Long lasting Candle (What wax to use?)

Hello

New to forum.

1. What is the best type of wax and wick to use in making candles that last a long time in a power outage, survial, and to use heat food if need to.

2. Glass or tin holder for wax

3. How many ounces of wax per hour?

4. Is there a way to calculate how long the candle will last or, do I need to do trial and error.

PS: I never made a candle before, Just learning how to

Thank You

You have a bit of a learning curve ahead of you, but yes, it is possible to build a candle that might favor your requirements a bit.

I would suggest researching through the search tool above for a few discussions involving rate of consumption or ROC. This is a rating that is given to candle wicks that tries to predict how much wax in ounces per hour the wick will consume. The rating is not accurate in all waxes and some wicks are rated by one manufacturer differently than what another manufacturer would rate them. So test the wick to see if it is performing like expected.

You might also want to learn about flame height and pool diameter. Wicks are often given these ratings as well.

So I would think a taller or larger diameter flame that has a low consumption might be a place to start. The pool diameter is going to be dependent on the size candle you choose.

As for the container, I think there are quite a few personal choices. If you plan on storing the candles, then a container with a tight lid might be a consideration and something that doesn't rust.

I don't know about cooking. Seems you might need to build a pretty hot candle to do that and hot candles need to address additional safety concerns.

Also, some waxes will burn slower than others and there are a few additives you can put into wax that might slow the consumption rate.

You're also going to want to test the candle for a power burn since it sounds like it might be used all night long to illuminate the area.

So I hope those are enough buzz words and research topics to keep you busy for a while.

Edited by EricofAZ

I don't know about cooking. Seems you might need to build a pretty hot candle to do that and hot candles need to address additional safety concerns.

================

Google sterno cans

http://www.sterno.com/retail/pages/chafing.html

For power outages these are good

http://www.calibex.com/fuel-cells-for-candles/zzcalibex2zB1z0--search-html?nxtg=141a0a1c0590-FF7E5C3B00F689F0

Both sterno cans & fuel cells can be purchased at stores like Walmart

Thanks for the reply

I was doing a search on differnt candles, and I see some of the candles that last a long time such as 16 oz Soy Wax Candle that burns around 150 hours. (Is this a safe and good wax to use)

I am not sure would they use pure soy wax or differnt additives to the wax to make it last longer.

Thanks

This is an interesting topic.

IMO, a candle wouldn't really be a survival tool, per se, but could be used as a supplement to other survival tools.

As far as using a candle to cook, I don't think you could generate enough heat. You would have to place your cooking utensil so close to the flame that the flame would extinguish due to oxygen starvation.

Keep in mind ambient conditions affect how candles burn. A candle will burn much differently in summer than winter, and much differently in a sheltered location than outside in open air and possibly wind.

I'm all electric. We had an ice storm a few years back and I was without pretty much everything, including heat. I was able to keep my large kitchen fairly warm by lighting 18, yes, eighteen candles, all lined up on my kitchen counter. As I recall, outside temps were in the teens. My candles weren't made to be survival tools, though, and I didn't attempt to read by their light or cook.

Soy candles might last longer, but they burn cooler.

Many years ago, I made what I called Emergency Candles, which were just plain unscented candles in a 16 oz canning jar. They were intended to be carried in vehicles in case someone slid off a road into a ditch. The problem is fire depletes oxygen, so they had to have a big warning to keep a window cracked open. That, to me, defeated the purpose, so I didn't fool with them for long.

Again, used as a supplement, candles can make life easier. I don't think you could depend on candles to keep you alive, though.

Hello

New to forum.

1. What is the best type of wax and wick to use in making candles that last a long time in a power outage, survial, and to use heat food if need to.

Lots of variables in making a long lasting candle. My longest burning candles were made with soy wax. The right wick will depend on what wax you are using. You have to test a variety of wicks for this.

You won't be able to cook food using a candle. As someone else mentioned get sterno canisters, campers stove, or barbeque. These are all easy things to store in case of emergency.

2. Glass or tin holder for wax

Are you asking which will promote a longer burning candle or what you can use as a container for cooking?:confused: See my answer above.

3. How many ounces of wax per hour?

A well made candle can burn anywhere from 7-10 hours per oz of wax. Again there are variables to this as it will take some testing to find the right wax, wick, etc. that fits your needs.

4. Is there a way to calculate how long the candle will last or, do I need to do trial and error.

Basically you find out through testing your candle. Weigh your candle on a good digital scale. One that weighs in pounds, ounces, and tenths of ounces. Write down the exact weight. Then test burn the candle for 3 hours and weigh it again. The difference in weight is what you use to determine the burn rate.

PS: I never made a candle before, Just learning how to

Thank You

Edited by Candybee

I always thought beeswax was the slowest and cleanest burning (thus why they are burned in churches). Plus with it's high melt point a beeswax candle will be less likely to melt if stored in a hot location (picture a candle laying on its side in a trunk of a car). Just a thought.

I always thought beeswax was the slowest and cleanest burning (thus why they are burned in churches). Plus with it's high melt point a beeswax candle will be less likely to melt if stored in a hot location (picture a candle laying on its side in a trunk of a car). Just a thought.

So true, and that's what most candles were made of in the olden days before electricity.