Liquid soap volcano

cowgirl4him

I just had my first failed batch of soap. I've made many batches of cp soap and have been meaning to make liquid soap for some time now. Well tonight things got pretty exciting! I was putting my recipe into the mms soap calculator when the website shut down on me so I used soapcalc.net and went about making my soap. When I poured the lye water into the oils it started foaming when I used the stick blender, as it got closer to the top of the pot I realized I wasn't going to win and put it in the sink. ALL the mixture bubbled up out of the pot until there was no liquid left. All bubble and down the drain:(.

I've been trying to figure out what went wrong and ran my recipe through mms as the site was working for me again and the lye amount was 2oz different.

Is that enough to cause a volcano? And has anyone here ever had a similar problem?

Here is the recipe: From mms

Fats & Oils

Fat Amount

(oz wt) % in

recipe Castor Oil4 10.53 Cocoa Butter7 18.42 Coconut Oil7 18.42 Olive Oil20 52.63 Total Weight38 Lye Table (NaOH)

% excess fat Lye Amount

(oz wt) 0 5.47 1 5.41 2 5.36 3 5.30 4 5.25 5 5.19 6 5.14 7 5.08 8 5.03 9 4.97 10 4.92

Here is soap calc:

Recipe Name: Print Recipe

Total oil weight38 Water as percent of oil weight57.277 % Super Fat/Discount5 % Lye Concentration25 %Water : Lye Ratio3:1 Sat : Unsat Ratio36 : 64 Iodine62 INS141 Fragrance Ratio0 Fragrance Weight 0 Oz transparent.gif

transparent.gif

IngredientPoundsOuncesGrams Water1.3621.765617.04Lye - KOH0.4537.255205.68 transparent.gif

#√Oil/Fat%PoundsOuncesGrams 1Olive Oil pomace52.631.2520566.992Coconut Oil, 76 deg18.420.4387198.4473Cocoa Butter18.420.4387198.4474Castor Oil10.530.254113.398 Totals1002.375381077.281

It didn't post the same as when I copied and pasted...

mms had the lye around 5 oz and soapcalc had it around 7 for 5% superfat.

As an introduction, I live in SE WI, I make cp soap, lotion, bath salts/scrubs and lip balms for friend and family. I only sell to people I know but I'd like to do craft fairs later this year. I'm always trying something new and usually just held back by the money I need to buy more products and ingredients. I live on a small farm with 3 horses, some chickens, dogs and cats. I work for a vet as a CVT.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys may have.

Not sure how to edit my post...but I did figure out the lye amount was right, when I recheck with mms I accidentally entered NaOH instead of KOH which I what I used for the liquid soap recipe. So now I'm thinking maybe my temperatures were too hot and that's why it boiled over? Having a hard time googleing similar experiences, guess I'm just special, lol.

I like using the summer bee meadows calculator for liquid soap. Did you use a crockpot? Why did you sf at 5%, just curious. I always thought temps didn't matter with liquid soap when you are getting a trace. I usually use the crockpot and didn't have problems. Maybe someone else can help.

Thank you soycrazy for responding. I used 5% sf because I'm used to cp soap. After more reading I discovered to not sf at all, *sigh*. I tried again this morning only using the crockpot (not my soap pot) and didn't get any foaming when I added the lye water, I also used a slightly different recipe w/o castor oil. It traced and set up well. Working on diluting it now and hoping the rest of the process goes well.

We learn something new everyday, right?