best wax for tarts

PrimBeginnings

Hello, I am new to this message board. I have been pouring (& selling) grubby primitive candles for a little while. I have decided to try my hand at tarts.

My formost question is about the proper wax. I see that many of you are fans of the Ecosoya PB for tarts, or have a personal recipe like 50/50 or 60/40 votive/container or even container/paraffin.

My first test was IGI 4794 and poured 1oz FO per lb (at 175). My FO came from BitterCreek North.

I passed out tarts and asked for feedback, this is what I got: can you make them softer (sticky), can you make them smell more when cold, can you make them smell stronger when burning ...

So I was wondering what should be my next test wax. For some reason, I want to avoid soy, but if it is simply a superior product that would be unwise.

should I do something like IGI 4786 & something soft like 4786? ... suggestions?

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer my questions. I know everyone is busy. I have been reading posts, but could of missed much, this place is large!

I would like to pour a high FO content ... like 9% plus ...

Aubrey :confused:

4794 is a good wax for tarts. I use that by itself or add CB at 25%. Either way, my tarts are very strong.

Because of shipping costs I can't buy KY's tart/votive blend but that is another very good one. Even the pillar/votive blend.

You shouldn't have to use more than 1 ounce per pound with the 4794. Maybe the Fo's you chose need more.

What is the CB you add to the 4794 and what is its purpose?

With regard to the FO, do you mean that BitterCreek North aren't quality enough, or that the particular flavors I chose need more?

Since my testers (neighbors & family) said they weren't quite strong enough, I would like them to be stronger, or have better scent through.

So soy has a better cold throw? As far as shipping I have to pay SH for any wax that I buy. The nearest wax supplier I am aware of is almost 4 hours away (DPS Morris Wax, New Lenox IL). I live in southern IL, if you happen to know of a few around me I haven't tripped across yet.

But doesn't soy not have as good of hot throw without very careful use? So would that make the tarts 'weaker'?

The KY wax is soy paraffin blend? Do you know the ratio?

I am not set in my form or pouring yet, like molded in muffin tins, plastic molds, or muffin linners, or portion cups, so wether they are able to pot out of mold isn't so important, but will the softer ones pop out of the tart burner when through with them?

If I add 25% soy to the paraffin, what type of soy should that be? Would adding 25% of a very soft paraffin have the same effect? I also read a little about adding vybar to increase fragrance hold, but it appears to make wax harder, and I've seen about adding petroleum jelly to increase fragrance hold, but it makes it soft (which is something my customers seem to want).

In order for my tarts to go here locally, they will have be very good, because there are some very established tart vendors that are very well liked. Compitition is tight!

KY's votive/tart wax is the best IMO. I've tried 4794 very little to no scent throw. Eco PB it was OK but had to let them cure for about a week to get a good scent throw.KY's I make in the morning burn that same night and get an awesome scent throw.. HTH

You may also try adding your FO at a higher temperature to make sure it binds. As for making your tarts softer, I don't know if that is something you would want to do, given the fact that removal of the wax from the tart burner/warmer will be more difficult if it is soft. Not impossible, but a firmer wax will "pop" out of the warming bowl.

I use a 50/50 pillar/votive blend for my tarts and have no complaints whatsoever, and I use 6% FO. I don't use BC oils though.

I have seen a lot of people say softer tarts might not be a good idea, but that is definately what is currently selling here (maybe I should say oily tart?)

to Debscent, what temp would you recommend for adding FO then? Something I didn't do is stir for 2 minutes (I saw that written a couple of places) What FO do you like to use (can I ask that here?)? I have no problem buying from other places, I just haven't branched out yet

to Cindy, I just bought today 4974, 4630, 4625, 4627, and 4786 to experient with combinations. If my 'testers' still didn't like them, I was going to pick up KY tart/votive wax on my way to FL next month. If I still need to continue searching I was going to try the J223 and OK6228 blend next. With the KY tart/votive blend, you need to use FO good for soy also, correct?

I forgot to ask earlier, in regards to FO,

My very first tarts had FO all over the bottom of them when they came out of the mold. I was told that I used to much FO (1oz/1lb), it was vanilla FO and 4794 (BCN said that I needed more wax) ... Can you tell if your FO has/hasn't binded to your wax? Are there any tell tell signs? Is it similar to having oily tarts?

I use 75% KY parasoy and 25% 4794 with 6% FO. I sell them as fast as I can make them. I added the 4794 to make my tarts a little harder, so it is easier to get out of the warmer, and they hold up better in transport.

If I make soy tarts I use Eco PB, I think it is the best soy wax for tarts.

I do notice few people so far pour more than 6% FO.

Those both sound like really nice mixes. I am curious to see the different blends side by side in the same fragrance ... will my testers notice ... I may get some of the KY tart/votive before I do all my testing so it is side by side the others.

Here are some of the blends I was thinking about:

75% 4794 (VB) and 25% 4786 (CB)

75% 4794 (VB) and 25% 4630 (CB)

50% 4794 (VB) and 50% 4630 (CB)

75% 4794 (VB) and 25% 4627 (CB)

60% 4786 (CB) and 40% 4627 (CB) (too soft?)

50% 4625 (PB) and 50% 4794 (CB)

With KY's v/t wax I use Fo's from all different suppliers and have never had a problem with scent throw. Shipping is a little high for me seeing I can get wax for tarts closer but it's well worth it in the end as far as I'm concerned. I PMed you

I have seen a lot of people say softer tarts might not be a good idea, but that is definately what is currently selling here (maybe I should say oily tart?)

to Debscent, what temp would you recommend for adding FO then? Something I didn't do is stir for 2 minutes (I saw that written a couple of places) What FO do you like to use (can I ask that here?)? I have no problem buying from other places, I just haven't branched out yet

to Cindy, I just bought today 4974, 4630, 4625, 4627, and 4786 to experient with combinations. If my 'testers' still didn't like them, I was going to pick up KY tart/votive wax on my way to FL next month. If I still need to continue searching I was going to try the J223 and OK6228 blend next. With the KY tart/votive blend, you need to use FO good for soy also, correct?

I sell many tarts. Have tried many waxes. I strictly use Ky's now. The scent throw is great. It is also easy to use as it is granulated. Some waxes were disasters. They would not hold the oils and ended up in the garbage.

I have been making and selling tarts for 6 years now and have used many different waxes, and I agree that KY :yay: is the best for scent throw cold and hot.....1 0z FO is all you need.

Very easy to pour and clean up.

Mary Lou

• 2 weeks later...

I use glass glow palm for my tarts. I just recently started making them and tried different palm waxes. I tried the pillar/votive (feather palm) and did not have very good luck with them. Half that I made got little pits in them (sink holes). Everyone of the tarts I made with glass glow turned out great, had a great CT and HT.

You can't go wrong with KY's soy/paraffin blend for tarts & votives, great throw hot & cold. Plus her fragrance oils rock too:rolleyes2 ...Been buying from Vickey for years, the best customer service ever :)

I use glass glow palm for my tarts. I just recently started making them and tried different palm waxes. I tried the pillar/votive (feather palm) and did not have very good luck with them. Half that I made got little pits in them (sink holes). Everyone of the tarts I made with glass glow turned out great, had a great CT and HT.

Okay so I just tried GG in my tarts and now I can't them out. Help

Okay so I just tried GG in my tarts and now I can't them out. Help

I am sorry, I failed to tell you I use the silicone molds!! I have not tried the metal tart molds, so they may stick with them. As I stated, I tried the feather palm (pillar) and I got these little pit holes in half of them. The silicone mold tarts are not as large as the metal mold tarts, I can make 24 at a time. I use the wilton silicone molds and have been very happy with how they have turned out. I have used the daisy molds and the heart molds so far. I also have sunflower and clover molds. I hope that I have helped in some way! I am a little curious if those of you who use palm wax to make tarts are you using the feather or starburst and do you have problems with getting sink holes in yours??

Most Vanilla's don't bind well in wax, maybe try to pour your FO in while your wax is hotter will help with your vanilla or you could try another vanilla to see if it would work better.

Heck some soy fo's don't work well in my soy so you can't go by that.

Even with just making Melts, it's not a cheap Hobby or Business. You must test each new scent even if you buy from a supplier and they have worked for you the next one might not.

You got alot of good advice I thought that I would just throw somethings out there.

Good Luck!!