Melts not throwing long.....

FaithfulScenter

Getting some complaints from tester's, melts are barely throwing 6-8 hours, which is just not acceptable. This wax combo lasted fine when I used it before, but not so much with the FO I'm using now, mostly AH/RE, NG, and Tristate. My combo is 50/50 M38 and tri 6380. Thinking of trying 4625 & 4630, does it work well with bakery scents? That's what 90% of mine are. I need something that goes 24-48 hours at least.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tested a bundle of combinations of paraffins. 4625, 4627, 4630, 4786 and 4794. I get great HT and I am happy with them but I get 12-24 hours of the throw I expect. I hope to soon crack the code to get the days worth of scent that it seems everyone but me gets!

Most of my scents are bakery and I have done well with 4625/4630, but honestly, I cannot tell much of a difference with any of the combos/mixes I have tried.

Ahh, the search for the perfect combination!! It's all driving me a little insane to be honest, I'm think I need to go back to a parasoy to get the results I'm expecting for my bakery FO's. Guess I better do some more research.

Have you tried using straight 6006 parasoy? That's what CS recommend in their clamshell tart tutorial video. It will shrink away from the sides of the clamshell and harden up, so it should come out of them easily after a week or so cure time. I spoon chunks of my old 6006 candles into my tart melter and they have a strong HT for 2 or 3 days. I used a high FO load and CS FO's in those.

Edited by HorsescentS

While the wax is a HUGE consideration, could you give us a short list of which scents, and from what supplier, is turning out to be a dud in your testers opinion?

The reason I ask is, there are some great scents out there, that for whatever reason, just will not throw for heck or high water, in some waxes, while they blow the barn door off with other waxes.

Fall Festival (MW) Amish Spice Loaf, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Blueberry Muffin, Amish Quilt (AH/RE), and from my favorite ebayer, Pumpkin Crunch Cake, Buterscotch Brulee, Vanilla Hazelnut Coffee, and Hillbilly Homebrew. I'm going to continue testing with FO load for the rest of the wax I have, and if I don't start getting better results I'm going to go back to KY tart blend, and try adding some more paraffin. I'm also DYING to test some 6006!! I might just have to order some....

ETA: Apple Dumpling from Tristate too.

Edited by FaithfulScenter

I researched a bunch on here for different wax combinations for melts- I came up with 22 different combinations!!! 22!! and I'm sure there are more! I'm ordering a bunch of wax samples to try, but I'm sure it somes down to personal preference, what works for one person may not work for another (with wax and fo's). I figure I should test just one fragrance(one that I know throws well) in several different wax combinations to check the differences- otherwise I'm all over the board testing different waxes and fo's, and getting more confused :) I just get too eager to try out some new fo's......

I love bakery scents too. But they do not last as long as other types of scents. I am starting to think that is just how it is. Many of my tarts will last 24+ hours, but my bakery scents average 10-12. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in and tell us if it possible to get 20+ hrs in a sugar cookie or pumpkin souffle for example.

With the 6006 being a container wax, is it not too soft for tarts? Do you blend another wax with it?

I add 4794 at about 30%. It hardens it up nicely. It is softer than pillar or votive waxes, but it works for me. I have heard of some people using straight 6006 for tarts, but it was too soft for me.

I've been considering getting a sample of 3022. Which wax do you like better? Which one throws the best?

My favorite is 3022. I was so frustrated until I got introduced to this wax. Love, love, love. It is very soft - so for tarts, you will have to mix it with a harder wax.

You can call Clarus wax and they will send you a free sample. They also have a 3020 wax that is like 6006. its a good one too. Good luck. Let me know what you think.

My favorite is 3022. I was so frustrated until I got introduced to this wax. Love, love, love. It is very soft - so for tarts, you will have to mix it with a harder wax.

You can call Clarus wax and they will send you a free sample. They also have a 3020 wax that is like 6006. its a good one too. Good luck. Let me know what you think.

Thank you! I'll call them on Monday. :D

How much is a high FO load? And is there another name for 6006, not sure what wax it is.

I think IGI 6006 parasoy is also called "Vintage Blend." The high FO load I was referring to was 9% to 10%. I even made some candles with 12%, even though the max for that wax is 10%, but they all got burnt as candles; so the leftover candles that I scoop chunks of into my melter were made at 9% to 10%.

Edited by HorsescentS

I just checked out their website, and was able to request a sample online! Thank you so much for sharing kt!!

Thanks! I'm looking at the Clarus webpage and I see that 3020 is a veggie/paraffin blend, and that 3022 is a high veggie blend. So, does that mean that the 3020 would have a stronger HT since it's got more paraffin in it than the 3022 which has more veggie?

And when they say "veggie" are they talking about soy, palm, or other veggie waxes?

Edited by HorsescentS

I ask for a sample on their website a month ago and nothing.

I would give them a call or send them a direct email. I have only had extremely positive experiences with them. Brad and Melanie are fabulous. You can PM me and I will give you Melanie's email. She usually gets an order out to me within a day or two.