Scentsy Warmers with bulbs not melting my wax :/

dcroome2005

I have a customer who loves scentsy ( She is a long time friend of the family and wanted to give my tarts a shot).. She said they are only melting half .. She said they are the bulb kind. The warmers I use are the ones you can get at walmart, bed bath and beyond and even ones with the t-lights. Could their warmer possibly not be getting hot enough to melt votive/tart/ wax that is para? Anyone running across this issues?

What is the wattage of your warmers vs. the scentsy warmers? I know I've posted this somewhere else here on the board about them...and the lightbulbs. First off they sell theirs for $1.00 each and depending what size warmer she has...the mid size warmer uses a 20W bulb and the full size uses a 25W bulb. My punched tin tart warmer (and I used to sell these) uses a 40W bulb.

My X DIL and her partner at the hair salon always used my tart warmer and tarts. Then Kristen/partner went to a scentsy party...a favor to a friend...and bought a warmer and tarts. Cathy/X DIL showed me the warmer and both of us agree...plus a friend of mine that gets her hair done there and we went went out to dinner with them on Sunday...said that you can NOT smell THEIR tarts in THEIR warmer. I am a weekly customer and during the summer bi-weekly and so far when I walk in I smell nothing. Not bragging but everytime one of my tarts was in the warmer that I GAVE them you could smell it. In fact I got many tart sales from their hair customers because of that. Another thing that I have noticed is...even the scentsy tarts are not melting fully in their own warmer.

I sure hope the people that were buying my tarts don't think this shit is mine...lol.

Oh...and I gave Cathy about 6-8 tarts...new scents that I wanted an opinion on...and she has never put them the scentsy warmer. She said Kristen wouldn't like it...IMO too bad...so Cathy was going to use them at home. I'll be there tomorrow morning so I must remember to ask her if she ever melted them at home.

I have one of the crappy Scentsy books here...Cathy gave it to me with a smirk on her face saying...maybe you'll want to order.

Also...meant to say that...scentsy stuff is WAY overpriced.

Edited by Maggie

I have a customer who loves scentsy ( She is a long time friend of the family and wanted to give my tarts a shot).. She said they are only melting half .. She said they are the bulb kind. The warmers I use are the ones you can get at walmart, bed bath and beyond and even ones with the t-lights. Could their warmer possibly not be getting hot enough to melt votive/tart/ wax that is para? Anyone running across this issues?

What is the melt point of the wax are you using? That may make a difference.

You're going to have trouble with a warmer using a 25 watt bulb melting wax unless the wax has a REALLY low melt point. The bulb needs a higher wattage to work efficiently with wax tarts.

I don't understand these Scentsy people.

Edited by sporadic

I loved CBL141 from CW. Made such beautiful votives. And I used the CBL129 for containers.

The 141 is probably the problem...not melting in the shitsy warmers. Shitsy claims that they use a special formula wax...and I think if you do a search here you might find other posts from people who have mixed different types of wax to get a MP low enough to melt in their warmers. Shitsy doesn't say what kind of wax they use...from what I can see from the tarts at the hair salon...it looks like paraffin to me...a really low MP paraffin but it COULD be mixed with another wax or additive. Cathy always has it in the melter when I get there first thing Thursday morning so I can't get a chance to touch one of the cubes. Maybe I will ask her tomorrow to let me see one of the packages and try to analyze it...lol.

What is the MP of the container wax that you use? You could trying adding it at different ratios to see if the lady can get it to melt in her warmer.

I do either an 80/20 ratio of paraffin to one pour parasoy. The MP of the paraffin is 138 and the parasoy is 123. And once in a while I pour closer to 50/50 if the fragrance oil has a lot of vanilla in it. I HAVE had seepage with the 80/20 when pouring like...Buttercream Vanilla. Sometimes just a few beads of vybar help with the problem.

Edited by Maggie

You're going to have trouble with a warmer using a 25 watt bulb melting wax unless the wax has a REALLY low melt point. The bulb needs a higher wattage to work efficiently with wax tarts.

I don't understand these Scentsy people.

Disagree. My melts are made with a blend of waxes that have a melting points below 130* and they melt perfectly in Scentsy warmers, even in the plug-ins that have a 15W bulb.

dcroome, my recommendation would be to blend in a healthy portion of a lower melt point wax to your currant one. Comfort blend (IGI 4627) comes to mind or maybe GB464. HTH!

Well here is the issue.. As much as I love her , she is very picky and she is the only one I know of all my customers who has a shitsy warmer. No one else seems to have issues with my wax. I really dont want to change my formula for just her or for anyone who just wants to burn from a shitsy warmer. I told her last night that she can get a cheaper warmer elsewhere or I would be glad to sell her one of mine. :) The container wax I use is the cbl 125. And it is 131 mp . I definetly dont want to start buying a soy wax either.

Call me being snobby or downright stubborn but I would hate to fix something that has worked for me for years to please 1 person. Does that make me a bad person?? I know that one person could bring me 5-10 new customers who could turn another 5-10 customers and blah blah blah but .. dang .. I don't want to fix what isn't broken for this stupid new shitsy company. /sigh

Can I pull my hair out now or later?? LOL

Disagree. My melts are made with a blend of waxes that have a melting points below 130* and they melt perfectly in Scentsy warmers, even in the plug-ins that have a 15W bulb.

dcroome, my recommendation would be to blend in a healthy portion of a lower melt point wax to your currant one. Comfort blend (IGI 4627) comes to mind or maybe GB464. HTH!

This sounds easy to do and probably something I SHOULD do vs being the stubborn person that I am but omg.. hubby will kill me if I bring in another wax. PLus she has already stated that she can barely ever smell tarts ( she only burns tarts) in her house because she has 20 foot ceilings and it all goes up there. Lord help me!

You certainly are not obligated to change just for one customer. One thing to consider however, is all the Scentsy customers who could buy your melts but don't because they won't melt in their warmers. Scentsy is really big, and if it's not strong in your area yet, it soon will be and I think you would be wise to try to capture some of that market. Just think and mull about it, dcroome. I have a scentsy warmer that I test in and can truthfully tell my customers that my melts will work in their warmers, even the plug in ones.

You certainly are not obligated to change just for one customer. One thing to consider however, is all the Scentsy customers who could buy your melts but don't because they won't melt in their warmers. Scentsy is really big, and if it's not strong in your area yet, it soon will be and I think you would be wise to try to capture some of that market. Just think and mull about it, dcroome. I have a scentsy warmer that I test in and can truthfully tell my customers that my melts will work in their warmers, even the plug in ones.

Your right.. You are all right. I should play around and try to make it work because I do want to make my customers happy. That is the point of all this right? :)

Here's what I would try. Pour some of your left over container wax into a clamshell to see if it releases cleanly, sticks, smudges, or whatever. Make your observation and then go from there. Maybe you'll want to add a little 141* to get your desired results. The perfect solution may be right under your nose lol :). I know of people who use straight 6006 (container wax) in clamshells with no problem.

You maybe could even eliminate a wax and hubby would be happy!

Oh...you are pouring into clamshells. I used the mix I posted for the fluted tart pans. I have a TON of clamshells here and sold a few...of course for use in my tart warmer using my wax blend.

I would try blending as IwantItgreen suggested...starting with your container wax and adding 141 till you get the right melt and the cubes release from the clamshells withouth leaving that film behind. We all want everything to look perfect...but honestly if the cubes throw well and release from the clams...who cares if the package has a film on it. LOL

Scentsy warmers warm to 130-135. Scentsy wax melts at 125. I have also used straight container wax in clamshells and the only problem I saw was the wax not releasing well from the warmer. Some customers don't mind, they melt and pour it out but really asking people to handle wax that could burn them is too much for me, so I blend container and pillar together so they do pop out, and throw awesomely.

Well here is the issue.. As much as I love her , she is very picky and she is the only one I know of all my customers who has a shitsy warmer. No one else seems to have issues with my wax. I really dont want to change my formula for just her or for anyone who just wants to burn from a shitsy warmer. I told her last night that she can get a cheaper warmer elsewhere or I would be glad to sell her one of mine. :) The container wax I use is the cbl 125. And it is 131 mp . I definetly dont want to start buying a soy wax either.

Call me being snobby or downright stubborn but I would hate to fix something that has worked for me for years to please 1 person. Does that make me a bad person?? I know that one person could bring me 5-10 new customers who could turn another 5-10 customers and blah blah blah but .. dang .. I don't want to fix what isn't broken for this stupid new shitsy company. /sigh

Can I pull my hair out now or later?? LOL

ONE picky-ass customer is not worth the effort........do what you know works and if a single customer has a problem with it, they can go elsewhere. I can't even count the $ I've spent over the years to satisify a single customer........this is what I make, this is how you use/burn it and if you don't like it, then go somewhere else because I'm not going to put out the $ to change my formula/method.

Don't get sucked into trying to please everyone because it only turns out to be money out of YOUR pocket....you might satisfy the customer but at what cost? When I first started making candles, I bent over backwards to give the customer what they wanted only to find out that it was coming out of MY pocket in the long run. Now 7yrs later, I sing a whole different tune - I won't make anything for anyone that I can't break even on and then it has to be a very special friend/customer.

Sometimes we get caught up in making special stuff for people only to validate our self-worth but when it comes to friends and their request for special applications you have to make that call based on you relationship with that particular person.

• Like 1

Here is an update.. I feel better knowing I went out on a limb and decided to correct the issue. I didn't want to go out and buy a $ 35 burner of theirs to test so I made up 2 samples of tarts and labeled then 1 and 2.. # 1 was half container and have votive wax.. # 2 was 3/4 votive and rest was container. # 1 was the winner . :) She loved it so I am remaking all her clamshells and resending. She is super excited and very pleased on how I handled this. I wasn't going to give in but I did some questioning to my customers and found out that about 6 of them have scentsy burners so it was best for me to make it work for them! I feel like I did a great deed for not only my customers but for my biz name and for my self worth!

Thanks for all the advice on what I should do !! Much appreciated!

Christina

• 1 month later...

I just recently bought 2 Scentsy warmers. Both had a 25 watt bulb. I put a 1 oz wax melt in each and only about a nickel size of wax would melt. I took out the 25 watt bulb and replaced it with a 40 watt bulb and have had PERFECT melt ever since. Don't know why Scentsy thought 25 watt was enough for a large warmer lol.

(sigh) I guess I'm the stubborn one. I refuse to buy one of their over priced products whether its their melts or their warmers. I have some Scentsy customers who've switched over to mine and none of them have ever complained about mine not melting. My IGI Paraflex 4794A has a melt at 128, so maybe mine has the low enough melt point to work in theirs.

I just couldn't see spending 40.00 bucks on a warmer when I can (if I have to ) go to Dollar General and get a 5.00 buck melter/warmer, and it work better than Scentsy's.

A friend of mine used to sell Scentsy. She told me they use a low-melt 100% paraffin... wonder if it's the 4630?

I don't understand their deal with the 25W bulbs; I think it's too low for the full-size warmers :rolleyes2

Then it would be XXX125...Couldn't resist when remembering the day they got all those phone calls.

Edited by jeanie353