Coconut Wax Candles, supplys, info, etc...

Has anyone heard of using coconut wax to make candles with?

I was doing a search earlier for blended waxes and suppliers and came across

http://www.voluspa.com/

anyway, curiousity caused me to do some searching for coconut wax, suppliers, users, etc.

Really is not much out there.

http://www.swanscandles.com/store/index.html was the only supplier that popped up, quickly, showing they carried the coconut wax. $26.95 for 11 pound slab.

I am more curious than anything else since I have never heard of using coconut wax (i knew of oil but not wax) to make candles.

Thank you Beth.

I will order up a sample from them, I need something new to play with.

Though, I am concerned that there is not many suppliers for this and none on the East coast.

Maybe it is still "new" rather than a fad.

I'm just about done testing this wax, its has taken me awhile...lol but I love it, its a great wax.

The only place I know of getting it is Swans and Calcandlesupply, nothing on the east coast.

I just wanted to say that I checked out your website, I love your candle labeling. :)

Any secrets, tips, hints, etc on the coconut/apricot waxes would be appreciated.

I am going o call cal candle and accu blend tomorrow - maybe I can get them to let me be a distributor. Lol

Well Linda, I took a chance last week and ordered some coconut wax.

I did try to call Accu-Blend ~ very sad customer service... then I called the California Candle place, was a bit better but I got the feeling that I was interrupting something.

Anyway, hopefully my sample box will arrive soon.

I did find out that the Apricot wax is done by special order only, and 1 pallet at a time. No samples, nothing to buy to try... that's a leap of faith if I ever saw one.

I did try to find out what the percentage of the wax was coconut wax, but they would just tell me it is a blend of natural waxes.

Has anyone heard of using coconut wax to make candles with?

I was doing a search earlier for blended waxes and suppliers and came across

http://www.voluspa.com/

anyway, curiousity caused me to do some searching for coconut wax, suppliers, users, etc.

Really is not much out there.

http://www.swanscandles.com/store/index.html was the only supplier that popped up, quickly, showing they carried the coconut wax. $26.95 for 11 pound slab.

I am more curious than anything else since I have never heard of using coconut wax (i knew of oil but not wax) to make candles.

Did you read there tart discription They say they use 3 ozs of Fo to 1 lb of wax. That is crazy LOL

I still have some of this stuff

http://candlemakingsupplies.net/candle-wax/soy-wax---natural-candle-wax/cate_149/p___Z48CO000.html

I was told 3" container requires CD10 for that stuff

and the Swans slab I haven't messed with yet. I'd love to hear & see how yours come out once you ge the wax?! I've just had no time or desire to haul it up from the basement :cry2: lol

Well Linda, I took a chance last week and ordered some coconut wax.

I did try to call Accu-Blend ~ very sad customer service... then I called the California Candle place, was a bit better but I got the feeling that I was interrupting something.

Anyway, hopefully my sample box will arrive soon.

I did find out that the Apricot wax is done by special order only, and 1 pallet at a time. No samples, nothing to buy to try... that's a leap of faith if I ever saw one.

I did try to find out what the percentage of the wax was coconut wax, but they would just tell me it is a blend of natural waxes.

Back when I called them, they were one & the same. :) Same address; same phone #. Don't know if that's still the case or not.

Same address, two different phone numbers and they insist that you call the other number instead of just transferring you.

I guess it's all about keeping up the illusion for those that don't do their research.

On the accu blend website it I'd mention free samples. I was willing o pay shipping, and when I asked - and offered - I was told no. That it is a mistake and that the website has just never been updated. I'm not truly into bashing companies, but I would think that if a mop any no longer offers a product or service I would think their website would reflect properly. Especially when I was told they haven't offered free samples in years - so not something new which I Luke understand.

Oh well.... Wish my simple old show up :)

Omg & wow

I hate apples spell checker - that was a horrible post I did.

Well it arrived - I'm so glad they wrapped it in a bag. Very fragile, big chunks broken and such.

Which will be nice when I go to break it down more.

Thanks for the compliments Old Crab :o I never had much luck with the customer service either. I tried to get some of the Apricot wax also but they said they didn't even sell it anymore when I asked. Kind of frustrating because I would love to try blending it with the coconut.

There is a candle company in Southern California called The Blue Wick Candle co. They have a line of candles that uses a... "Proprietary all vegetable Apricot Wax"...so the conspiracy theory in my head says that they are probably the biggest buyer of the apricot wax in that area and perhaps they have become the main buyer at California Candle Supply. But that is just what I conjured up in my head, so who knows...lol

http://www.bluewick.com/our-apricot-wax/

Anyway let me know how you make out with the wax, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I was able to get a sample of the apricot when I got the coconut. As per my luck, I liked the apricot better, lol.

Sweet! Shame we can't get it anymore.

I wonder if we could talk Peaks into carrying it.

I would buy it - both the coconut & the Apricot waxes.

There are a couple of other suppliers that I can think of that would do well with these also.

Edited by Old Crab

Well, I poured 6 tumblers tonight of the coconut wax - it kind or reminds me a little of 6006.

I did 3 pure plain Jane, nothing added and 3 with lavender vanilla.

I did 3 of each because of wicks cd10, 12, & 14.

I heated to 200, cooled to 185, added color, added scent, and poured at 175 - obviously the plain I just poured at 175 :)

Anyway, they turned out very beautiful. Zero wet spots, a pretty creamy color.

I do have an issue at the wick area though, it looks like the wax cooled there first / faster and kinda chipped/cracked away from the rest of the candle. I am sure a heat gun would take care of that since it is cosmetic but i hate adding another step.

I wish I could figure out how to post a picture from my iPhone.

I wasn't sure how hot to pour, so I treated it like i treat 4627.

Accu blend says to pour around 200 I believe.

Should I have poured hotter than 175?

I will try to get the pics up tomorrow.

Did you see that I said ZERO wet spots.... :yay:

I wonder if that will be permanent or if it will eventually spot.

Edited by Old Crab

post-14793-139458509131_thumb.jpg

These are next day pictures.

I noticed that the Lavender has a discolored top - pretty weird, and I am wondering if it is from the bowtie... but the bowtie wasnt on the whole time.

Also, the white, natural, ones in the back you can almost see a small ring going around the wick - about a 1" diameter.

post-14793-139458509136_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well I started to test burn these yesterday.

The cd-10 wicks continuously drown out, doesn't matter if plain or scented.

The cd-12 did ok but no where close to reaching a melt pool, and even though I used 1oz pp and let them sit the hot through was very light compared to my parafin blends.

I will try the cd-14 tonight but I have a feeling I should have started with cd-16.

Oh well.