Why choose Soy?

I get this question all the rime at my craft shows. Peoplle come to my booth and say, "What makes your candles or What makes soy better than other candles?" I try to answer the best way I can without pertepuating the lies and myths that soy is better or cleaner than parrifin.

I am really stumped as to how to go about answering this question but at the same time answer the question truthfully and represent what my company is about and why I chose soy.

Is there anyone that can give some insite into how to answer this question without putting other waxes down?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no clue because while I've heard all the arguments from both sides, I've never used soy.. but IF I did, and was in the position you are in , I'd just say :

My customers asked for it ( or preferred it ) and I wanted to give them what they wanted

That way, you don't have to go into a long drawn out explanation that they probably wouldn't understand or believe anyway. Not saying people are dumb, but if they want you to get technical you could, but do you honestly want to have to run through that laundry list of reasons every single time?

You could go a few directions. The quality route, the renewable resource route or the business route.

Quality-Your candles are better than others because you test, test and test. You only offer high quality waxes and oils. You only make and sell product you would buy.

Soy-While Paraffin is also natural resource, soy is a renewable resource.

Or. You could speak to the business reasons why you chose soy. Perhaps you can share with them reasons such as richer/longer/more true fragrance or whatever the reason you chose soy. You will know what that is.

I was very surprised that at our art fair with 3,000 attendees, not a single person asked me about my wax. I had a nice article laminated prepared to share.

On my website I have the following:

I have never made paraffin but do plan to this winter

100% Pure Soy

There are many debates out there about soy vs. paraffin. Soy candle makers will try and market on the “idea” that paraffin is bad for you to burn, releasing toxins in the air and claiming that soy will burn longer and cleaner. In the research that I have done on the subject I can say this is very unlikely and misleading, any type of candle can be made to burn clean and for long periods of time IF made correctly and the chandler did their proper testing. I have never experimented with paraffin but do plan to in the future but the reason behind me personally choosing to work with soy wax was a simple one – the idea.

I love being able to say my wax comes from soybeans grown on US soil and supporting the agricultural industry. I love the look of dye free soy which tends to frost, creating a rustic old fashioned appearance. The qualities of this wax fit very nicely into the look and feel of what I wanted to create and reflects on my own personal lifestyle. I live in equestrian community with many horse farms in the area and love everything rustic and country. I hope you enjoy and if you don’t see a scent you are looking for just ask and I can try and find it for you.

Guest OldGlory

I started using soy because I have a friend who is a soy bean farmer in northern Indiana. Seemed like a no-brainer to support american farmers in this manner. With so many people losing family farms, land they've worked for several generations, I wish everyone used soy!

Okay, but isn't most of the soy grown by huge corporations and not on family farms? One of my mother's best friends grows soybeans on some land she owns, but she and her husband are multimillionaires from his oil industry job anyway, and they live in a spectacular home in the city, so it's not like they need the soy bean money all that much.

Edited by HorsescentS

On my website I have the following:

I have never made paraffin but do plan to this winter

100% Pure Soy

There are many debates out there about soy vs. paraffin. Soy candle makers will try and market on the “idea” that paraffin is bad for you to burn, releasing toxins in the air and claiming that soy will burn longer and cleaner. In the research that I have done on the subject I can say this is very unlikely and misleading, any type of candle can be made to burn clean and for long periods of time IF made correctly and the chandler did their proper testing. I have never experimented with paraffin but do plan to in the future but the reason behind me personally choosing to work with soy wax was a simple one – the idea.

I love being able to say my wax comes from soybeans grown on US soil and supporting the agricultural industry. I love the look of dye free soy which tends to frost, creating a rustic old fashioned appearance. The qualities of this wax fit very nicely into the look and feel of what I wanted to create and reflects on my own personal lifestyle. I live in equestrian community with many horse farms in the area and love everything rustic and country. I hope you enjoy and if you don’t see a scent you are looking for just ask and I can try and find it for you.

Can I steal this? ;-) J/K but that's a great explanation. Its kinda the way I feel only I like my dye free candle because I made it look more spa like.

Why did you choose soy to begin with? Whatever the reason was, just come up with a little speech that reflects why you chose soy.

The real reason- because I thought it was better for the environment and cleaner burner. Then after I started testing friends and such stated that they only buy soy so I naturally thought I needed to stick in that direction so if one day I did sell friends and family would at least give me a try since I did make with soy.

I don't think I can give this as my answer.

I don't do soy, but if I did, I might say something like: It's a matter of personal preference, and I personally prefer the way it looks, burns and smells...here, have a whiff...how do you like it?
Can I steal this? ;-) J/K but that's a great explanation. Its kinda the way I feel only I like my dye free candle because I made it look more spa like.

LOL- absolutely you can- I also first "thought" the whole go green - better for the environment when I chose soy but quickly learned its all a marketing hype

Unlike a lot of people- I don't get defensive in what I chose to make, some people CAN'T burn paraffin, my sister being one of them - it messes with their breathing no matter the fragrance

If you want to stay away from the whole debate you can cleanly state. "I have tested many types of waxes and this wax gives me what I believe to be the candle that I can stand behind. It is my vision of what a scented candle should be. Based on my 'x' years of experience making and testing candles my customers have agreed with me."

That way it's more of "I make what I can be proud of..." vs. I make something that is somehow better that what other people make.

I have developed a similar statement when I come across a cake customer that is bad mouthing other cake people and trying to get me to do the same. That way you are not in the debate at all, but you make a product that you are proud of and that you stand behind, and you can't do anything any better than that!!

Like Julia Child always taught us, Never Apologize, stand behind your product with pride and you won't ever have to be negative about anything. :wink2:

If you want to stay away from the whole debate you can cleanly state. "I have tested many types of waxes and this wax gives me what I believe to be the candle that I can stand behind. It is my vision of what a scented candle should be. Based on my 'x' years of experience making and testing candles my customers have agreed with me."

That way it's more of "I make what I can be proud of..." vs. I make something that is somehow better that what other people make.

I have developed a similar statement when I come across a cake customer that is bad mouthing other cake people and trying to get me to do the same. That way you are not in the debate at all, but you make a product that you are proud of and that you stand behind, and you can't do anything any better than that!!

Like Julia Child always taught us, Never Apologize, stand behind your product with pride and you won't ever have to be negative about anything. :wink2:

Some people would interpret that to mean that after all your extensive testing there is no way you can stand behind a paraffin candle, and they'll assume it's because soy is the only thing that will make a superior scented candle, when that's not true.

I wish candle makers would all say that according to the National Candle Association, based on extensive testing all the waxes are equally clean, equally green, equally non-toxic, so it's just a matter of personal preference and I personally love this wax for it's appearance, burn, and scent throw. Additionally, I take a lot of care to design a candle that burns safely and clean and even, and throws the strongest scent I can get out of it, with the very best fragrance oils I can find, blah, blah, blah...

Some people would interpret that to mean that after all your extensive testing there is no way you can stand behind a paraffin candle, and they'll assume it's because soy is the only thing that will make a superior scented candle, when that's not true.

I wish candle makers would all say that according to the National Candle Association, based on extensive testing all the waxes are equally clean, equally green, equally non-toxic, so it's just a matter of personal preference and I personally love this wax for it's appearance, burn, and scent throw. Additionally, I take a lot of care to design a candle that burns safely aInd clean and even, and throws the strongest scent I can get out of it, with the very best fragrance oils I can find, blah, blah, blah...

I wouldn't get that at all out that explanation - simply put it would be saying I chose soy in my testing because it gave me all of the qualities I was looking for-

If you explained that to me -choosing paraffin -same thing- I wouldn't think wow soy must be bad

And no matter what you do or say you can't get across to everybody that all types of candles are equal- they simply are not to all people- some people hate paraffin (my sister being 1) and some people hate soy

I wouldn't get that at all out that explanation - simply put it would be saying I chose soy in my testing because it gave me all of the qualities I was looking for-

If you explained that to me -choosing paraffin -same thing- I wouldn't think wow soy must be bad

And no matter what you do or say you can't get across to everybody that all types of candles are equal- they simply are not to all people- some people hate paraffin (my sister being 1) and some people hate soy

People only hate paraffin because they've been told by soy wax promoters that paraffin is bad, toxic, unnatural, not green, etc, all of which is false.

Some people are allegric to soy and have a bad reaction to soy candles.

Here's a soy candle maker who has done a fantastic job of telling the truth about soy vs. paraffin on their website: http://www.enchantingscentsdesigns.com/facts.htm

Edited by HorsescentS

Guest OldGlory

I had a customer very early in my candlemaking career who could not be around burning paraffin or fragrances. She also had sensitivities to laundry detergent, etc. All she wanted was plain old soy wax candles and said she couldn't find them for sale anywhere. I made them for her by the case a few times a year.

Wow, I would just be so sad to be sensitive to fragrances!

We do not use soy. We tried it, did not like working with it and did not like the hot throw. When asked about soy candles, we answer using what the National Candle Association says on their website. (we even have this printed out as a hand out)

"All waxes are primarily hydrocarbons, whether the wax is of animal, vegetable, or petroleum origin. The chemical composition of all waxes used for candle-making is similar, and all candle waxes burn in the same manner.

No specific type of wax or wax blend is considered "best" for candlemaking. All candle waxes - when provided in high-quality format - have been shown to burn cleanly, safelyand in the same manner."

Actually I have switched to paraffin. I found that I just didnt feel good when burning soy. My migraines and depression worsened and I just felt sick when ever I had a soy candle or tart burning.

Sorry, that was a bit off your topic.

Im not sure what you could say to customers regarding the reasons why they should choose soy.

If I chose to primarily go with soy I guess I would explain that it doesnt profit the petro companies at all and is grown rather than harvested at a by-product.

Actually I have switched to paraffin. I found that I just didnt feel good when burning soy. My migraines and depression worsened and I just felt sick when ever I had a soy candle or tart burning.

Sorry, that was a bit off your topic.

Im not sure what you could say to customers regarding the reasons why they should choose soy.

If I chose to primarily go with soy I guess I would explain that it doesnt profit the petro companies at all and is grown rather than harvested at a by-product.

Actually, soy cultivation does profit the petro companies because it takes a tremendous amount of oil and gas to cultivate the fields, plant, fertilize, pump irrigation water, spray pesticides, plow, harvest, ship, & manufacture soy beans into wax, etc.

Actually, soy cultivation does profit the petro companies because it takes a tremendous amount of oil and gas to cultivate the fields, plant, fertilize, pump irrigation water, spray pesticides, plow, harvest, ship, & manufacture soy beans into wax, etc.

That could be said for anything in the modern world that is harvested by machines and runs on gasoline.

Anyway guys thanks for all the replies. I think I have a good idea what to say now. :-)