Molds for hot process soap?

Darbla

I have two wooden soap molds (the square, log kind). One holds 2 pounds of soap and one holds 3 pounds. Are they OK in the oven for hot process soap, or will that ruin them? And of course they have to be lined, for which I've always used freezer paper for CP, so with the low temps is freezer paper OK?

Yes, I'm a hot process dummy but I want to try it because from what I understand the FOs fare better in HP than CP.

Because I use my two crockpots a lot for cooking, and I think after you use one for soapmaking it is not a good idea to cook in it again. And I don't want to buy another one if I can do this in my oven. Or is it OK to in fact use a crock for food after having had lye in it?

I've done it. I'v done a few rebatches in my crockpot. Then when I'm done I just wash it out with warm soapy water. Its ceramic so I don't see how it would retain any of the soap residue like something made from plastic would.

Edited by Candybee

I have used my crock pot for cooking, but I do try to only use it for soap.

If you are going to do the cooking part of the hot process soap in the oven, just use an old stainless steel roaster. Maybe find an old one at a goodwill.

Candybee: Rebatching and using lye are too different things. I'll stir m&p with a spoon and then use that spoon later in food, but I won't use a spoon in a lye mixture and then use it in food.

I do have a stainless steel pot that I use when mixing up CP soap. So when I cook it in the oven, the soap mixture does not harden then? It stays liquid for pouring in molds later? I said I'm an HP dummy! I've done CP but not HP.

I wasn't talking about M&P soap.

I sometimes use my crockpot to rebatch botched CP. But you are right. Rebatching saponified CP and making CP in a crockpot are two different things. But I still use the crockpot for cooking once I am finished and cleaned out the pot. Some readers might be interested to know that.

I have put wooden molds in the oven for oven process when I need to rescue a batch of soap. I am not real sure wood would not dry out over time. I use hdpe mold almost exclusive now and if a batch of cp goes wonky I put them in the oven. I am assuming you are trying to accomplish forcing gel. I personally hate hp but do use the mold in the oven when necessary

I wasn't talking about M&P soap.

I sometimes use my crockpot to rebatch botched CP. But you are right. Rebatching saponified CP and making CP in a crockpot are two different things. But I still use the crockpot for cooking once I am finished and cleaned out the pot. Some readers might be interested to know that.

I know you weren't talking about m&p, but what m&p and what you were talking about have in common is both have already been through the saponification process and there's no new lye involved. It's lye getting into scratches in a crock and then the crock used for cooking food that concerns me.

I use wooden molds for cphp and for hp when you put in the oven. I use fun foam to line my molds so it is much easier to remove it and there is no messing with folding paper each time either. Love it!!

I use my same crock for cooking as I do soaping. I use cooking bags when we cook food.