fo load for the wax type. Then again, some scents don't even need to meet that % to make you want to heave...example Macintosh from CS...that's a powerful one. I always have to back off on that one even in a parasoy melt.

Edited by marcuset

You know it. :-) Not exactly a clear-cut answer to this one. As you said, "It's enough to drive ya nuts." BTW, by distorting proportion, I was referring to going beyond the recommended fo load for the wax type. Then again, some scents don't even need to meet that % to make you want to heave...example Macintosh from CS...that's a powerful one. I always have to back off on that one even in a parasoy melt.

I need to try that CS Macintosh! lol

It can drive you nuts-AGREE 100% with that!

I use quite a high percentage in my melts without issue. If I use too high a percentage I get FO residue in the bottom of my cups.

I have not tested FO percentages to the extent that I have tested waxes. I need to do that next now that my wax blend of choice appears to be in sight!

I use quite a high percentage in my melts without issue. If I use too high a percentage I get FO residue in the bottom of my cups.

I have not tested FO percentages to the extent that I have tested waxes. I need to do that next now that my wax blend of choice appears to be in sight!

Are you blending your own parasoy? or is it a paraffin blend?

I know where you're coming from...I use a higher % in mine as well. Only thing is that that FO leakage means $ wasted...even if your scent doesn't distort.

In my old melt blend, before testing about ten new blends, I'd put more FO in tarts than I would in candles. With candles too much FO can mess up the wicking.

But I've evolved in the concept of more FO percentage in melts because I don't want people to be blasted with overly strong scents walking into a room or someone walking into the house. To me, it is just too much of a good thing. I'm searching for an even, semi-strong HT for about 2 solid days and then dwindle into the 3rd day. Had it once but decided the grass might be greener. So far, it is not.

I am another who found the concentrated FOs like CC will totally change their scent if the percentage is too high. One I love is White Peony Tea. I did a candle using over the recommended amount and it was completely distorted to where it went from a beautiful scent to a disgusting scent.

I think scentsy mentioned that they put in 15% fragrance in their melts, it does seem a little high when compared to how much you all put in yours and yours are stronger in throw.

Wow! Yeah, that's pretty high. Wonder if they put additives in the wax to get it to hold that much. Since they started out in a home like most of the rest of us, I always think they must be using one of the waxes, or wax blends some of the rest of us are using, trying or passed up in testing. Unless they are so big now they have liquid IGI brought in.

I think they must add something to the wax, I noticed at the tops of some of the scentsy clamshells, you can see little beads of fragrance, I showed it to a friend and he said it could be oil from the wax, he said the bhg/scentsational is not oily so different waxes are used.

I would think igi ship them liquid wax or bulky bulk direct, when they sued scentsational part of the reason was because the scentsational owner wandered around the scentsy warehouse and saw how they blended their wax with additives. It could be a standard igi wax blended with vybar or UA.

The soy wax I use says it can hold 12% and CS website says that same wax can hold 2oz per pound of wax.

One of the reasons I did like working with 464 was because it would take a higher fragrance load for those scents that were too good to pass up yet a little on the weak side in a candle. Can't remember why but I went with 415 instead.

On the paraffin side, I think 4627 will take 12% also.

BH&G/Scentsational is a much harder wax. Scentsy is a rubbery wax (some here said plastic like). I mixed 4794 and 4627 (not to try and replicate their wax) and had something VERY close to Scentsy's consistency.

That is a good point, they both feel really different. I do like the way they both throw strongly.

I would think igi ship them liquid wax or bulky bulk direct, when they sued scentsational part of the reason was because the scentsational owner wandered around the scentsy warehouse and saw how they blended their wax with additives. It could be a standard igi wax blended with vybar or UA.

I did not know this about Scentsational being sued by Scentsy. I've never tried a Scentsy or Scentsational tart. I do have a couple Scentsational warmers and a Scentsy on the way. My plan this week is to get a Scentsy clamshell from eBay here so I know what the competition is, how long they last compared to mine, etc. That way I know for sure whether or not I can say mine last longer or are stronger.

I think scentsy mentioned that they put in 15% fragrance in their melts, it does seem a little high when compared to how much you all put in yours and yours are stronger in throw.

None of the Scentsy melts that I bought were strong, so they must be adding 15% of a very diluted FO to their wax.

My plan this week is to get a Scentsy clamshell from eBay here so I know what the competition is, how long they last compared to mine, etc. That way I know for sure whether or not I can say mine last longer or are stronger.

Can you go on Scentsy's site and find a local rep who can sell you one? I only suggest that because not only would it be quicker but you may not know the age of the melt if you get it from ebay (unless you get something from their latest line, I guess). I am able to call a rep near me and I can go that night and look at, select and take home a warmer. Back when I bought their wax I would get to sniff all of them and select the ones I wanted. I have to say that it was easy.

Your wax will be better, but you need to experience that yourself. I am surprised the people who sell will say things like, "people say that Scentsy...". I am not even selling and I know what is out there and did not take someone's word for it but tried it myself! That is also why I have tried 12 waxes. I do not want to go by what people say. I am stubborn and need to see or experience it for myself.