How to use wick pins

I'm new to candle making and not sure what to do about wick pins

What size wick pin are you supposed to use with your mold? I have a seemless aluminum mold 3" in diameter by 4" tall. I got a wick pin that is 3" x 7" tall. My mold does not have a wick hole on the bottom and the wick pin will not go all the way down if I try and set it in the mold. Am I not using the wick pin properly or should I have bought a smaller diameter wick pin?

I just assumed the 3" wick pin was made for the 3" mold. Do most people use molds that have a wick hole or are molds without very common?

Well, it sounds like the mold and wickpin are not a match... I use concave top molds and the corresponding wickpins. The molds I have do have holes, so I can use the wickpins either on the inside or on the outside. I bought a flat-top pillar mold once that had no hole and was of thinner aluminum than the others I have - the standard wickpin did fit in there, but the mold was so flimsy I ended up denting the rim and that was that! I hope you don't have one of those! Check to see if there is the slightest dent in the mold - that would prevent the tight-fitting wickpin from doing all the way down... HTH :)