Problems with my candles

Someone is interested in selling my candles in her store but I have been coming across some problems with the candles. First I found out that I need thicker wick or put two in a container. So I fixed that...Now the lady told me that my candles don't give out any scents although I put more then enough scent in it. Can someone help me because I'm absolutely lost here! Are there certain online stores that you prefer or like where the scents work?? Please I really need some feedback!!

I applaude your can do attitude, but I am going to burst your bubble here. I am not trying to be mean, just realistic. I think you need to give yourself a long time and a decent amount of money to research and test your products. It is apparent that you really do not know the basics of candle making and you need to do alot of research to fix that problem. Also, to sell candles, you need insurance, business licenses and many other "paperwork" type things before you sell. It takes alot of time, work and money to produce decent and safe candles for sale. Please do yourself and possible customers a favor and do some research and alot of testing. Most chandlers here have spent ALOT of money in testing and research, and while we are all more than happy to give advice, no one is going to give away their hard-earned "trade secrets". Again, not being mean here, just realistic.

Cheers,

Steve

Oh, I completely understand what you are saying Steve. I'm not looking for people's hard-earned trade secrets, I'm looking for feedback so I can learn. The lady that wanted my candles has her own store, she was just interested in my candles...I have done research and that is why I came here. However, if nobody wants to give me feedback because then they are giving me their hard-earned trade secrets, how can I learn then??

You learn they way we all have, by searching this site (and the whole Web) for information, taking that information and deciding what type of wax, fragrances, wicks, etc. would be a good fit for you and ordering them from a site (don't use stuff bought from craft stores, it is mostly overpriced and of lesser quality). Then start making and testing candles. It will be lots of trial and error, and some money you spent will be wasted, we all go through this. But it is the only way to learn correct procedures. Trust me when I say that there is no way around lots of failures and lots of changing the way you do things. That is the unfortunate reality of producing good quality products. Here is a link to suppliers by state:

http://www.suppliersbystate.com/state-listings.php

It is a good place to start. Go to alot of the sites and read what they recommend. A good place to start would be ordering a candle making kit from a supplier and jump right in. You will probably end up deciding there are things in the kit you do and don't like, and it is a good learning process. Believe me when I say it is not easy, and not cheap. But in the long run, you will learn how to make great candles that people (hopefully) will be lining up to buy.

Cheers,

Steve

Someone is interested in selling my candles in her store but I have been coming across some problems with the candles. First I found out that I need thicker wick or put two in a container. So I fixed that...Now the lady told me that my candles don't give out any scents although I put more then enough scent in it. Can someone help me because I'm absolutely lost here! Are there certain online stores that you prefer or like where the scents work?? Please I really need some feedback!!

Good Morning. I posted in your first thread, but I don't think you saw it... On 4/15/11 you stated that you just recently started candlemaking and had already sold 3. Now a lady wants to sell your candles in her store?:shocked2: As I mentioned in your other thread, I'm not trying to be mean, but it takes a long time and lots of testing of different materials - burning candles all the way to the bottom - before you have a safe, quality product. Then if you want to sell, you definitely need insurance, a business license, etc. or you could find yourself in real economic trouble. If it were as easy as going to the craft store and purchasing all your supplies there and melting, pouring, and selling right away, there'd be a trillion candlemakers out there. Many people think candlemaking is a get rich quick business, but it isn't. It takes alot of patience, research, testing, time, and a good deal of cash. It's very hard to be patient and slow down when you first start out and are so enthusiastic, believe me I know. I hope you will take this as constructive advice.

I may have asked this in another thread but a FAQ about starting a home candle business might be worth having on this site. I've started looking at what one might need and so far I have identified: insurance, license from the Town, County and State in which I live, all for tax purposes I suppose. Selling through craft shows might require more paperwork as well as selling over the Internet but I don't know.

As far as paraffin not throwing scent well, there a many kinds on the market, I have 4 on hand and have time to work with one so far. For me, my first task was wicking it properly, so testing and more testing, additives, more testing and once I get one that burns to my satisfaction I can work on the fragrance part. What i can say so far is that cold throw seems great at 3% but that is just with the Hobby Lobby low oil wax. I imagine that burning a 3% candle won't produce as much hot throw as a 6% candle but my suppositions have been proven wrong before in this craft. Also, 1 once of fragrance from one shop may not the the same strength as 1 ounce from another or formulation for that matter. So even making a "simple" vanilla candle requires the testing of wax, wicks, dye amounts and fragrance. All effect the final product and it's qualities.

I did sell three of my candles to two friends, one of them is the lady of the store. They were the ones who told me that something is wrong with the candles. Because of them I can now focus on what is going wrong. Thanks to you two I also know now that I'll have to experiment until I found the candle that is done right. Bernadette, I wasn't lying about the store! However, just like me this person doesn't know much about candles so we took them all off the shelf and I told her we'll try again once I have everything figured out!

Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm just wondering though if it depends on what state you are in?? I'll have to check into this...I too would find it worthy having FAQ about the home starting a Home Candle Business. I really liked the link Steve left me where I can find the products. I'm going to browse the internet a bit more and see what I can come up with to read!

For your info, 6 years ago I bought some of the Yaley wax and the zinc core wicks in small, medium and large, to test. As an "aside", if you bought the slab of paraffin at the craft store I hope you were making a pillar candle and not a container because that wax is not for containers and if you use it for such, it will come loose from the side of the glass with minimal handling. Anyway, if you power burn while testing, you will notice that those wicks will mushroom bad. Most customers will not trim their wicks, and the wicks can really get ugly if they don't. I also tried some self trimming wicks with this wax and they really turned out nice. Just for info...

I didn't think you were lying about the store...just wanted to caution you about having a tried and true product first, as well as license and insurance.:tiptoe:

First of all. Get rid of the Yaley crap. Overpriced and poor quality is my own personal experience. secondly, find the closest candle distributor and make a showroom visit or talk to a rep for some guidance. If you like parrafin, I recommend J-223 with a zinc wick in a smooth sided Mason jar (8 oz to start). You're gonna get good hot throw (ht) and good cold throw (ct) and dependable results. Try 6% per pound of wax (1 oz) in Fragrance Oil (fo) and understand that some fragrances are light by design and some others are heavy and cause the wick to burn differently. Use the search feature to look up all the posts about the wax and find out which fos do well in that medium. Buy some warning labels and read up with the search feature on anything that presents a problem. We'll help you all we can but maybe you ought to hold off on the business end until you have a tested product. Oh and if you color your wax I recommend liquid. HTH

Steve

In addition to Steve's recommendations, I would add:

1. One or two scents to start with.

2. One container size to start with.

3. One type of wax to start with.

You get the idea. In other words, keep it simple so you don't get overwhelmed. It will also help with the costs of testing if you limit yourself.

Have fun!

Edited by deb426

Welcome to the forums. You will find a lot of information here- read, read read. It is not so much the issue of trade secrets, but more of you selling candles, but you do not have wicking properly taken care of. I personally would not even give a candle to friends or family unless it was finished, safe and thoroughly tested. People that you sell to should not be the ones to tell you your product is not finished or ready for sale. Please, take your time and learn before you dare sell to someone.

Just trying to be constructive. : )

Thank you all so much for the information. Wow, I really overdid it thinking I had this all figured out...wow, what a dork I was...LOL Anyway, the wicking is indeed my problem. I looked at the links Steve gave me but not much in Minnesota so I'll have to go look in other states to see what they have. I did notice now that I have a regular big candle container with Parrafin Wax and two medium wicks and it only burns in the middle...Anyway, again thank you all so much for bursting my bubble...it felt good...LOL

Since most have never used the brand of wax or dye, or FO you are using it's hard to advise. I have been making candles for just about ten years and still couldn't give you an answer. I use soy wax and CD wicks, never used a zink wick in my life. I think most paraffin users add 1 oz FO per lb of wax, some less. But it depends on how well each one throw in the exact wax they are using. So don't take offense, we just don't know why your candles aren't working. Check out Peaks site and on the left side scroll down to the gray section. Check them out they are full of info along with several other suppliers.

http://www.peakcandle.com/

http://www.candlewic.com/chandler/default.asp

Edited by Sharon in KY

Sharon, I do understand where you are coming from. However, I was the one with the attitude of "I have it all figured out" while I didn't know squat about candle making...LOL I have check the places that you linked as well as CandleScience. The wax in itself it pretty reasonable, but it is the darn shipping rates that double the costs. I was told that the Ecosoya CB-135 is a good wax who throws good scents. I'm still looking into the wicks I need to use. I have decided to try small candles first just for tryouts! That way I can figure out the amount I need for colors and scents.

Oh, I completely understand what you are saying Steve. I'm not looking for people's hard-earned trade secrets, I'm looking for feedback so I can learn. The lady that wanted my candles has her own store, she was just interested in my candles...I have done research and that is why I came here. However, if nobody wants to give me feedback because then they are giving me their hard-earned trade secrets, how can I learn then??

By testing. And then testing some more.

You might get some ideas on where to get better fragrance oils by checking this board's Fragrance Discussion forum.

I did sell three of my candles to two friends, one of them is the lady of the store. They were the ones who told me that something is wrong with the candles. Because of them I can now focus on what is going wrong. Thanks to you two I also know now that I'll have to experiment until I found the candle that is done right. Bernadette, I wasn't lying about the store! However, just like me this person doesn't know much about candles so we took them all off the shelf and I told her we'll try again once I have everything figured out!

You should have already known there was something wrong with the candles before they left your hands.

Edited by SliverOfWax

Hey DCD! Love your "handle" 'cause I love dream catchers!

At the top of this forum, there are some "sticky" topics (topics that stay at the top of the forums for reference). They contain loads of information and links that are helpful to new folks. Here's a particularly good one that is a link to the old CT board: http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi

Look at the left side of that page and you'll see several links to great information, ideas and projects.

HTH :)

Hi! I know nothing about candle making, I make tarts and have done much testing and retesting with waxes, fragrances, curing times, etc.

I know how you feel and it can be frustrating to not get a straight answer. It has happened to me on these boards. I read these boards a lot and have learned some info by osmosis but again, have no personal experience. Increasing frag oil in a candle does not mean more throw. I have read posts that indicate too much oil can overload or saturate the wick and the wick will not pull up more fragrance.

I would say visit www.candlescience.com. They are an overall great candle supplier. They have paraffin and soy wax and you can read about each and even blend if you prefer. They have excellent fragrances (every supplier is hit and miss but candlescience is more hits than misses). They also have wicks and I think containers/jars as well as dyes.

Another really good one is www.naturesgardencandles.com. Again, more hits than misses and all the supplies. Most of use more than one supplier! But I feel confident for you to start with either of these as a one stop shop and then branch out from there. You might like the maple scent better from CS than NG or you might find better prices for wicks etc. Other board favorites, and there are many, are Lone Star, Taylored Concepts, Southern Scentsations,The Candle Source, Majestic Mountain Sage, Cajun Candles, Elements, and Aroma Haven. Trust me, the list goes on!

I blend my waxes for my tarts to get a good hot and cold throw but to me, hot throw is more important since I only sell on the internet. In a candle shop, cold throw AND hot throw will be important. I think another important thing I've learned just by reading is pouring temps so that the fragrance oil is properly mixed in (mix at least 1 to 2 minutes) and then the temp at which you pour into the container for better adhesion. Some waxes sink a bit I guess so you will need to do a repour. Again, I don't deal with any of this with tarts, just kind of picked up on stuff from reading this board.

I know the melt pool is important in hot throw and as it the size of the wick. If the flame is too big (big wick???) then the fragrance oil will all burn right away at the get go and the rest of the candle will be weak.

I'm not sure this helped at all except sharing those candle suppliers.

Bittercreek has a forum. They are another good supplier. You might want to read those forums. One more forum to try is www.dishforum.com. It is mostly for soap making but they do have a candle forum and a fragrance forum with helpful posters. Neither are as active as this board but every bit helps.

Good luck. This really is a great board and love it here. You'll get more help in time, especially if you have specific questions.

Welcome to the board! Where in MN are you located? http://cart.candlesupply.com/ is located in Northern WI and http://www.northstar3c.com/shop/ecom-splash/COREseo.html is located in south central MN. Stick with a supplier that you can pick-up from (if possible) to save bundles of $ on shipping. Seriously, you'll pay out hundreds+ on shipping if you have everything shipped in.

Hi DreamCatcher,

Welcome to the board. As you have already found out, there's more to it than melting wax :). I decided 4 months ago that I wanted to make candles. This weekend will be my 1st Arts & Crafts show to sell my creations. Reading this board has been invaluable to get to this point. It's not all about giving away trade secrets either, but tons about personal preference which comes from testing and experience.

3 months ago, I found a candlemaker selling out due to health reasons. 2 wax melters, thousands of containers, 100's of fragrances, several hundred pounds of wax, and lots of wicks. Everything needed to start into the business, right? Made my 1st candle and quickly found out I didn't like the container wax he was using. Someone earlier mentioned it as their favorite, but it doesn't work for me. New wax purchased that I like (luckily I already used GB464 making candles with the kids that I liked so not much trial and error). New wax, new candle, wicks not working like I want. More reading here, purchased several types of wicks, more testing, and I like the ECO line of wicks. New wax, new wicks, new candle and now I'm getting separation, frosting, ugly tops. More reading, more testing, well..... you get the picture. Also, searched out some ideas and found great advice, both business and testing, that has probably saved me some great headaches.

Now I still have to test every fragrance in stock to see if it works for me. So far, about 80% of them have been great but I've only used a few (and yes I still had to buy some more fragrances too). It's been work, it's been fun, and there is still money going out but not much in. Hopefully, this weekend will start to make it all worth while.

Thanks to all the support from family, friends, and all the great people here I think I have a very good product. With more research, experience, help from here, and testing it will get even better.

Good Luck!