Selling tarts at craft fairs and Scentsy customers

I'm toying with the idea of doing some very large, well attended craft fairs. I would be selling wax tarts, clamshells, and souffle cup tarts.

My prices are easily half that of Scentsy. I wonder if Scentsy customers will nibble at non-Scentsy wax.

Has anyone done tarts at craft fairs and how is the reaction?

Many people here sell tarts at craft fairs.

It's impossible to say what customer reaction to yours will be. Unless you already have an established customer base, it will depend a lot on your presentation and sales techniques.

It's also impossible to say if you'll get any Scentsy nibbles. Some people say Scentsy has increased their business because the public is now more aware of what a tart is.

You'll just have to take the plunge and do it.

People go straight for my candles.I make less and less tarts anymore for shows.Haven't for a couple years but this year I MIGHT get back into them. Will stick to 15-20 different scents.Not go overboard like I did one year. The tarts took up alot room the way I displayed them. Going to find another way.

LynnS

I've always done candles but started with tarts at last months show and sold all but about 4. People would come to my booth, start talking about how they are Scentsy freaks and then pick up a tart and smell it. I love watching their eyes get big lol. :yay: Then they ask how much, and I tell them $3. Then their eyes get big again lol. Usually a tart customer would leave with at least 3 so I was very happy :D

Yes, I've sold my tarts at craft fairs over the past few years. You may start to build a customer base that way, which is why I started. I'm backing off doing more for now...maybe the one I like later in the year at a hospital, but other than that, I just don't have the time & energy for it. But many folks do very well at them, just depends.

I sold a ton of tarts before Scentsy ever came on to the scene... and I'm still selling strong.

Since I already have a large clientele base and it grow's larger every year... it was nice that Scentsy came into the market to enhance my business further.

I consider them an accessory in the marketplace...... :grin2:

I never worrie about scentsy at craft shows. The few shows I do the same scentsy girl does and I allways out sell her all the time. It is so funny watching her get so pissed as people walk past her with bags of my tarts and not hers. :yay:

Scentsy is overpriced. People go to these home parties and get suckered into buying a warmer and clamshells and shell out $40-50 for it!!! :rolleyes2

I love it when Scentsy tells their customers that they can only use scentsy clamshells in their warmers, and that others tarts wont' work in their warmers. LOL

Seriously, when a Scentsy customer told me this I laughed and said, what do you really think would happen if you put one of my tarts in a scentsy warmer?

Do you think it will explode?? LOL .

Then I proceeded to tell them it is a selling gimmick to get them to go back and buy their $5.50 clamshells!! I tell them are $3.50 and work great in Scentsy Warmers!

Sometimes I feel like hanging a sign at my shows that Scentsy is at that says:

My clamshells explode with aroma in Scentsy Warmers!!!:laugh2:

Edited by islandgirl

I've sold tarts in the past and they always did well. But like Carol K I can't give away clamshells. Go figure!

Why do you think this is the case? Aren't they both a form of tarts? I'm asking because I will be doing my first craft fair in May and curious about your thoughts... I hope this is not considered hijacking :tiptoe:

The hospital gift shop will only purchase my clamshells..They have two vertical spinners in their shop, at first they said we'll see how they sell I sold them 100 clamshells @ $3.00 ea. The gift shop sells them for $5.00 ea and the 100 sold out in just under 3 weeks....so now I pour 200 a month for them, they sold a bunch of tart warmers that I had purchased from the classes and my novelty tarts usually sell the best for me at craft shows but then again I've never gone head to head with Scentsy

Must depend on the area b/c I'm the opposite from Carol K and CandyBee. Sell tons of tarts in the clamshell packages, but, the single scalloped melts I would sell a few here and there. I just started giving them away as freebies with purchases till they were gone. Occasionally I make some for myself.

As for the orignal question, almost every show I do there is a Scentsy rep there. They usually have alot of lookers but not too many buyers. I always outsell them. I've turned my share of their customers to the other side!! :P

I used to sell the clamshells too & I couldn't give them away either :sad2:

BUT, I'm trying it again this yr - so, we will see how well they do now :)

I also see Scentsy at EVERY craft show I'm at & it is really 'not' fair cause, they order their products where I hand pour mine & work very hard at making all my products; well, you know what I'm talking about....so, I feel Scentsy shouldn't even be allowed at craft shows :P

I just said MY 2 cents & I feel better :cheesy2:

I wonder if, for all of us, clamshells will start selling better now that Scentsy is "educating" the world, one home party at a time, on this type of tart and packaging.

I've read on some consumer boards that tart customers will pick up the plastic scent from tarts in clamshells.

I had the same experience as Carlena--sold a few clamshells and warmers probably about 6-7 years ago (when I first discovered clamshells), but had to explain to everyone what they were, etc. I quit even taking them to shows because they just didn't sell. But with the surge of interest in Scentsy, I made quite a few and took them to the last show I did, and sold about half of what I took. So since candles don't usually sell as well in the spring as in the fall, I'm definitely planning to take lots to my upcoming spring show.

I'm grateful to Scentsy for doing the public education for me--clamshells are SO much easier to make and lighter to transport than candles! I ordered a Scentsy warmer last week so I could tell customers I am testing my melts in a Scentsy warmer--can't wait for it to come in!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever found out what wax Scentsy uses? I was helping my daughter move yesterday when she showed me a plug in warmer & tarts she bought from them. Talk about a slap in the face!!!! I asked if they were really stronger than my tarts and she said they smelled her whole apartment and just kept raving about them. She always loved mine until now so I'm wondering what the difference is. I think one thing is the different layout in her apartment than in the house she was in. It was plugged in on the stairway wall that allowed the scent to rise to the upper level as well as in the lower level. I'm going to take some more of mine over and let her try them in the new place. I couldn't believe she went out and spent that kind of money when she always got mine for free. LOL

According to their website under faq's this is what they WILL tell you about their wax....

What kind of wax is used in Scentsy Bars and Scentsy Bricks?

Scentsy wickless candle bars are made with a custom, high-quality paraffin wax blend. It is designed for a specific scent load and low melt point.

Did your daughter go to a party and buy some? I know I always hated going to parties b/c I always felt like I HAD to buy something. I usually ended up buying something cheap b/c I just can't afford to pay some of the riduculous prices that some of these places want. This is not just candle related. I don't go to tupperware, thirty one etc. In any case I can see where you're coming from with the slap in the face.